2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

Just now, HurryinHoosiers said:

Most of our takes are based on opinion.

Obviously Woodson works but I (and likely most of us) wouldn't know how much "work/effort" he puts in compared to other head coaches.  I think the other poster saying he doesn't work was more of a lazy, inaccurate way of saying he doesn't put in as much work as other coaches, which may or may not be true.

Woodson failed at construction a balanced roster last year that could compete.  I think it could also be argued that he as overused an outdated post centric system isn't good enough.  Obviously he appears to have addressed both issues going into this year but will have to wait and see if that is the case when they start playing games.

This year is make or break. We have not had the roster (guard quality) to be able to do a lot of what is being complained about. Some of these people want to fit a square peg into a round hole. 

Our roster in past seasons has not allowed us to play through the guards heavily. Some of that is on Woodson. Some of that is playing with the cards that were dealt. 

We have the guards this year. If the guard product on the floor this year does not look good. it will make it harder and harder to convince guards to come.

• Like 5

I get he blew up this summer and needs time to process all of it but this recruitment has been puzzling with some decisions and logic. 

The offensive scheme issue sounds like a circular conversation. How is our staff going to implement a new, functional offense that stretches the floor if they can’t add the players who would do just that? We just landed Sisley, who stretches the floor, and continue to recruit Reibe who would do the same. How is a class of Mullins, Sisley, and Reibe not help with that new offense and mindset? Also, unlike UNC and UConn who didn’t have this kid on their radar until this summer, our staff for months in advance had a clear vision with him in mind. On campus, they physically showed him at practice the differences. Not to mention, swap out X or Gallo for Mullins or Liam with Malik/Ware and it works much better.

Don’t get me going on the whole immediate playing time. What kid has ever committed to a school because they were eager to ride the bench. Again, our staff has been recruiting him for much longer, so they obviously have a clear role and playing time in mind for him. I also think it’s a little delusional to assume UConn and UNC won’t get their pick of the litter with the portal and try their best to add talent/force Bray to work for his minutes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUProfessor said:

IU is relying on 6 newcomers to cover significant minutes this year, including most likely 3/5ths of the starting lineup. IU's coach has not won big at any level, while Hurley is a two-time national championship coach who just turned down an opportunity to coach the greatest brand in basketball (the Lakers). UConn runs a proven, dynamic, modern offensive system, while IU can only make promises based on practice film that it's going to update the offense (after Woodson came in allegedly intending to run a modern, 4-out, dribble-drive offense, only to play a two low-post, 90s style offense for his first 3 years).

Honestly, aside from NIL and location, this should be the easiest decision in the world. Even factoring in NIL and location, if I'm Mullins I think I'd have to pick UConn, rather than entrust my fate to a coach who has no proven track record of getting a player with my skillset to the league. 

Edit: It's actually kind of amazing that IU is still in this one at all, so that's a credit to the staff.

I love how everything discussed here is thrown in to generalized buckets as we are discussing 17 and 18 yr olds.

If what you say is true. IU would not have landed a single recruit the past 20 years. 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I love how everything discussed here is thrown in to generalized buckets as we are discussing 17 and 18 yr olds.

If what you say is true. IU would not have landed a single recruit the past 20 years. 

It’s hard for some people to grasp change but they’ll see here soon 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Woodson and the coaching staff has worked their ass off this off season. If he doesn't pick IU it isn't because of lack of effort. Some of you guys hatred for Woodson clouds your common sense.

I’m not disputing your take (I have ZERO idea or inside info), but how do you know he works his ass off? Most of us don’t know either way, whether he does or doesn’t. Comments are solely made based on who he gets, doesn’t get, and how much he wins or loses. None of those are direct indicators of HIS work ethic one way or the other. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I don't think that's true. IU has all sorts of selling points under the current staff when it comes to recruiting bigs or, to a lesser extent, combo guards. But someone with Mullins' skillset would be committing to IU on a hope and a prayer that they can be the proof of concept for Woodson. That might make sense if your other offers don't include the two-time defending champions who run an offensive system tailor made for your skillset.

Again, the fact that IU is still in this speaks well to the time that the staff has put in and the relationship they've built. This should be an easy call for Mullins.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I get he blew up this summer and needs time to process all of it but this recruitment has been puzzling with some decisions and logic. 

The offensive scheme issue sounds like a circular conversation. How is our staff going to implement a new, functional offense that stretches the floor if they can’t add the players who would do just that? We just landed Sisley, who stretches the floor, and continue to recruit Reibe who would do the same. How is a class of Mullins, Sisley, and Reibe not help with that new offense and mindset? Also, unlike UNC and UConn who didn’t have this kid on their radar until this summer, our staff for months in advance had a clear vision with him in mind. On campus, they physically showed him at practice the differences. Not to mention, swap out X or Gallo for Mullins or Liam with Malik/Ware and it works much better.

