2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

17 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

But what you were saying previously is that IU shouldn't win recruits against the likes of Duke, UNC, Arizona, UK, KU, MSU, Purdue, Houston and about 30 other teams. 

These generalized buckets we tend to lump every 18 year old kid in, does not exist. Each and every single recruit has their own thought processes and what they determine not only what matters but what is prioritized. 

Again, Mullins wouldnt be committing based on a "hope and a prayer" like you are regurgitating, by numerous accounts, he has been to practices and has seen the new offense. I dont think IU and Woodson would set up secret practices, to practice for a new offense just to show a recruit. 

Sorry, I am not coming after you, it is more generalized for everyone just replying to you. I am just trying to reject any notion that people some on here and think that IU not only has no chance, but doesn't even deserve to have a chance. 

No worries, no offense taken. But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was just responding to an IU Homer perspective on UConn by pointing out that IU has just as many, if not more, question marks. 

I agree each individual recruitment is unique. I just think UConn is uniquely well tailored to Mullins' game, and that IU is not (promises of changes based on practice footage aside). So to me, given his unique circumstances, UConn is a no brainer if it weren't for location (for NIL, I'd probably prioritize the increased probability of UConn propelling him to an NBA future over any short-term differences in NIL money for a year or two).

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

No worries, no offense taken. But that wasn't the point I was trying to make. I was just responding to an IU Homer perspective on UConn by pointing out that IU has just as many, if not more, question marks. 

I agree each individual recruitment is unique. I just think UConn is uniquely well tailored to Mullins' game, and that IU is not (promises of changes based on practice footage aside). So to me, given his unique circumstances, UConn is a no brainer if it weren't for location (for NIL, I'd probably prioritize the increased probability of UConn propelling him to an NBA future over any short-term differences in NIL money for a year or two).

I’m very well aware that there are questions about IU and Woodson. The problem is he’s changing the way he’s done things. He didn’t have much of a choice but he is changing things. My point about UConn’s roster was more about Hurley being unrealistic and selling BS 

• Like 2

I get many’s thoughts on “we were in early.” I’ve followed recruiting on FB and BB closely, for over 25 years.

some of us assume a factor like that which shows loyalty should carry a weight of 10 on a scale of 1-10. I can tell you with experience IT DOES CARRY WEIGHT. But it is one of many variables a recruit considers. MANY. Thats a hard pill to swallow for the home team.

we have things to sell UCONN doesn’t and they have the same as well. Quite honestly if we had NOT been early it’s quite possible we are fighting to get back into it. That selling point IS a positive but it doesn’t carry as much weight as many think.

try to take off the crimson glasses and put yourself in this kids shoes…just some of the factors he’s pondering…

-chance for titles

-getting to the league

-how he fits in the offense BOTH what’s being sold to him for what it will be AND what he can see it’s proven to already be

-chemistry with staff and players

-facilities 

-whether getting away is a positive or negative (my own son isn’t an athlete but got a perfect score on the ACT and could go anywhere from Wisconsin and UW Madison didn’t have any chance cuz he wanted to get away…I share this just to say some feel getting away is a positive some feel it’s a negative some don’t care either way)

-parental influence 

-peer influence 

-gut feeling 

omfg there’s so many variables. All a coach can do is try to get to know the athlete and try to sell the points and minimize the negatives that are for THAT kid. Build relationships, show a relentless desire for the recruit, hope for the best.

we can’t get hung up on any ONE recruit.

but what we can do is step back from 10,000ft and see trends.

1.) is our program moving in a direction to where we feel is acceptable for expectations? On the court currently and to this point, and looking to the future.

2.) is the effort being given for the future in recruiting

3.) is recruiting OVERALL working or not.

some of 1-3 shows promise, some has legit questions.

We base our perspective on the current and future of the program on those things.

Ive wanted this kid BADLY well before he blew up. Athletic and shooter and Indiana kid was all I needed to hear to say “I WANT THIS KID.”

variables have changed for him and us. We may get him. If we do it doesn’t mean our staff as arrived as recruiters and if we lose out on him it doesn’t. But I do admit considering the variables to this point…this would be a tough loss. Great win, but bad loss.

i hope dearly we land him. For the programs sake and the staff’s sake. But again no one recruit dictates too much.

