2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree with everything you're saying, except the bolded part...

I'm an "old timer" and I embraced both NIL and the portal years ago, and, yes, I have contributed...

The people, at least in this thread, who have the issue with a "bought team" are younger fellas who simply have an agenda...they don't like Mike Woodson...it really hasn't got much to do with the portal...

From one “old timer” to another…👍

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Exactly! Now if the argument was we should take 120th ranked Indiana kids instead of portal players then I get it but my issue is Woodson doesn’t know how to get the SPECIAL Indiana high school kids to come here. I know I know I know winning cures all but I don’t care about future I care about in the moment in regards to recruiting and we had two top 25 players in our backyard one of which fills an ABSOLUTE need and yet people are happy because we can replace them because of money. That’s just a cover up for the underlying problem that Woodson didn’t come up with a good enough plan for a kid that has been recruited since the 8th grade instead the coach who in one year came up with a plan JH bought into. Mullins while not officially committed to UCONN is buying into a plan at UCONN with two other kids being recruited and committing at his exact same position. Doing the same thing over and over again is Insanity and yet Woodson does the same thing over and over again in HS recruiting to local kids and it’s not working. Yes I know Sisley committed. Let’s be real honest he wanted to be at IU as much as Leal and Galloway. 

We recruit and snag one high school recruit a year can't  wait until we have 10 portal players  in one class!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

There's no reason to think the transfer portal will do anything but grow. Guys will always want to move up in class and guys will always want a raise. Old timers might not like it, but that's the way it is. As long as we have the money, we will benefit from that.

I remember when it was a necessity to be a long term employee because if you wanted a retirement pension you had to get vested!!! As I ended my career and went into retirement the longevity of an average employee was considered 3 years?!? Times have changed!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know if it is just my age but I am getting burnt out with sports. To me sports is about the game but today it seems like the only thing that matters happens off the field. I just think they have over saturated the sports to where the game doesn't feel special like it use to. The last few years I have felt the NFL game has become boring and bland where most teams play the same style.  I also think with gambling and fantasy sports it has interfered with the actual sport and more people are worried about that than the game itself.

With college basketball I am getting tired of recruiting plus the NIL and the portal. I also think with all the media outlets and message boards it has made sports more toxic and less enjoyable to discuss. I would rather go back and find out your recruiting class on signing day. It made it easier to not know the misses you actually had and only cared about who signed.

I am so ready for the season to start and not worry about who didn't pick IU and actually enjoy the players who are on the roster. I am going to try to stay off  this board during the season because no matter what happens there will be a conflict between the fans. I have already stopped going to BTB because it is so toxic.

Sorry for the rant but I have felt this way for a year or so.

I encourage you to stay active as a poster.  You are an important part of our little community.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I encourage you to stay active as a poster.  You are an important part of our little community.

Thank you, 

I am trying to make some changes in my life. The first was my health and I have decided to cut out sweets from diet. It actually have been easier than I thought. In the month since I have only ate 1 cup cake at my granddaughters birthday party. I have lost around 6 pounds and feel better.

Now my next thing is to change my priorities in my life and see how I spend my time. I have come to the conclusion is that I waste touch time on this message board. I also need to stay away from stress and I let this stress me out to much. I need to stop worrying about where a recruit is going to au college basketball. I also need to stop letting others opinion upset me so much.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

As long as people are paying there will be portal options every single season. And the more NIL allocated, the better the talent pool. Why would that change? You're disdain for the staff clouds your judgement. I don't see any reason why IU needs to be in 2-3 year drawn out recruitments going forward. UConn recruited Mullins for what, 4-5 months? Don't need to waste time and energy on 17 year old high school kids for multiple years in this climate. 

You have to "waste time" recruiting the 17 year olds because that is where the best players are.  Yeah, there will be options in the portal anybody that eventually lands on your team was an option.  I just don't think you are going to be set up for any long term success landing 1 HS recruit a year and then going to the portal and getting 3 or 4 guys who didn't pan out or looking to get away from their current situation.  This isn't the NBA....yet.

Going after the HS kids and sprinkling in transfers seems to be working for the two time defending champs who just stole Woodson's lunch...again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I don't think many will accuse me of being Woody's biggest fan on this board.

The likely 'no' from Mullins does not come at much of a surprise for me. Many have said it: this system needs to show that they can use SG's effectively before we can expect to get a commitment from a highly ranked SG. 

That said, I think Woody's approach to recruiting is exactly what Indiana (this staff) needs to do. Note, I specifically said "Indiana". Not Purdue. Not UConn. With Indiana's resources, I think it makes sense to primarily recruit top 50ish high school players because why fill your roster with guys that have a low likelihood of getting playing time? And obviously, recruiting higher ranked HS kids results in a greater percentage of "no's.". High risk. High reward.

I say to these "no's":  who cares? Holes can be plugged in the transfer portal. Indiana has an advantage in the portal that most schools do not($$$$). They will use it. And who's not to say another Mgbako or a Tucker or a Scoop will become available in the last minute?