Don’t get me going on the whole immediate playing time. What kid has ever committed to a school because they were eager to ride the bench. Again, our staff has been recruiting him for much longer, so they obviously have a clear role and playing time in mind for him. I also think it’s a little delusional to assume UConn and UNC won’t get their pick of the litter with the portal and try their best to add talent/force Bray to work for his minutes.

Agree with this 100%. IU is trying to do things differently. And we need the right kids to do that. Unfortunately Woodson will have to take his medicine on past results. UConn and UNC have been winning National Championships the past 10 seasons. We really need one in the worst way. Or at least a Final Four.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Hopefully the Mullins get annoyed with Hurley's constant harassment.  I thought in that interview with Braylon that he was done with contact with coaches. Like I said yesterday it is like that annoying salesman that won't leave you alone and let you find what you want

I seriously doubt that Hurley is harassing them. He wouldn't be coming today without an invitation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I seriously doubt that Hurley is harassing them. He wouldn't be coming today without an invitation. 

Other way around, more like you don’t tell a school you’re considering they can’t come

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Other way around, more like you don’t tell a school you’re considering they can’t come

Sure you can. If he and his Dad said, we are holding firm to no more visits, I'm sure Hurley would honor that. They are willing to meet with him for a reason. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

The thing Mullins needs to look at with UCONN is there is a big logjam at the 1-3 positions next year and Liam is the only one that might leave after this year. I heard someone on sleeper media say there are 8 players at those positions that should be in their roster next year 

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

The thing Mullins needs to look at with UCONN is there is a big logjam at the 1-3 positions next year and Liam is the only one that might leave after this year. I heard someone on sleeper media say there are 8 players at those positions that should be in their roster next year 

IMO, I highly doubt Liam leaves after 1 year at UCONN.  

45 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

This year is make or break. We have not had the roster (guard quality) to be able to do a lot of what is being complained about. Some of these people want to fit a square peg into a round hole. 

Our roster in past seasons has not allowed us to play through the guards heavily. Some of that is on Woodson. Some of that is playing with the cards that were dealt. 

We have the guards this year. If the guard product on the floor this year does not look good. it will make it harder and harder to convince guards to come.

If it doesn’t happen this year it’s 100% over. We were just picked 2nd in conference. This team should be in the sweet 16. It’s year 4 for Woody and he’s not getting any younger. Im excited because we really get to see if woodson can get it done or not this year. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

I don't think that's true. IU has all sorts of selling points under the current staff when it comes to recruiting bigs or, to a lesser extent, combo guards. But someone with Mullins' skillset would be committing to IU on a hope and a prayer that they can be the proof of concept for Woodson. That might make sense if your other offers don't include the two-time defending champions who run an offensive system tailor made for your skillset.

Again, the fact that IU is still in this speaks well to the time that the staff has put in and the relationship they've built. This should be an easy call for Mullins.

Spot on. This staff should be able to get just about any big man they want with the style we have played and how we have developed Ware and TJD and to some extend recruit combo guards well because of JHS success. Which the staff has recruited these positions well by adding Ballo, Rice, and KC but Recruiting a kid like Liam and Mullins skill set is going to Be a really hard sell.

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

Roster construction is completely on Woodson.  If we didn't have enough guards to run the system he had claimed to want then that is on him.  Our lack of guard depth last year was foreseeable and Woodson even held a scholarship back.

Generally I would say that it would take a couple years to convert a roster to what you want to run.  However, with the portal and NIL, there is really no excuse now.  Look at CCC and how he flipped the roster for football.  That's much more work than flipping a basketball roster that only had 13 spots.

I don’t have a lot to add to this conversation (and have absolutely zero inside info), but the flow and progression of this recruitment doesn’t seem to favor IU in my opinion. Given Mullins’ declared timeline of announcing, there really isn’t an opportunity for Indiana to showcase their “new” (ie ‘balanced’ or ‘guard-friendly’) offense. Woodson and co. can speak to what they want it to be, and possibly show some examples in practice, but don’t have tangible results like UCONN does. Now if Mullins said he was waiting until after the season so see how the teams played and performed, then I would feel very different about how he’s assessing the product on the floor.

At this point, the home visits, the school visits, etc. are just re-hashing of “We want you.” , “Actually, we really, really want you.” Ad nauseum. What new information can be presented — short of upcoming games, which obviously won’t happen due to the timeline — that would sway him at this time?

