2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

Well this looks like this recruitment is ending in another disappointment.

I am ready for the season to start because I am tired of hearing about recruiting and the Portal/NIL.

If he does choose UCONN it is obvious it is because they are the top program right now. Also he can actually see what his re can be in their offense compared to us saying we are changing our offense.

The only other thing is that about  two weeks before Harrelson's commitment everyone thought he was going to IU and didn't select us.

I also still think you need to build most of your roster with high school recruiting and supplement that with the portal. I am to the point where I have a lot of concern with Woodson and his recruiting if the high school players. We got in early with both Harrelson and Mullins and still  couldn't get them 

Edited by IU Scott

We've missed on a lot of big HS recruits. We've done better with highly rated portal guys.

Hunter and Coach Ya both told Woodson that they should go after the kids they know they can land. Woodson wants the Kansas, Duke, UNC, type of kids. Go look at Shrewsberrys class. I'd take that class over "just Sisley" any day of the week.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well this looks like this recruitment is ending in another disappointment.

I am ready for the season to start because I am tired of hearing about recruiting and the Portal/NIL.

If he does choose UCONN it is obvious it is because they are the top program right now. Also he can actually see what his re can be in their offense compared to us saying we are changing our offense.

The only other thing is that about  two weeks before Harrelson's commitment everyone thought he was going to IU and didn't select us.

I also still think you need to build most of your roster with high school recruiting and supplement that with the portal. I am to the point where I have a lot of concern with Woodson and his recruiting if the high school players. We got in early with both Harrelson and Mullins and still  couldn't get them 

This is the least interested I have been in the offseason in a long time.  I don't think the staff emphasizes HS recruiting (outside looking in) and is instead more interested in the portal.  (That is a positive framing.  More negatively, they suck at building long term relationships and end up fumbling the bag with HS kids and instead are better in the short portal windows when $$$$$ is much more of a deciding factor.)

Woodson lost me last year.  I think that is the main reason I have been far less interested.  The only thing that really matters is him winning big.  23 wins with this roster won't move the dial for me.  He needs to get it done now and if he doesn't this year, I think he needs to go and we need to bring someone fresh in.

I also think Dakich is over the top a bit in his criticism but I think that there is a kernel of truth with what he seems to be upset about.  Our whole program reeks of unearned arrogance right now, top to bottom.  I am just not a fan of the way it presents itself at times.

So tl/dr...Woodson needs to win.  Like now.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I stole this from another IU board. But it makes sense.

"This discussion about the football program success affecting the basketball program is interesting. I'd bet Scott Dolson sees the work ethic and professionalism of the football staff and gets a real clear picture of why the basketball program has been mediocre."

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fkfootball said:

We've missed on a lot of big HS recruits. We've done better with highly rated portal guys.

Hunter and Coach Ya both told Woodson that they should go after the kids they know they can land. Woodson wants the Kansas, Duke, UNC, type of kids. Go look at Shrewsberrys class. I'd take that class over "just Sisley" any day of the week.

Yeah, but Mullins is a kid we SHOULD land.  Period.  Missing out on him (if it happens) would be no bueno.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fkfootball said:

I stole this from another IU board. But it makes sense.

"This discussion about the football program success affecting the basketball program is interesting. I'd bet Scott Dolson sees the work ethic and professionalism of the football staff and gets a real clear picture of why the basketball program has been mediocre."

Yes, I think that is part of what I was trying to get at above but said better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Yeah, but Mullins is a kid we SHOULD land.  Period.  Missing out on him (if it happens) would be no bueno.

I'm not suprised that a coach that fired Dane Fife because the players preferred to listen to him, or a guy that they had to actually tell him, "you need to be out recruiting HS kids" is struggling recruiting in-state. But as long as Quinn Buckner has his guy, it doesn't matter.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I have no idea what he’s doing and I am way past being that invested.  But this board is a small sample size of the fan base.   There’s a large tsunami of fans who aren’t going to post here or care about an AAU tourney in Fishers in June but they will notice the final tally when it comes to recruits.

And not all recruitments are equal.   If we don’t get BM, and I sure hope we do, this may get a yawn here but it will not be well received by the larger fan base.  This is not a guy Woody wants to miss.  There will be considerable backlash and it will last for as long as BM plays.  This is DEFCON 1.

We are going to have a good season because of the roster but this will get noticed anyway.  A top 25 kid perceived as a classic IU type — and one who can shoot lights out to boot after IU’s struggles that way — is not a guy the fan base at large will look away from.  Woody is not dumb and is surely aware of that.  Not every recruit is at the same level of importance.  This young man is out of central casting for an IU player and if he leaves despite all the advantages it means in-state for life, it will be seen as damning.  Don’t kid yourself.  

