2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

5 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I mean we ranked 351st in 3 point rate last year and 354th the year before last. So no, then offense really hasn’t generated many 3 point looks compared to other teams.

The offseason comments by Woodson and the players are promising, but 3 point shooting has been an afterthought on offense thus far.

Miller Kopp got correct amount of looks when we had the personnel to get him looks... fact or not fact? 

If not, how many more 3s should he have gotten per 25 mins than 5? 

Edited by btownqb

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Miller Kopp got correct amount of looks when we had the personnel to get him looks... fact or not fact? 

If not, how many more 3s should he have gotten per 25 mins than 5? 

Not fact. Miller wasn’t even in the top 25 in the big ten in 3 point attempts per game in 2023 and he led our team. We were in the top 40 in 3 point percentage as a team, but bottom 10 in 3 point rate that year. That’s a sign that we either didn’t generate enough looks, or were way too passive in taking the available looks.

• Like 3

Just now, Kdug said:

Not fact. Miller wasn’t even in the top 25 in the big ten in 3 point attempts per game in 2023 and he led our team. We were in the top 40 in 3 point percentage as a team, but bottom 10 in 3 point rate that year. That’s a sign that we either didn’t generate enough looks, or were way too passive in taking the available looks.

I don't really think that's what the data is telling you. 

5 per 25 mins is more than plenty, for someone like Miller. Who truly cannot create his own looks... not bad at all. 

using all the games in the 2023 season isn't what I was discussing. he avged quite a bit more looks per mins played when XJ wasn't hurt. 

Again... 5 3s per 25 mins when XJ was playing vs. 3.7 per 32 mins when XJ wasn't playing. 

Tominga-- 5.1 in 25 mins

Essigian-- 5.5 in 27 mins 

Spencer-- 4.9 in 32 mins 

McNeil-- 4.6 in 30 mins 

All looks pretty pretty close to---- 4.8 3s per game in 25 mins. Then factor in Miller's inability to ever get his own shot... 💁‍♂️

I agree, we need to take more 3s, we need to play more perimeter-oriented.... I do not agree that drawing up plays, two years ago, for Miller Kopp was going to result in an efficient way to score the basketball. 

We need better guards/creators (Rice, Carlyle) Malik, Cupps, TG all a year older. And hopefully MM has continued development off the bounce to get shots for others. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't really think that's what the data is telling you. 

5 per 25 mins is more than plenty, for someone like Miller. Who truly cannot create his own looks... not bad at all. 

using all the games in the 2023 season isn't what I was discussing. he avged quite a bit more looks per mins played when XJ wasn't hurt. 

Again... 5 3s per 25 mins when XJ was playing vs. 3.7 per 32 mins when XJ wasn't playing. 

The data is very clear here, IU hasn’t shot many threes in any of the past 3 seasons. XJ being hurt could explain some of it, but we were still only ranked 322nd in 3 point rate his first year.

Again, using the 2022-2023 season as an example. Every single other big ten team had at least one player who shot more threes per game than Kopp, and ten teams had two guys with more attempts per game. And Miller played 30 mpg that year and shot 44% from 3. That’s the exact type of guy you get as many looks as you can.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The data is very clear here, IU hasn’t shot many threes in any of the past 3 seasons. XJ being hurt could explain some of it, but we were still only ranked 322nd in 3 point rate his first year.

Again, using the 2022-2023 season as an example. Every single other big ten team had at least one player who shot more threes per game than Kopp, and ten teams had two guys with more attempts per game. And Miller played 30 mpg that year and shot 44% from 3. That’s the exact type of guy you get as many looks as you can.

We weren't talking about the team as a whole lol ...so if you're discussing the team as a whole, there isn't a reason to quote me.

Miller, specifically, had enough run for him. 25 mins per game--- 5 attempts. Very solid. 

Miller played 32 mpg AFTER XJ went down. He was at 25 mpg before that happened. Context. Again, the amount of plays we ran for Miller was not an issue. 

The issue was--- lack of guard depth, two years in a row. Absolutely no guys other than JHS and TG last season who could break you down off the dribble and put the defense in a rotation. When we had multiple guys--- pre-- XJ getting hurt... Kopp was shooting 5 3s per 25 mins played... which is very solid. 

Edited by btownqb