2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

6 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Yeah, that’s exactly what I said…

I would love to land these kids.  If we can’t it’s not the end of the world. It’s a new era. 

It isn't the end of the world.  There is a reason that I haven't paid much attention to this.  You can get by dragging people out of the portal with a bag of cash.  That is true, BUT, there are issues with the portal over development too.

What all of this amounts to is some pre-cope if Mullins goes elsewhere.  "We don't need HS players anyway, we'll just get a portal player...."  Yeah, but the two time defending champ coach is busy filling up on HS kids right now, so maybe that should give some pause....

At the end of the day, Woodson's lack of ability to actually recruit to this point makes him really easily replaceable if he doesn't start winning big.  I could recruit in the portal with 2 or 3 billionaires bankrolling me.  And if that is the case, so could any other coach on the planet.  Woodson's approach puts all the focus on Wins and Losses.  All of it.

He better win.

• Like 1

Haven't we landed a high school all American two off seasons in a row with Mgbako and Tucker 

Wasn't JHS and Malik very highly rated recruits? Wasn't Gabe a top 100 player? Didn't Sisley just commit?

Maybe it's not what some people want. But those tje claim that Woodson has shown a total lack of ability to recruit just doesn't hold water.

Maybe he doesn't land enough recruits, maybe not the recruits some people want. But he has absolutely landed some highly ranked HS players.

So the "total inability to recruit" is just nuts and agenda driven.

And I am not a Woodson apologist by any stretch. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Haven't we landed a high school all American two off seasons in a row with Mgbako and Tucker 

Wasn't JHS and Malik very highly rated recruits? Wasn't Gabe a top 100 player? Didn't Sisley just commit?

Maybe it's not what some people want. But those tje claim that Woodson has shown a total lack of ability to recruit just doesn't hold water.

Maybe he doesn't land enough recruits, maybe not the recruits some people want. But he has absolutely landed some highly ranked HS players.

You left the period off your first sentence.  

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Shhhhhhhh...please don't bring up guys like Mgbako and Tucker. Being 5 star guys from out of state they don't count. 

On a side note it seems the Anti-Woodson Club is reinforcing their position early this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

I find it funny that we didn't see any of the Woodson's haters during the spring and summer when we were getting all the transfers in. They weren't here when Tucker  committed or when a lot of the players decided to come back. They come out the first sign of a problem 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

We can survive not landing Mullins. But it's a 🚩 when you can't land players like this in your home state especially when you offered him a lot of $$. Im shocked that if not IU, he didn't look at Purdue? I mean we can all agree that Painter knows how to use a guy like him.

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I find it funny that we didn't see any of the Woodson's haters during the spring and summer when we were getting all the transfers in. They weren't here when Tucker  committed or when a lot of the players decided to come back. They come out the first sign of a problem 

Meh, I don't know. We have Woodson supporters. We have Woodson detractors. We have some still in the "wait and see" position.

But most all of all sides are long term posters who are here year round as part of this board.

It's just that, as is typical in today's society, people are locked in and adamant they are right and have zero ability to realize the other side may have good points as well.

But we have a small small handful that just jump on here when the timing is convenient.  Most are respected posters with strong opinions.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

Im shocked that if not IU, he didn't look at Purdue?

Purdue's NIL game is weak (despite what some of their posters say) and there probably aren't many minutes available next year with Loyer, Smith, Colvin, Harris, and Cox...

Or maybe he just got a look at West Lafayette... :) 

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Meh, I don't know. We have Woodson supporters. We have Woodson detractors. We have some still in the "wait and see" position.

But most all of all sides are long term posters who are here year round as part of this board.

It's just that, as is typical in today's society, people are locked in and adamant they are right and have zero ability to realize the other side may have good points as well.

But we have a small small handful that just jump on here when the timing is convenient.  Most are respected posters with strong opinions.  

I’m in the “wait and see” with doubts that it will change. I really like the roster he has built this spring. We are loaded. I’m just not confident he will change the style of play to get us where we want to go and style of play is a big reason in my opinion on why we might miss on Mullins. Lots of national media have the same opinion from what ive listened to. Love the roaster not sure about Woody ability to get it done. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

shall I pull up old game threads or maybe some post game threads?

• Haha 1

Also all recruits are not created equal. When you potentially miss on a 5 star kid in your half of the state with a skill set that we desperately need. That not great optics to the fan base especially with everything IU has to offer a player outside of coaching. 2nd 5 star from the state this year to potentially say no and this one is real close to home. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The problem with pretending it doesn’t matter is Woody’s own actions and use of resources say otherwise.  He recruited Haralson and Mullins for four years and expended a lot of resources in doing so.  I could write 5000 words on why we need to get high school recruits and I’m sure Scott Dolson sees it that way too.

I am not now, and never will be, in the camp to rah rah my way out of every piece of adversity.  Permissive mindsets don’t serve the program well.

But Mullins to IU is still logical to me.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

I will add though, that CMW said that they weren’t recruiting Mgbako or Tucker. Both fell into their laps. I don’t know how often you can rely on that. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Woody, it doesn’t matter either way, we need to have a good year and land some quality recruits for the trajectory of the program.  Coming off a season with no big wins, being humiliated on several occasions, and being the 110th ranked team at a place with the built in advantages IU has, we need to flip the script.  This isn’t a pro sport where tanking does anything.  We need success on the court and in recruiting to prove that we are capable.  If we leave the cupboard bare, it’s like quick sand and it will be harder to get the right leadership in here.  Quinn Buckner and Steve Ferguson are aging and we will not be trapped forever.

The roster looks like a Vega$ Tarkanian team as opposed to the 1993 Hoosiers.  But there are good players and they can make the Final Four with that roster.  We need it for the sake and trajectory of the program.  There’s no team that has underachieved with more resources and advantages than Indiana basketball and we’ve got to flip that once and for all.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I will add though, that CMW said that they weren’t recruiting Mgbako or Tucker. Both fell into their laps. I don’t know how often you can rely on that. 

I guess you’d have to say Bates and Reneau fell in his lap, too. Throw in the transfers whom I assume we weren’t recruiting for long either and all of a sudden I’m going to go ahead and say we can rely on that.

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Fair point for sure however I would say when they became available the first person they called was our Coach. That has to account for something i.e. those players families knows Woodson knows the game and has played/coached at the highest level for his entire life.

PS on a side note. I blame the Lakers in all of this. If they could have manned up we wouldn't be worried about UConn.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Brian Bowen “fell” into Pitino’s lap at UL 

It happens