2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

2 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Woodson needs to shake up his staff for sure. Someone that can recruit In-state. Someone who can work with shooters. And someone with extensive X and O knowledge.

I have absolutely no idea what Ya Rosemond does. I mean, none. Hunter works with big men. Which isn't as important as it used to be. Many guys can do that job. Walsh is pretty well liked by HS kids so idk about him?

Rice and Carlyle aren't here without Ya.

• Like 1

Just now, Fkfootball said:

Woodson needs to shake up his staff for sure. Someone that can recruit In-state. Someone who can work with shooters. And someone with extensive X and O knowledge.

I have absolutely no idea what Ya Rosemond does. I mean, none. Hunter works with big men. Which isn't as important as it used to be. Many guys can do that job. Walsh is pretty well liked by HS kids so idk about him?

The staff should be looked at.  Ya has had some success with Ware and the Georgia kids.  

I am not sure who all is involved in the coordinator positions but they haven’t identified underappreciated talent.  They go after a short list of talent that you could  identify with no work and access to Google.  

They have struggled mightily in-state and couldn’t get traction with their Kentucky targets.   We haven’t done well in the DMZ and Maryland.   

If I’m Scott Dolson, I’m looking hard at how much money and man-hours were spent.  I have called him a heroic figure but there’s forces that are propping the current staff.  

I like the current staff in terms of likability.  But ultimately the production needs to be looked at.  

21 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sentimental value is way too simplistic.  The state of Indiana develops well schooled talent that can play the right way with very sound, fundamental basketball due to historically top notch high school coaching. 

When you don’t take advantage of built in advantages then you’re losing.  Purdue does a tremendous job of building continuity by bringing in high school talent every year that coalesces and develops.  While players have moved nationally for schools for decades, by far your best advantage is to to get guys within a short radius, and even better when they are well schooled. 

Beyond that, there’s a significant issue with their plan and approach.   Not only do they consistently target guys that they  (can’t) don’t get, but they don’t have contingencies.  It’s absurd that they didn’t offer an in-state guy in Brady Koehler.  It’s safe to say that this staff wouldn’t recruit the likes of Brian Evans or Kirk Haston, OG Anunoby, or Tommy Coverdale.   They target the most obvious physical targets.  They don’t dig deeper in their scouting and identify talent that may be underappreciated.   They don’t build contingencies or have a nuanced and sophisticated plan of attack in their high school recruiting.   

It isn't too "simplistic". He's a good player that IU definitely could have used but at the same time not some unicorn player that you couldn't find in the portal. I'll take a 21-22 year old proven player for a year or two over an 18-19 year old Mullins in the same time frame any day of the week and I say that as somebody who really likes Mullins. 

As far as the rest of your post goes, Purdue relied on an international player to stave off the embarrassment of losing to North Texas, St. Peter's, and Fairleigh Dickinson in back to back to back tournaments primarily with those regional high school talents who coalesce and develop of which you speak. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

It isn't too "simplistic". He's a good player that IU definitely could have used but at the same time not some unicorn player that you couldn't find in the portal. I'll take a 21-22 year old proven player for a year or two over an 18-19 year old Mullins in the same time frame any day of the week and I say that as somebody who really likes Mullins. 

As far as the rest of your post goes, Purdue relied on an international player to stave off the embarrassment of losing to North Texas, St. Peter's, and Fairleigh Dickinson in back to back to back tournaments primarily with those regional high school talents who coalesce and develop of which you speak of. 

Maybe not "simplistic."  How about "grossly simplistic?"  I am not sure what your agenda is to pretend that it is ok that we lost two in-state top 15 players from nearby who the staff prioritized?  You're honestly not making any sense or being rational.  Purdue literally just went to the championship game while IU had literally zero big wins in the most recent season.  You're not accepting reality and just waving your hands.  

