2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

11 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Says who?

Well logic for one.  You have to go to the portal because you can't build a team with 1 HS recruit a year.  You run out of players pretty quickly doing that without the portal.

I think you use both to build a team.  I think Woodson has to overly rely on one over the other because he and his staff basically suck at recruiting HS players.  That is all fine and dandy, but I think convincing yourself that this is the superior way to do things because we are basically forced to do it that way (because of their lack of ability) is wrongheaded.  You write off a whole host of really good players when you aren't good at both.  And frankly, I prefer the better HS recruiter because in those short term portal recruitments, Indiana's historical advantages and Indiana's bag of cash will be much more of an equalizer there.

Edited by IUCrazy2

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Well logic for one.  You have to go to the portal because you can't build a team with 1 HS recruit a year.  You run out of players pretty quickly doing that without the portal.

I think you use both to build a team.  I think Woodson has to overly rely on one over the other because he and his staff basically suck at recruiting HS players.  That is all fine and dandy, but I think convincing yourself that this is the superior way to do things because we are basically forced to do it that way (because of their lack of ability) is wrongheaded.  You write off a whole host of really good players when you aren't good at both.  And frankly, I prefer the better HS recruiter because in those short term portal recruitments, Indiana's historical advantages and Indiana's bag of cash will be much more of an equalizer there.

Woodson has recruited some pretty damn talented high schoolers to Bloomington (two B10 FOY and another 16 ppg scorer last year) with another 5* joining the roster this year, all in a 3 yr span, so not really sure what the hell you are talking about? There is a very real chance next year that 4 out of the 5 starting roster spots are already covered 1 Rice 2 Carlyle 3 Tucker 4/5 Reneau with 3 out of the 4 all having multiple years of eligibility left and you're really only needing a starting big and a few depth pieces from the portal. 

Still right in the thick of things with Bryson Tiller and Mikel Brown who are both going to be Spring commits where Woodson seems to excel. Very real chance IU only needs 2-3 portal players next year to fill out the roster with only one needing to be an immediate impact player (a starting Big). But I'm starting to get the sense that you're always the smartest guy in the room.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I remember when it was a necessity to be a long term employee because if you wanted a retirement pension you had to get vested!!! As I ended my career and went into retirement the longevity of an average employee was considered 3 years?!? Times have changed!!!!

Indeed. I've never been at a job that offered a pension, regardless of years served.

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

Woodson has recruited some pretty damn talented high schoolers to Bloomington (two B10 FOY and another 16 ppg scorer last year) with another 5* joining the roster this year, all in a 3 yr span, so not really sure what the hell you are talking about? There is a very real chance next year that 4 out of the 5 starting roster spots are already covered 1 Rice 2 Carlyle 3 Tucker 4/5 Reneau with 3 out of the 4 all having multiple years of eligibility left and you're really only needing a starting big and a few depth pieces from the portal. 

Still right in the thick of things with Bryson Tiller and Mikel Brown who are both going to be Spring commits where Woodson seems to excel. Very real chance IU only needs 2-3 portal players next year to fill out the roster with only one needing to be an immediate impact player (a starting Big). But I'm starting to get the sense that you're always the smartest guy in the room.

I don't think we are in good shape with Tiller. He started to get crystal ball picks for Kansas

I am the only one currently in my room.  So yes, I am the smartest guy here. 😉

Whatever, I know this is the more optimistic forum of the 3 I visit.  Guess we will see how it plays out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Thank you, 

I am trying to make some changes in my life. The first was my health and I have decided to cut out sweets from diet. It actually have been easier than I thought. In the month since I have only ate 1 cup cake at my granddaughters birthday party. I have lost around 6 pounds and feel better.

Now my next thing is to change my priorities in my life and see how I spend my time. I have come to the conclusion is that I waste touch time on this message board. I also need to stay away from stress and I let this stress me out to much. I need to stop worrying about where a recruit is going to au college basketball. I also need to stop letting others opinion upset me so much.

Good for you! I get the letting other peoples opinion bother you. I think the problem is at times people when arguing/getting their point across are very strong with it and come off with a “keyboard tone” of not being friendly or making it personal when it doesn’t need to be. To me it’s a lot of times easy to get a point across without being mean or making someone else feel small to make a point on your side of things. The fact is we are all passionate IU fans but before typing we need to think how we would feel if someone talked to our kids or wife or husband the way that we talk to other members of this board. 

• Like 2

IU's out on Tiller

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am the only one currently in my room.  So yes, I am the smartest guy here. 😉

Whatever, I know this is the more optimistic forum of the 3 I visit.  Guess we will see how it plays out.

Take optimistic/pessimistic views out of it and look at reality. Reality of the the 25/26 roster should look something like this:

Starters

Rice

Carlyle

Tucker

Reneau

Bench

Cupps

Newton

Sisley

Goode (potentially if granted a 5th year and I've seen plenty of more egregious waivers granted in the last few years)

We are in the top 4 for Bryson Tiller and still remain involved with Mikel Brown. Chances of landing Brown go up significantly if Rice blows up this season. 