Recruiting is still just a means to an end. No doubt there are some fans - especially in this state - who follow the high school level and want to see those kids at IU. I'd wager many more fans - especially those not on message boards like this one - don't really care how the sausage gets made, they just want a good product on the court. Win, and missing on Braylon, well it isn't forgotten because this fan base always remembers, but it becomes a footnote.

Also, whether by design or by chance, Woodson's seeming preference for short, free-agency style recruitments perfectly matches this portal era. HS recruiting just doesn't matter like it used to. I'm hesitant to think Woodson is being ahead of the curve on this trend; He wanted the job for years before the portal was a thing. But it's quite likely the fans are behind the curve. Why spend years on Braylon when you can spend months or weeks on Myles Rice? And Rice will be on campus sooner, you don't have to keep spending even more time and resources flattering him after the commitment to make sure he doesn't cold feet like Liam.

Losing Braylon is a bummer. I want good players at Indiana. But we have quite a few on the roster right now. And with the portal it's never too late to add more after the season. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

I'm not suprised that a coach that fired Dane Fife because the players preferred to listen to him, or a guy that they had to actually tell him, "you need to be out recruiting HS kids" is struggling recruiting in-state. But as long as Quinn Buckner has his guy, it doesn't matter.

Dane Fife firing coming back to continue to haunt CMW.  He should still be on staff period.  Dont want to derail the thread with Fife.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Fkfootball said:

It's been a few years, what's Dane Fife up to these days? Coaching anywhere else? No? Huh.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

This is the least interested I have been in the offseason in a long time.  I don't think the staff emphasizes HS recruiting (outside looking in) and is instead more interested in the portal.  (That is a positive framing.  More negatively, they suck at building long term relationships and end up fumbling the bag with HS kids and instead are better in the short portal windows when $$$$$ is much more of a deciding factor.)

Woodson lost me last year.  I think that is the main reason I have been far less interested.  The only thing that really matters is him winning big.  23 wins with this roster won't move the dial for me.  He needs to get it done now and if he doesn't this year, I think he needs to go and we need to bring someone fresh in.

I also think Dakich is over the top a bit in his criticism but I think that there is a kernel of truth with what he seems to be upset about.  Our whole program reeks of unearned arrogance right now, top to bottom.  I am just not a fan of the way it presents itself at times.

You can't say they have little interest in high school recruiting this off season, maybe in the past. They worked their ass off this spring and summer going to AAU events. They went to a lot of in person visits with recruits.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's been a few years, what's Dane Fife up to these days? Coaching anywhere else? No? Huh.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If Fife is that great why isn't he coaching

Ties and putting more effort into the AAU circuit, broadcasting, etc waiting for the right opportunity to present itself.  Not in a hurry.  I speak with Dane every other month or so I'd say.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He'll win just enough to get another year nothing more.  Think 3-5 in the league and a S16 blowout.  Truly a mind boggling hire.  

• Like 1

You can't say they have little interest in high school recruiting this off season, maybe in the past. They worked their ass off this spring and summer going to AAU events. They went to a lot of in person visits with recruits.

That may be too little, too late. (Jury is still out on this one) You don't just get to work your ass off to land kids the last 4 or 5 months of their recruiting cycle.  You need that energy early and often and it has to continue the entire time you are recruiting them.  Fair or not, Woodson was taking a ton of heat coming off last season for how he was approaching HS recruiting.  All that energy seemed to increase exactly at the point when the grumbling had gotten really loud.  I wear my dislike for Woodson as a coach on my sleeve, so take this as you will, but a guy being forced to do something is going to show in lack of results compared to someone whose heart is fully in it.  I don't think Woodson is in on the HS recruits that don't have a bunch of stars after their name.  He waited too long on Mullins and has allowed other suitors in the door because he wasn't there, as the home court coach, until all the stars ended up behind the kid's name.  That is a losing game for Woodson due to his lack of on court success in comparison to the teams and staffs he is trying to recruit against.  He has found out that most of these kids and their advisors don't care about his NBA pedigree. 

There are two ways to look at Woodson and staff's HS recruiting efforts right now:  1.  They didn't put the work in on these kids early enough and are now missing out and/or 2.  This staff is absolutely awful at recruiting HS kids.  Like downright terrible.

I honestly think it boils down to them not putting much stock in the necessity of recruiting HS kids.  I don't think Woodson like the time it takes and instead prefers the "free agency" route of using the portal.  That leads to bad outcomes because their heart isn't in it.  That is also why I barely check these recruiting things anymore because most of these kids were never going to have any attachment to Indiana and whatever percentage that used to be is exponentially lower with Woodson in charge.  

If Fife is that great why isn't he coaching

"I don't see why there is so much vitriol for a former Hoosier who won a BIG Championship and helped lead his team to the Final Four."

Wish I had the decoder ring for which former Hoosiers are deserving of criticism and which aren't.....

• Like 1