Mullins has a profile akin to Jay Edwards who was a tremendous player for two years.  Mullins could easily track that way.  IU can't find shooters and you're acting like it's no big deal.  If you want to believe that, go for it.  IU could offer the most money, allow him to play near his parents, and give him a lifetime opportunity, yet he chose a school that was a better basketball decision.  No matter how much you want to rah rah the staff, this is a significant miss.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Maybe not "simplistic."  How about "grossly simplistic?"  I am not sure what your agenda is to pretend that it is ok that we lost two in-state top 15 players from nearby who the staff prioritized?  You're honestly not making any sense or being rational.  Purdue literally just went to the championship game while IU had literally zero big wins in the most recent season.  You're not accepting reality and just waving your hands.  

Mullins has a profile akin to Jay Edwards who was a tremendous player for two years.  Mullins could easily track that way.  IU can't find shooters and you're acting like it's no big deal.  If you want to believe that, go for it.  IU could offer the most money, allow him to play near his parents, and give him a lifetime opportunity, yet he chose a school that was a better basketball decision.  No matter how much you want to rah rah the staff, this is a significant miss.

Lol, I literally haven't said a word about the staff. I just understand the dynamics and intricacies of this new era of college basketball. Missing out on a high school recruit who is likely only to be in college for a year or two is far from the end of the world. But if you want to fret over it, do you.

I just gave two examples in a post a few hours ago where missing out on two high school recruits ultimately bettered IU's situation for this coming season. Rice over Fland and Ballo over Queen is a win 7 days of the week. To each their own though. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Lol, I literally haven't said a word about the staff. I just understand the dynamics and intricacies of this new era of college basketball. Missing out on a high school recruit who is likely only to be in college for a year or two is far from the end of the world. But if you want to fret over it, do you.

I just gave two examples in a post a few hours ago where missing out on two high school recruits ultimately bettered IU's situation for this coming season. Rice over Fland and Ballo over Queen is a win 7 days of the week. To each their own though. 

Image of losing the top players  every  year will not end well.

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The staff should be looked at.  Ya has had some success with Ware and the Georgia kids.  

I am not sure who all is involved in the coordinator positions but they haven’t identified underappreciated talent.  They go after a short list of talent that you could  identify with no work and access to Google.  

They have struggled mightily in-state and couldn’t get traction with their Kentucky targets.   We haven’t done well in the DMZ and Maryland.   

If I’m Scott Dolson, I’m looking hard at how much money and man-hours were spent.  I have called him a heroic figure but there’s forces that are propping the current staff.  

I like the current staff in terms of likability.  But ultimately the production needs to be looked at.  

Mr Dolson needs to go to the BOT and show them what he did with the football program and tell them he will do that with the basketball program if they would take off his handcuffs.

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

As far as the rest of your post goes, Purdue relied on an international player to stave off the embarrassment of losing to North Texas, St. Peter's, and Fairleigh Dickinson in back to back to back tournaments primarily with those regional high school talents who coalesce and develop of which you speak. 

You realize Edey was there for all three of those losses right?  It’s not like we had those losses without him and then did better once we landed him.  Purdue’s best players have been from both Indiana/surrounding areas but also from Canada and Texas.  The point is Purdue builds from the high school ranks and supplements their roster when they need to (Lance Jones being the perfect example).  You build the continuity and don’t have to start from scratch every year when you turn over half the roster or more. 

Regarding your “I’ll take a 21-22 year old” comment I think it’s risky.  It can pan out but you never know if guys are just there for the paycheck. Can lead to all types of chemistry issues. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Mr Dolson needs to go to the BOT and show them what he did with the football program and tell them he will do that with the basketball program if they would take off his handcuffs.

OK...Look, I'm as giddy as anyone over the direction Coach Cignetti has our football team going...But it's been 6 games...6...I'm not sure that's a large enough sample size to crown CCC as the next Nick Saban...

You have a man crush on Shrewsberry, asking if Woodson would have taken PSU to the tourney...Yeah, with Pickens, Lundy, and Funk, I'm sure he could have...