PS I REALLY WANT THIS KID BAD I think he’s exactly what we need and emotionally could get behind as an Indiana kid to help us moving forward.

Edited by BADGERVOL
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Maybe he should also look at Hurley’s first 4 years at UConn too and realize he didn’t do much in comparison to Woody. Keep in mind, Woody hadn’t coached college basketball at all prior to this.

If Hurley is allowed to adapt and evidently had success doing so, why doesn’t our staff get a little bit of that same faith? Again, between off-season roster additions like dynamic guards and perimeter scoring (Rice, Carylyle, Goode, Hatton) seeing a practice with the new O, interviews with Woody (saying more stretch 4 this year with Mac and Goode, how important upgrading guards was), and next years’ potential additions (Reibe, Sisley, etc.) not sure what else needs to be said or done to prove the staff is changing the mindset. 

IMG_0104.png

Valid point(s) for a message board and/or defense of Woodson, but for Braylon I don't think it matters. He wouldn't be committing to Hurley in 2020 or 2021, he'd be committing to him now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’m very well aware that there are questions about IU and Woodson. The problem is he’s changing the way he’s done things. He didn’t have much of a choice but he is changing things. My point about UConn’s roster was more about Hurley being unrealistic and selling BS 

I agree it sounds promising he’s willing to change things. The problem is some recruits will think, “I needed to have already seen it.”

So then it turns to, we gotta prove it to sell it. But that takes time to get the pieces to prove it, and then start recruiting again for the future. That takes some TIME. And Woodson hasn’t built UP a ton of “poker chips.” He’s at a spot he needs to start going to another level FAST, or the critics will gain more ammo.

I’m thrilled he’s seeing changes he needs to make. I wish so much he had seen those changes and started adapting two years ago. He didn’t. Now he’s gotta try to sell he’s serious and see if that’s enough and THEN prove it on the court.

This window to accomplish all that and prove the critics wrong is fairly SMALL.

Thats why his recruiting RIGHT NOW is vital, followed immediately, by chances ON THE COURT. 

Can he get the pieces?

Can he prove the changes?

He needs to…FAST.

10 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Also take a look at Hurleys record pre and post Luke Murray’s arrival 

I said it months ago, that IU needs to get him and make him the highest paid assistant coach in the NCAA, and higher than 1/2 the B1G head coaches. 

Plus you would have Bill Murray in attendance at Assembly presumably. and there would be plenty of word play when we play Minnesota. 

Edited by ledies22

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I said it months ago, that IU needs to get him and make him the highest paid assistant coach in the NCAA, and higher than 1/2 the B1G head coaches. 

Plus you would have Bill Murray in attendance at Assembly presumably. and there would be plenty of word play when we play Minnesota. 

He'll be a head coach soon

• Like 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

He'll be a head coach soon

no doubt. I recently watched the Connor Stallion documentary on Netflix. completely changed my mind about him, but I would loop these two in the same categories of relentless work ethic, and smarts. but Murray doesnt tread the line in terms of skirting the rules.

1 hour ago, HurryinHoosiers said:

Roster construction is completely on Woodson.  If we didn't have enough guards to run the system he had claimed to want then that is on him.  Our lack of guard depth last year was foreseeable and Woodson even held a scholarship back.

Reason to be bullish on this season and a new offsensive system, then. We're loaded at the guard and wing. Our two quality bigs might both start, but one is foul prone and the other only plays ~25 minutes anyway. Feels a fait accompli we'll be playing the new style being shown to Braylon by the staff.

Ok. Someone if they don't mind catching me up. Is the explosion of activity today because Hurley is coming to visit again? Or is it because of the video and subsequent interpretation?

My two cents. Would love to have him and I'll be disappointed if we lose him. If the kid thinks UConn is for him so be it. The days of a program being held hostage by high school recruits are gone. If we miss we can hit the portal. For some I know it will be a chance to bang on CMW. 

What I know is that heading into the year 24-25 we have an extremely talented and balanced roster and I can't wait for the action on the court.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Valid point(s) for a message board and/or defense of Woodson, but for Braylon I don't think it matters. He wouldn't be committing to Hurley in 2020 or 2021, he'd be committing to him now.