Let Pudue be Purdue. 

Let Uconn be Uconn. 

Let's stick to our strengths.

We haven't looked strong the past 3 years.  We absolutely should make noise this year but jury is still out.  I think there are inherent issues in trying to run a college team almost exclusively like an NBA team.

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

You have to "waste time" recruiting the 17 year olds because that is where the best players are.  Yeah, there will be options in the portal anybody that eventually lands on your team was an option.  I just don't think you are going to be set up for any long term success landing 1 HS recruit a year and then going to the portal and getting 3 or 4 guys who didn't pan out or looking to get away from their current situation.  This isn't the NBA....yet.

Going after the HS kids and sprinkling in transfers seems to be working for the two time defending champs who just stole Woodson's lunch...again.

Is that where the best players are though? Is one year of Haralson looking to get off 20 shots a game a better player than a potential 2-3 year player like Rice or Carlyle? I wouldn't think so. And the idea of spending 3-4 years for a guy who is only going to be on campus for 9-10 months seems redundant. No?

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

https://247sports.com/season/2024-basketball/transferteamrankings/

Look at this list and see how many big time programs are using the portal. Kansas has the same amount of portal players that we have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Is that where the best players are though? Is one year of Haralson looking to get off 20 shots a game a better player than a potential 2-3 year player like Rice? I wouldn't think so. And the idea of spending 3-4 years for a guy who is only going to be on campus for 9-10 months seems redundant. No?

Ware was 1 and done (at IU).  Ballo and Goode are going to be one and done. 

Mgbako was supposed to be one and done and now is expected to be a big contributor to the team as a sophomore.  Haralson may want to be one and done but their is no guarantee that happens.  I think that being one and done is even less likely with Mullins.

What you are saying right now is cope.  If we had a killer HS recruiter for head coach, we would be saying that is better because the portal is also full of Xavier Johnsons who aren't going to lead you to a title or that Ware, Ballo, and Goode are one and dones so you can't build around them.

I don't like Woodson.  I wear that on my sleeve.  I lead with my bias.  If I liked him, I would still be saying the same thing.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Ware was 1 and done (at IU).  Ballo and Goode are going to be one and done. 

Mgbako was supposed to be one and done and now is expected to be a big contributor to the team as a sophomore.  Haralson may want to be one and done but their is no guarantee that happens.  I think that being one and done is even less likely with Mullins.

What you are saying right now is cope.  If we had a killer HS recruiter for head coach, we would be saying that is better because the portal is also full of Xavier Johnsons who aren't going to lead you to a title or that Ware, Ballo, and Goode are one and dones so you can't build around them.

I don't like Woodson.  I wear that on my sleeve.  I lead with my bias.  If I liked him, I would still be saying the same thing.

Nothing is cope. Sucks to lose Mullins but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I also don't hate the staff which is probably the reason why I am able to look at this more objectively than somebody like yourself who clearly has an agenda.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

https://247sports.com/season/2024-basketball/transferteamrankings/

Look at this list and see how many big time programs are using the portal. Kansas has the same amount of portal players that we have. 

I never said don't use the portal.  I said I don't think you can almost exclusively rely on it because of your inability to land HS kids.  We'll see how Kansas does with that many new faces as well.

Look, I just disagree with you.  You don't have to agree with me and I don't have to be a Woodson fan.  As an aside, I agree with you on some other stuff, the current NCAA feels like the dead skin of what I used to enjoy thrown over the bones of the G League.  I am kind of negative on the whole thing and like you I spent most of my summer kind of staying away from most of this because there wasn't much to talk about and my dislike of Woodson is kind of a dead horse.  Getting close to the season and the public misses in recruiting drug me over to have a look again.

4 minutes ago, Sagamore said:

Cope?  Please translate for old people.

I used it first.  Basically I am saying that arguing that the heavy reliance on the portal is the best way to do things now is coping with the idea that we can't recruit HS kids well anyway.

If we had just landed a class like UConn is landing, the same people arguing that would be saying the exact opposite.

Edited by IUCrazy2

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I used it first.  Basically I am saying that arguing that the heavy reliance on the portal is the best way to do things now is coping with the idea that we can't recruit HS kids well anyway.

If we had just landed a class like UConn is landing, the same people arguing that would be saying the exact opposite.

Relying on a bunch of freshman in this day in age when other programs are retooling their rosters every year with proven, older, and productive players is just silly. I get what UConn is doing and UConn is telling a bunch of guys like Mullins they're going to be one and dones. But they've also told that to the current sophomores and juniors who have waited their turns. We'll see if it catches up to them. 

• Like 1

So, I don’t want to quote anyone because unlike those with clear and not so clear agendas I’m not going there! However, as a casual observer I’ll say that maybe the problems are with the teenagers and those that are advising them?? Tucker made it clear, he and his Dad had a plan! And when the pro development team collapsed it was Indiana and only Indiana! MgBako has a similar story! Can’t blame teenagers for chasing their dreams with the next bright shiny thing but I do blame the adults in the room who are advising them!!