Shrewsberry is 50-51 overall and 24-36 in conference play...If he's the savant you say he is, regardless of the circumstances, and if he was the basketball version of Cignetti, he'd be much better than that, no?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You realize Edey was there for all three of those losses right?  It’s not like we had those losses without him and then did better once we landed him.  Purdue’s best players have been from both Indiana/surrounding areas but also from Canada and Texas.  The point is Purdue builds from the high school ranks and supplements their roster when they need to (Lance Jones being the perfect example).  You build the continuity and don’t have to start from scratch every year when you turn over half the roster or more. 

Regarding your “I’ll take a 21-22 year old” comment I think it’s risky.  It can pan out but you never know if guys are just there for the paycheck. Can lead to all types of chemistry issues. 

Purdue’s model has been an abstract failure in March for the duration of Painter’s tenure. Glad that in year 20 the ball finally bounced his way with a once in a generation player. Purdue has no choice but to continue this model in the new era as it is not an attractive destination for high profile transfers and recruits. If Painter coaches another 15 years and never makes it past the S16 again I wouldn’t be shocked.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I mean you guys are one example of team building that’s been successful in recent years. Another example from last year’s final four is Alabama, who was heavily reliant on transfers. Then UConn is somewhere in the middle - with 3 of their top 7 players from last year not starting their careers at UConn.

IMO there’s no one way to do it. You can have chemistry issues with HS players just as easily as you can with transfers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Purdue’s model has been an abstract failure in March for the duration of Painter’s tenure. Glad that in year 20 the ball finally bounced his way with a once in a generation player. Purdue has no choice but to continue this model in the new era as it is not an attractive destination for high profile transfers and recruits. If Painter coaches another 15 years and never makes it past the S16 again I wouldn’t be shocked.

Easily one of the funniest posts I’ve read in a long time. Calling his tenure an abstract failure couldn’t be further from the truth.  Even if Purdue had unlimited NIL budget, I don’t think you’d see Painter changing his model and just going after guys that were only in it for the money.  He made recruiting mistakes 10 years ago and wouldn’t do that again. He could’ve easily convinced Catchings to stay but realized it wasn’t worth it and he was as one of the highest recruits we’ve ever landed.  He’s built a tremendous culture that players want to be part of.  Sounds like jealousy on your part tbh which makes sense. 

I think one can acknowledge that the portal has changed the importance of traditional HS recruiting, while still acknowledging that this staff has struck out two straight years in all of its top HS targets.

I also understood that one of the key areas highlighted for improvement for this staff (by Dolson and/or the boosters) was HS recruiting. If true, that suggests that the powers that be place a higher importance on this than some of the people here who want to make excuses.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Whiffed on our top recruits last cycle and came out better. Who knew 🤷‍♂️

I get your point but whether you or I like it optics matter and most fans want to cheer for as many local kids as they can because to them it means more. With that being said when is the the last time Indiana high schools produced this good of a recruiting class? We are getting one player from that group, ONE. It makes it worse three of them are best friends 

17 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I mean you guys are one example of team building that’s been successful in recent years. Another example from last year’s final four is Alabama, who was heavily reliant on transfers. Then UConn is somewhere in the middle - with 3 of their top 7 players from last year not starting their careers at UConn.

IMO there’s no one way to do it. You can have chemistry issues with HS players just as easily as you can with transfers.

Agreed. Important to realize, though, that NIL seems to really have ramped up only in the last cycle, so that seems to benefit the transfer side of that equation.

With the exception of Flagg (who I fear is the real deal), I wouldn't trade Ballo or Rice for any incoming freshman in the country. I don't see any reason to think we won't be saying the same thing next year with a new name replacing Ballo and hopefully Rice and others still here. 

A few 2-4 year recruits and hitting the transfer portal to get proven studs - that's the money ball of the NIL era. Let's play.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kdug said:

That’s valid. I know Purdue does a good job screening guys that they know will be a good fit. But it’s never perfect a la Catchings for example. 

