2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

14 minutes ago, ObjectiveIUFan said:

Agree in general, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. 

And from an institutional perspective,  I'd think IU would want to evaluate how much bang it's getting for it's buck from a recruiting budget perspective given how much the University spends to fly Woody & Co. around the country for these types of HS recruiting results.

I think the athletic department is doing just fine. $144.7M in revenue.

I am sure the staff has a working budget. Within that budget is probably something specifically for recruiting. As long as that budget is not surpassed, I would imagine there would be no need to micromanage in which way the money is spent from Dolson, let a lone a fan.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I think the athletic department is doing just fine. $144.7M in revenue.

I am sure the staff has a working budget. Within that budget is probably something specifically for recruiting. As long as that budget is not surpassed, I would imagine there would be no need to micromanage in which way the money is spent from Dolson, let a lone a fan.

its ok for fans to talk about it on a fan message board though isnt it??? you know all of us fans here, talking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I'm sorry i thought you said change was coming. my bad. let me read it again.

I didn't, Mike Woodson did in the interview I linked...I said I'm sure he likes having the versatility on his roster to play multiple ways...

One kid watching one practice doesn't say much, if anything, about the style(s) of play we'll employ...

But, you know that...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Indykev said:

its ok for fans to talk about it on a fan message board though isnt it??? you know all of us fans here, talking.

i mean are we just here to complain about everything, if we are complaining about the manner in which money is spent in recruiting. Not how much, but literally how the money is spent. 

• Like 1

If the numbers are true and he is going to take $750k less to go to UConn then not much IU can do. He must really want to go to UConn. Landing these HS dudes is not critical like it used to be. Not getting them just leaves more money for transfers who are proven players. The only real down side is some people freak out. But IU is really not screwed, we just won't not know who's on next year's team until April. Some people say IU needs to play "modern basketball." Well some people need to become "modern basketball fans." High School recruiting and players transferring is not a referendum on the coach. Also, getting or not getting the top Indiana guys is not going to make or break you. If an Indiana kid is a "rising" five star, every team in the country is on him and that will include other blue bloods and the most recent national champion. IU may still land that guy but likely not. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I think, oh crap, I already forgot what I was going to say! Damn old age? Anyway this discussion is definitely entertaining for the off season!😂

Not my original thought, but when observing an issue, I tend to look at things like the log I sawed off! The 100+ year old tree finally fell because after surviving a lightning strike 20 years ago the carpenter ants finally killed it’s last main root! Look at the life rings of the log that tell the life history my friends!! 

I mean, I don't see how you can look at IU's recent offseason and not come to the conclusion that there are now multiple credible paths to build a competitive program.  We have to prove it, of course, but for as many HS recruiting misses as we have had, our roster looks incredible.  

Would we all love to grab 5* recruits at a clip of 2-3 a year?  Sure, who wouldn't.  It's clear that this is a brave new world and any program, but especially one like IU, can build a team in multiple ways.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I mean, I don't see how you can look at IU's recent offseason and not come to the conclusion that there are now multiple credible paths to build a competitive program.  We have to prove it, of course, but for as many HS recruiting misses as we have had, our roster looks incredible.  

Would we all love to grab 5* recruits at a clip of 2-3 a year?  Sure, who wouldn't.  It's clear that this is a brave new world and any program, but especially one like IU, can build a team in multiple ways.

When it comes to portal I love to see us get freshman transfers who will still have 3 years of eligibility left. This way you get players who have college experience and will get their best years at your school 

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

When it comes to portal I love to see us get a little t of freshman transfer who will still have 3 years of eligibility left. This way you get players who have college experience and will get their best years at your school 

Portal > freshmen for exactly this reason.  I'll take the 3 years of eligibility instead of 4 in return for a body of work at the college level to evaluate off of.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Portal > freshmen for exactly this reason.  I'll take the 3 years of eligibility instead of 4 in return for a body of work at the college level to evaluate off of.

My problem is what will Woody do with the talent. He is stubborn and set in his ways and didn’t adjust to his team like a great coach does. He’s been amazing in building a team this year but his defense is incredibly hard to learn and if the portal kids aren’t learning it then he has to be willing to adjust his defense to fit his personnel and I won’t be hard on him until I see his adjustments if they are needed. Tbh I don’t care if we get portal players or 5 star players I just want to win!!!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My problem is what will Woody do with the talent. He is stubborn and set in his ways and didn’t adjust to his team like a great coach does. He’s been amazing in building a team this year but his defense is incredibly hard to learn and if the portal kids aren’t learning it then he has to be willing to adjust his defense to fit his personnel and I won’t be hard on him until I see his adjustments if they are needed. Tbh I don’t care if we get portal players or 5 star players I just want to win!!!

Not sure the teams Woody has could have played a different style then he has. The talent has been heavy tilted toward big guys. We have very little guard depth and the overall quality of the guards wasn’t that good. 

This roster has flexibility and looks to have multiple play makers at the guard spot and depth. 

I’ll take transfer with two years left over freshman that are one and done. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

Not sure the teams Woody has could have played a different style then he has. The talent has been heavy tilted toward big guys. We have very little guard depth and the overall quality of the guards wasn’t that good. 

This roster has flexibility and looks to have multiple play makers at the guard spot and depth. 

I’ll take transfer with two years left over freshman that are one and done. 

I agree offensively but in this case I meant more defensively. We lost multiple games because he had to stick with his one defense. One of the games we only won because somehow an assistant actually convinced him to switch and it worked yet he barely went back to it.

56 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

It’s not terribly hard to learn it’s a bad scheme in today’s game which puts an emphasis on leaving players on the perimeter to Over help on drives and sit in the gaps. It’s why we get lit up constantly on kick out 3’s and our defense has gotten worse every year under Woody. 

• Like 1

I can tell you one thing…having little to no recruiting classes makes firing a guy a lot easier then having a ton of potential coming in and something building…easy to just rip the bandaid off and start over especially when the next guy can just pay for assassins in the portal too. I’m hoping Woody comes through but you keep striking out while the team up North is winning B1G titles and making FFs you better win on the court or you will be gone like Archie…the prospect of no reinforcements are coming will just make the decision that much easier to part ways if that time comes.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I can tell you one thing…having little to no recruiting classes makes firing a guy a lot easier then having a ton of potential coming in and something building…easy to just rip the bandaid off and start over especially when the next guy can just pay for assassins in the portal too. I’m hoping Woody comes through but you keep striking out while the team up North is winning B1G titles and making FFs you better win on the court or you will be gone like Archie…the prospect of no reinforcements are coming will just make the decision that much easier to part ways if that time comes.

With the portal it doesn’t matter

UL a and UK had zero players after firing their coaches

• Haha 1