I imagine there was a world where/when IU was a forgone conclusion for Mullins, back when he was a 4-star recruit. Things have changed and he seems to be clearly enamored by Hurley and his program. And while it stings for us IU fans, it’s somewhat understandable, given the back to back NCs.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I don’t have a lot to add to this conversation (and have absolutely zero inside info), but the flow and progression of this recruitment doesn’t seem to favor IU in my opinion. Given Mullins’ declared timeline of announcing, there really isn’t an opportunity for Indiana to showcase their “new” (ie ‘balanced’ or ‘guard-friendly’) offense. Woodson and co. can speak to what they want it to be, and possibly show some examples in practice, but don’t have tangible results like UCONN does. Now if Mullins said he was waiting until after the season so see how the teams played and performed, then I would feel very different about how he’s assessing the product on the floor.

At this point, the home visits, the school visits, etc. are just re-hashing of “We want you.” , “Actually, we really, really want you.” Ad nauseum. What new information can be presented — short of upcoming games, which obviously won’t happen due to the timeline — that would sway him at this time?

I imagine there was a world where/when IU was a forgone conclusion for Mullins, back when he was a 4-star recruit. Things have changed and he seems to be clearly enamored by Hurley and his program. And while it stings for us IU fans, it’s somewhat understandable, given the back to back NCs.

Agree. I anticipate an announcement for UConn following Hurley's visit today. If the IU staff can keep Mullins in the fold and get a commitment from him, they deserve a lot of credit. 

6 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I imagine there was a world where/when IU was a forgone conclusion for Mullins, back when he was a 4-star recruit. Things have changed and he seems to be clearly enamored by Hurley and his program. And while it stings for us IU fans, it’s somewhat understandable, given the back to back NCs.

This is how I feel as well. The OV to UConn seems to have been a turning point in retrospect, and the recruitment has felt trending that way ever since. I'd guess that's when Braylon realized he could dream as big as he wants. Could be Woodson and staff did everything right here, but tough to argue with what Hurley has rolling right now, especially with Braylon's skillset.

Would love to still win this one, though.

You guys are spiraling over what exactly? He’s taking the week (fall break) to evaluate everything. You’re crazy if you think UConn wasn’t going to visit this week. He’s a 5 star recruit, you get more no’s then yes’, if you want to be a big time program most of your recruitments are going to be like this. Take a breath. Nothing has been said that he’s leaning toward any school. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe he should also look at Hurley’s first 4 years at UConn too and realize he didn’t do much in comparison to Woody. Keep in mind, Woody hadn’t coached college basketball at all prior to this.

If Hurley is allowed to adapt and evidently had success doing so, why doesn’t our staff get a little bit of that same faith? Again, between off-season roster additions like dynamic guards and perimeter scoring (Rice, Carylyle, Goode, Hatton) seeing a practice with the new O, interviews with Woody (saying more stretch 4 this year with Mac and Goode, how important upgrading guards was), and next years’ potential additions (Reibe, Sisley, etc.) not sure what else needs to be said or done to prove the staff is changing the mindset. 

IMG_0104.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Maybe he should also look at Hurley’s first 4 years at UConn too and realize he didn’t do much in comparison to Woody. Keep in mind, Woody hadn’t coached college basketball at all prior to this.

If Hurley is allowed to adapt and evidently had success doing so, why doesn’t our staff get a little bit of that same faith? Again, between off-season roster additions like dynamic guards and perimeter scoring (Rice, Carylyle, Goode, Hatton) seeing a practice with the new O, interviews with Woody (saying more stretch 4 this year with Mac and Goode, how important upgrading guards was), and next years’ potential additions (Reibe, Sisley, etc.) not sure what else needs to be said or done to prove the staff is changing the mindset. 

IMG_0104.png

Do you know what else happened after that 15-8 season?

1 hour ago, IUProfessor said:

But what you were saying previously is that IU shouldn't win recruits against the likes of Duke, UNC, Arizona, UK, KU, MSU, Purdue, Houston and about 30 other teams. 

These generalized buckets we tend to lump every 18 year old kid in, does not exist. Each and every single recruit has their own thought processes and what they determine not only what matters but what is prioritized. 

Again, Mullins wouldnt be committing based on a "hope and a prayer" like you are regurgitating, by numerous accounts, he has been to practices and has seen the new offense. I dont think IU and Woodson would set up secret practices, to practice for a new offense just to show a recruit. 

Sorry, I am not coming after you, it is more generalized for everyone just replying to you. I am just trying to reject any notion that people come on here and think that IU not only has no chance, but doesn't even deserve to have a chance. 

Edited by ledies22
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, HurryinHoosiers said:

Roster construction is completely on Woodson.  If we didn't have enough guards to run the system he had claimed to want then that is on him.  Our lack of guard depth last year was foreseeable and Woodson even held a scholarship back.

Generally I would say that it would take a couple years to convert a roster to what you want to run.  However, with the portal and NIL, there is really no excuse now.  Look at CCC and how he flipped the roster for football.  That's much more work than flipping a basketball roster that only had 13 spots.

Its the same anti Woodson rhetoric.

• Like 1