2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

28 minutes ago, Kdug said:

Reed Sheppard was the highest college player picked in the NBA draft last year. Mullins no doubt looks like he’ll be a good player, but I wouldn’t say he’s going to be at that level.

Not saying he's Reed Sheppard. Saying he'd be IU's Reed Sheppard. Local kid with similar skillset. Sheppard didn't even start much of the season. He just played harder than anyone else they had, had a high bball IQ and could flat out shoot. Mullins could do the same for IU next season. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not saying he's Reed Sheppard. Saying he'd be IU's Reed Sheppard. Local kid with similar skillset. Sheppard didn't even start much of the season. He just played harder than anyone else they had, had a high bball IQ and could flat out shoot. Mullins could do the same for IU next season. 

I get the local kid, highly rated comparison. I just don’t think Mullins will have the same impact Sheppard did. That’s not a knock, I think that’s true for all but one or two freshman. It’s just hard to say he’d do the same thing as a guy that shot 52% from 3 and had a 70% true shooting. That’s truly elite shooting, and hard to say any high schooler would replicate as a freshman in college.

12 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I get the local kid, highly rated comparison. I just don’t think Mullins will have the same impact Sheppard did. That’s not a knock, I think that’s true for all but one or two freshman. It’s just hard to say he’d do the same thing as a guy that shot 52% from 3 and had a 70% true shooting. That’s truly elite shooting, and hard to say any high schooler would replicate as a freshman in college.

Definitely, it's the sentimental value that stings. IU loses on a few top 15-20 kids every single season. If Mullins were from say, Florida, it's a lot easier to cope. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

From a skillset standpoint, they could be similar. Kentucky had gaping holes at guard, and Wagner seriously underperformed.  Sheppard was obviously much more prepared to handle the spotlight.

Sheppard was a double legacy,  and understood the value of how Kentucky and Indiana take care of former players throughout their lives. I guess we'll find out soon, but it doesn’t sound from rumors the Mullins family feels the same way. I'd still love to have him, so no sour grapes on my part. If he chooses UConn,  we move on and Mullins becomes relatively forgotten in the state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fkfootball said:

I'm just super salty over this. There is a big part of me that hopes this doesn't work out well for Mullins. I just cannot stand Hurley. That's what makes it worse. I wouldn't have been as mad if this kid went to Purdue or Notre Dame because it's in-state and I respect the hell out of Paint and Shrews and I know they'd do right by this kid. This Hurley guy is a level 4 🐍.

I can identify with this...hard not to feel spurned and salty.

2 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

I love Shrews, but due to his relatively barren roster he was able to make promises to Haralson that Woody (or Izzo or Painter) couldn’t make. 

IMO it wasn’t so much the promises on PT as the driving factor.  JH knows he will play.  It was his quote on basketball nuts and bolts that he could get from Shews.  

Woody recruited him the longest and JH seems to really like him as a person.  There’s warm feeling there.  Woody is good at that. He’s got loyalty.  But that quote about Shrews was damning.   

Woody is a loyal guy and that’s something his players credit him for.  There are warm feelings toward him.   But he really needs to look at his staff.   Two years of spectacular failures in high school recruiting is a real problem and needs to be diagnosed.   His recruiting coordinators and assistants should be under the microscope.  They can’t make up for Woody’s deficiencies in terms of basketball details but their approach is clearly lacking.   They have colossally whiffed.   The ROI on money and time spent is troubling.  The thoroughness and triaging of priorities is lacking.   

• Like 3

A lot of scuttle on Woody and his recruiting approach through both the portal and high school kids on X yesterday that I found interesting...

One opinion was that Woody resonated more with portal kids because they'd already been through the recruiting process and knew how much BS there really was from coaches...second time around, they were more looking for someone who was going to shoot square with them...and that's Woody's schtick...

Other side of that sword is it's not what some high schoolers want to hear, and that might be why he struggles recruiting them...

Anthony Walker said that when he asked around when he was in the portal, every player he talked to said the coaches that recruited them out of high school painted a different picture than what really happened, except JHS...Jalen told him Woody was 100% true to his word...

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it’s too early to make that claim on TKR tbh.  Playing next to arguably the best college big in the last 20 years the last two years has impacted what he’s been able to show.  This is the first year he’ll be able to truly shine and I think he will.

I think the portal is very hit or miss especially when you have to replace so many guys every year.  It can work but we’ve also seen instances where the chemistry has been off too.  It’s a crapshoot IMO.  

Agree…I am not big on the portal at all. Very hard to build continuity and culture in the program. Do you want to teach 8-10 new guys every year to play your offense….play your defense…learn all lingo for switches/plays to even get used to living and playing under the microscope of IU?!

I sure wouldn’t…I want freshman that grow and learn and pass along year after year what is acceptable in the locker room…where to be on the floor…what a good shot is in the offense…sprinkle in a stud in the portal ok sure…maybe a missing piece if we strike out in recruiting or we have a couple guys not developing. 

Sure a junior or senior helps more right now…but long term these freshmen grow and develop (if your a good coach)  and will help you more once you build up the program. Woody doesn’t want to build a program…he is too old and it’s too much work…just buy me a team and I’ll win…well he better…and the more you live in the portal the better the chance you bring in a problem head case and it can lead to inconsistent results…up and down seasons. I want to live in the top 15…and to do that you build a great program from freshman up.