You should have 7 or 8 roster spots already filled with returning players with really only needing to fill 4-5 spots. You'll obviously need a starting 5 (Woodson has landed the best available portal 5 in each of the last two off-seasons) and then another 4/5 type player who can play ~20 mpg in a rotation with Reneau/Portal Big. Add a shooter and a wing or two and that roster is fine heading into the season. I see zero instance where IU needs to rely on a massive portal haul to contend, there need 2-3 high impact guys and that's pretty standard in this climate and not much of an ask with IU's NIL resources. 

Edited by IndyResident16

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

We haven't looked strong the past 3 years.  We absolutely should make noise this year but jury is still out.  I think there are inherent issues in trying to run a college team almost exclusively like an NBA team.

I don't think Woody runs it "exclusively" like an NBA team. But his experience in the this era of the portal, which is essentially free agency, has produced good results. This is assuming we're strictly talking about bringing in high end talent to Bloomington.

Woody's issue, IMO, has been getting ALL the pieces, getting them to fit together....and then getting them to execute.

IF (and it is a big IF) Woody can get this current team to gel, execute and ultimately win, could provide a blueprint of how we should expect future rosters to be assembled. It appears we have all the pieces this year. No excuses. 

If we under-perform this year, I think debating Woody's way works or doesn't will be a moot point because he will be gone. But I do think a strategy of only recruiting high-end HS players/filling out the remainder of the roster with transfers is definitely a likely scenario for this program (no matter who the coach is). It is essentially what UConn is doing - they're just landing a lot of the big names up front because they are 2 time defending champs and have a proven system that's attractive to high-end prospects. 

I had a beef burrito, a taco, mexican rice, and a diet Mountain Dew for lunch.

I just contributed as much to this thread as the incessant back and forth about missing out on a recruit.

We know where everyone stands at this point.  If we lose the National Champioship to UConn on a full court heave, one side will jump up and down and claim to be 'right'.  If we beat UConn in the Champioship on a full court heave, the other side will jump up and down and be 'right'.  

If Montana State beats UK in the Championship game, well THEN we have something to talk about. Just think of the Casual Gamer Reed videos that would produce.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I had a beef burrito, a taco, mexican rice, and a diet Mountain Dew for lunch.

I just contributed as much to this thread as the incessant back and forth about missing out on a recruit.

We know where everyone stands at this point.  If we lose the National Champioship to UConn on a full court heave, one side will jump up and down and claim to be 'right'.  If we beat UConn in the Champioship on a full court heave, the other side will jump up and down and be 'right'.  

If Montana State beats UK in the Championship game, well THEN we have something to talk about. Just think of the Casual Gamer Reed videos that would produce.

If Montana State even makes it to the sweet 16 you better sell your wife to the highest bidder to use for tickets and then find a new wife that’s a Montana State fan at the game!!!!

• Haha 1

How about IU just pulls the plug on High School recruiting. Save a crap ton of money. Woodson can play golf, smoke cigars and drink wine all summer. Fire the recruiting coach, save more money. Fire one or 2 assistant coaches that arent needed to develop young players, save more money!! Cut Woodsons pay for wooking half a year. save more money. The dept. could save $10 million a year easy. IUScott email Dolson my post since you have it on speed dial.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, IUDan93 said:

I think IU Football is proof that you can have success with heavy transfer portal turnover. It's not where you get the players, it's what you do with them. This year will likely provide the answer to the single important question: Can CMW win?

Apples and oranges. A new staff building a broken program from scratch is not the same as the inability or insecurity about recruiting student athletes from high schools.

The portal allows a new staff a much better situation when building to their style for the first time or even a current established staff the ability to fill an obvious hole.

Using it as an NBA style draft instead of traditional recruiting is not, in my opinion a way to establish a respectable culture or sustainable success.

Im curious to see how this “new style” plays out. I have serious doubts that 85% of our offense isn't going to revolve around the normal 2 bigs offense that we have become accustomed to. I think above all, this is the main reason we cannot attract elite shooting guards.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

How about IU just pulls the plug on High School recruiting. Save a crap ton of money. Woodson can play golf, smoke cigars and drink wine all summer. Fire the recruiting coach, save more money. Fire one or 2 assistant coaches that arent needed to develop young players, save more money!! Cut Woodsons pay for wooking half a year. save more money. The dept. could save $10 million a year easy. IUScott email Dolson my post since you have it on speed dial.

I get the sarcasm and to a point I agree. I liked the old way of building teams by recruiting and developing high school kids. It's just not where we are now. Until something changes, the portal is a major part of how teams are constructed. My choice is to accept that or find something else to do with my time. But, somehow I think you already know that.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I get the sarcasm and to a point I agree. I liked the old way of building teams by recruiting and developing high school kids. It's just not where we are now. Until something changes, the portal is a major part of how teams are constructed. My choice is to accept that or find something else to do with my time. But, somehow I think you already know that.

you need both. remember the year before when woodson whiffed on every guard in the portal.

• Like 1