1 minute ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I get your point but whether you or I like it optics matter and most fans want to cheer for as many local kids as they can because to them it means more. With that being said when is the the last time Indiana high schools produced this good of a recruiting class? We are getting one player from that group, ONE. It makes it worse three of them are best friends 

We ran a local back court of Galloway, Leal, Gunn, and Cupps just across the border last season and it was miserable. ALL fans want to see IU win and don’t think anyone would care where they came from if that were to be the case.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Easily one of the funniest posts I’ve read in a long time. Calling his tenure an abstract failure couldn’t be further from the truth.  Even if Purdue had unlimited NIL budget, I don’t think you’d see Painter changing his model and just going after guys that were only in it for the money.  He made recruiting mistakes 10 years ago and wouldn’t do that again. He could’ve easily convinced Catchings to stay but realized it wasn’t worth it and he was as one of the highest recruits we’ve ever landed.  He’s built a tremendous culture that players want to be part of.  Sounds like jealousy on your part tbh which makes sense. 

I didn’t call his tenure a failure. I said his model has been an abstract failure in March over the course of the last two decades and if you want to argue otherwise start talking to a wall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

OK...Look, I'm as giddy as anyone over the direction Coach Cignetti has our football team going...But it's been 6 games...6...I'm not sure that's a large enough sample size to crown CCC as the next Nick Saban...

You have a man crush on Shrewsberry, asking if Woodson would have taken PSU to the tourney...Yeah, with Pickens, Lundy, and Funk, I'm sure he could have...

Shrewsberry is 50-51 overall and 24-36 in conference play...If he's the savant you say he is, regardless of the circumstances, and if he was the basketball version of Cignetti, he'd be much better than that, no?

Shrews has grown to Stevens status for some in the last couple of weeks. Just let them roll. It's almost like with Underwood...2 tourney wins in his first 6 years and suddenly he's become a great coach in others eyes.

PS...I'd love to know what Coach Woodson's record is vs Painter, Shrews, and Underwood on his watch. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Shrews has grown to Stevens status for some in the last couple of weeks. Just let them roll. It's almost like with Underwood...2 tourney wins in his first 6 years and suddenly he's become a great coach in others eyes.

PS...I'd love to know what Coach Woodson's record is vs Painter, Shrews, and Underwood on his watch. 

Woodson couldn't beat him at pen St. He won't be at him at Notre Dame either. Not sure Stevens. But.

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

How we missed Ncaa last year with Ware and haven't  played a game this year.

In case your late to the party, this years portal bought team hasn't played a game together yet we are  much better off than kids born and bread in our back yard. Many of which grew up with IU fan parents following the Hoosiers each and every game.

I want to win as bad as the next guy but to dismiss our inability to keeps our ringers home is as disturbing as the excuses as to why we are much better off.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Inequality said:

In case your late to the party, this years portal bought team hasn't played a game together yet we are  much better off than kids born and bread in our back yard. Many of which grew up with IU fan parents following the Hoosiers each and every game.

I want to win as bad as the next guy but to dismiss our inability to keeps our ringers home is as disturbing as the excuses as to why we are much better off.

Exactly! Now if the argument was we should take 120th ranked Indiana kids instead of portal players then I get it but my issue is Woodson doesn’t know how to get the SPECIAL Indiana high school kids to come here. I know I know I know winning cures all but I don’t care about future I care about in the moment in regards to recruiting and we had two top 25 players in our backyard one of which fills an ABSOLUTE need and yet people are happy because we can replace them because of money. That’s just a cover up for the underlying problem that Woodson didn’t come up with a good enough plan for a kid that has been recruited since the 8th grade instead the coach who in one year came up with a plan JH bought into. Mullins while not officially committed to UCONN is buying into a plan at UCONN with two other kids being recruited and committing at his exact same position. Doing the same thing over and over again is Insanity and yet Woodson does the same thing over and over again in HS recruiting to local kids and it’s not working. Yes I know Sisley committed. Let’s be real honest he wanted to be at IU as much as Leal and Galloway. 

• Like 1