Also I think TKR will be all big ten this year…I really do. Some people have to see it before they see it…I see it in him before he had a chance to show it…he will have a lot of people shaking their heads here.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

Just now, dgambill said:

Agree…I am not big on the portal at all. Very hard to build continuity and culture in the program. Do you want to teach 8-10 new guys every year to play your offense….play your defense…learn all lingo for switches/plays to even get used to living and playing under the microscope of IU?!

I sure wouldn’t…I want freshman that grow and learn and pass along year after year what is acceptable in the locker room…where to be on the floor…what a good shot is in the offense…sprinkle in a stud in the portal ok sure…maybe a missing piece if we strike out in recruiting or we have a couple guys not developing. 

Sure a junior or senior helps more right now…but long term these freshmen grow and develop (if your a good coach)  and will help you more once you build up the program. Woody doesn’t want to build a program…he is too old and it’s too much work…just buy me a team and I’ll win…well he better…and the more you live in the portal the better the chance you bring in a problem head case and it can lead to inconsistent results…up and down seasons. I want to live in the top 15…and to do that you build a great program from freshman up.

How long will it take the next two years for the staff to start the excuse making "The guys haven't played well together very long."  

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Drroogh said:

So, hypothetically I’m recruiting a player and IU is one of the main competitors?! I might go with ‘you want to know about IU? Just go read their message boards and get a feel for what you would be stepping into!’

Yep…look how they revere their all time greats….they are basketball royalty here…if you are that good then you should think you will add your name to those greats. I don’t want a kid that is scared of the internet….or Purdue. Bring me winners!

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Again, the sentimental value of losing Mullins stings, I've acknowledged that multiple times. Is it a program changing miss or even a season defining miss? Absolutely not. 

I think it would be….he’s rhe missing piece and arguably exactly what we need. We need two things…play makers and shooters…maybe we will have playmakers or maybe we won’t…who knows portal kids come and portal kids leave again too…Harrelson and Mullins are special. I’m glad we added Sisley but you add those 3 plus use the portal to build around them the next few years…now you have something special. Guys like Mullins with his skill set…very hard to find…even in the portal.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it would be….he’s rhe missing piece and arguably exactly what we need. We need two things…play makers and shooters…maybe we will have playmakers or maybe we won’t…who knows portal kids come and portal kids leave again too…Harrelson and Mullins are special. I’m glad we added Sisley but you add those 3 plus use the portal to build around them the next few years…now you have something special. Guys like Mullins with his skill set…very hard to find…even in the portal.

Haralson is a one and done and Mullins may be as well, at least that's the plan. How big of an impact are those guys really going to make, especially if it's only for a year or two? Both are plug and play guys, not guys you build around. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

How long will it take the next two years for the staff to start the excuse making "The guys haven't played well together very long."  

That would imply that we're not playing well...

And I don't think that's going to happen...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Let me start by saying I wish both of those guys would’ve picked IU, they both seem like they’ll be good players. But saying a potential recruiting class could be “special” before they play a minute of college ball is a little dramatic imo. Reminds me of 2012 - which was also a “special” recruiting class.

And you say portal guys come and go. Well so do freshman who don’t get the playing time they want. These guys seem like they would’ve been good gets, but they’re certainly not the only good players out there that can help IU win.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree this year, my friend.   This is a 25-30 win season with final four potential.   Good depth so that injuries wouldn’t be crippling.  

After that, who knows 🙂

I did see where Katz has IU listed as the #1 dark horse to make the Final 4 this year...

But I wasn't about to bathe in hypocrisy by calling him Nostradamus when I've ridiculed every other dumb list he's put out this year 🙂

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Woody won’t be here long if we continue down this path. Indiana basketball starts at home and ends at home. Yes we can pay our way to mediocrity, but our success will never be good enough long term. Not getting Mullins is going to sting. 

It will depend how long Mullins will be in college. If he only play 1 year it won't be a huge loss. Is a freshman Mullins be better than a junior Rice or Carlyle 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Definitely, it's the sentimental value that stings. IU loses on a few top 15-20 kids every single season. If Mullins were from say, Florida, it's a lot easier to cope. 

Sentimental value is way too simplistic.  The state of Indiana develops well schooled talent that can play the right way with very sound, fundamental basketball due to historically top notch high school coaching. 

When you don’t take advantage of built in advantages then you’re losing.  Purdue does a tremendous job of building continuity by bringing in high school talent every year that coalesces and develops.  While players have moved nationally for schools for decades, by far your best advantage is to to get guys within a short radius, and even better when they are well schooled. 

Beyond that, there’s a significant issue with their plan and approach.   Not only do they consistently target guys that they  (can’t) don’t get, but they don’t have contingencies.  It’s absurd that they didn’t offer an in-state guy in Brady Koehler.  It’s safe to say that this staff wouldn’t recruit the likes of Brian Evans or Kirk Haston, OG Anunoby, or Tommy Coverdale.   They target the most obvious physical targets.  They don’t dig deeper in their scouting and identify talent that may be underappreciated.   They don’t build contingencies or have a nuanced and sophisticated plan of attack in their high school recruiting.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Woodson needs to shake up his staff for sure. Someone that can recruit In-state. Someone who can work with shooters. And someone with extensive X and O knowledge.

I have absolutely no idea what Ya Rosemond does? I mean, none. Hunter works with big men. Which isn't as important as it used to be. Many guys can do that job. Walsh is pretty well liked by HS kids so idk about him?

Edited by Fkfootball