I get what you’re saying but my point is that he along with Woodson, struggled at some point, made changes, likely had to convince players/coaches to be patient during that time, and now can say he won 2 national titles after all is said and done. 

Friendly reminder that Hubert Davis took the preseason #1 team and didn’t even make the NCAA tournament (we also played them and beat them with our outdated style of play).The next year they win the ACC and go to the S16.

So again, not sure why the other 2 schools get high praise for making changes that positively impacted the current state of their programs but our staff is met with tremendous skepticism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I get what you’re saying but my point is that he along with Woodson, struggled at some point, made changes, likely had to convince players/coaches to be patient during that time, and now can say he won 2 national titles after all is said and done. 

Friendly reminder that Hubert Davis took the preseason #1 team and didn’t even make the NCAA tournament (we also played them and beat them with our outdated style of play).The next year they win the ACC and go to the S16.

So again, not sure why the other 2 schools get high praise for making changes that positively impacted the current state of their programs but our staff is met with tremendous skepticism.

Is what it is. Coach K took 4 years to make the tourney, Tony Bennett made the tourney 1x in his first 4 years....countless examples of others. Woodson gets banged on by the Tony crowd. Nothing we can do about it. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Also take a look at Hurleys record pre and post Luke Murray’s arrival 

That's fair.  Not to turn this into a Woodson thread, but while there's been a lot of attention focused on offensive strategy, IU's defense has really regressed each year under Woody, from 24th nationally his first year (KenPom), to 45th in year two, and 84th last year. I think he might need a Luke Murray type hire to turn that around, since as I understand it, Fife had a lot to do with the defensive success in year one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

That's fair.  Not to turn this into a Woodson thread, but while there's been a lot of attention focused on offensive strategy, IU's defense has really regressed each year under Woody, from 24th nationally his first year (KenPom), to 45th in year two, and 84th last year. I think he might need a Luke Murray type hire to turn that around, since as I understand it, Fife had a lot to do with the defensive success in year one.

We'll see. This is his make or break year for all kinds of reasons. Most people that have been to practice and seen what they're doing expect the season to be very successful. The reality is that Woodson has the deepest and most talented team that he's had at IU in year 4 of his tenure. There's a reason they are preseason #2 in the conference. Galloway who averaged 10 points and 4.6 assists per game is going to be the 6th man. The defense should be naturally better with increased speed and quickness on the perimeter.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is what it is. Coach K took 4 years to make the tourney, Tony Bennett made the tourney 1x in his first 4 years....countless examples of others. Woodson gets banged on by the Tony crowd. Nothing we can do about it. 

UConn poster has a banger for Woodson too in the link provided by dwtaylor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think what’s interesting is Mullins is being sold on UCONN on player development and used Cam Spencer as an example. What confuses me is I don’t think Cam Spencer got any better than when he was at Rutgers. He raised his 3 point percentage from 43 to 44% and free throws from 89 to 91% and the most drastic was his 2 pt % which IMO clearly doesn’t matter because he got drafted 53rd overall and is in the G league. Woodson can point to JHS, Ware, and TJD (who is going to start this year or at minimum get 25 minutes a game) if they talk player development at least call out Stephon Castle as who they developed LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think what’s interesting is Mullins is being sold on UCONN on player development and used Cam Spencer as an example. What confuses me is I don’t think Cam Spencer got any better than when he was at Rutgers. He raised his 3 point percentage from 43 to 44% and free throws from 89 to 91% and the most drastic was his 2 pt % which IMO clearly doesn’t matter because he got drafted 53rd overall and is in the G league. Woodson can point to JHS, Ware, and TJD (who is going to start this year or at minimum get 25 minutes a game) if they talk player development at least call out Stephon Castle as who they developed LOL. 

In terms of development I agree that Castle is the better comparison just in terms of play style. But I don’t think it’s fair to say Spencer didn’t improve from when he was at Rutgers. His offensive rating increased by almost 20 points, which you don’t see very often from 5th year seniors. Also, the fact that he got drafted at all is impressive just because he isn’t really an NBA prototype in terms of size or athleticism.

• Like 2