2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

19 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Imagine counter-offering on a house and your offer is the same or worse than the one currently on the table. The seller would laugh at you and you'd still be searching for a home. 

Actually that isn’t true. Lots of ways to structure your offer that money isn’t the most important detail. Paying closing costs, cash to close, extending time to be out, etc etc. In fact I see sellers take discounts all the time because of WHO the buyer is as well. Family/friends, type of business moving in, etc. So to expect us to get a hometown discount isn’t unheard of. To say we need to offer double to even get them to consider our offer actually isn’t a crazy question to ask “why is that?” It isn’t necessarily negative…in can be do we have the right people running the program and the collectives if this is necessary. Can also be is this the right kid to recruit because if it’s only about the money…maybe he isn’t the right kid. That’s hard to say because I want him bad…but it might be a necessary question to ask.

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kansas, Duke, UCLA and especially Kentucky have paid recruits since the advent of modern basketball to get players to play there.  

Ohio State has an estimated $100 M bigger budget than we do for athletics.  Hardly a level playing field.   

I am all for a George Steinbrenner-like attitude for IU basketball.  If you’ve got it, take advantage of your built in advantages.  It’s the marketplace.   We’d be beyond moronic not to exploit it to the max. 

One of our big plans at the strategic admin level is not taking advantage of a blue chip asset for the university.  Basketball is not a sports thing.  It’s a much larger asset for the university.  Investing in NIL pays off in many ways for the school that goes way beyond basketball W’s and L’s.   

There is no better advertisement for recruiting kids to your university than having extremely successful sports programs. It’s sad that is the case but it’s a big big deal. Not just as a deciding factor for where the 18 year old chooses to go but for the 45 year old dad/mom who is cutting the check.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kansas, Duke, UCLA and especially Kentucky have paid recruits since the advent of modern basketball to get players to play there.  

Ohio State has an estimated $100 M bigger budget than we do for athletics.  Hardly a level playing field.   

I am all for a George Steinbrenner-like attitude for IU basketball.  If you’ve got it, take advantage of your built in advantages.  It’s the marketplace.   We’d be beyond moronic not to exploit it to the max. 

One of our big plans at the strategic admin level is not taking advantage of a blue chip asset for the university.  Basketball is not a sports thing.  It’s a much larger asset for the university.  Investing in NIL pays off in many ways for the school that goes way beyond basketball W’s and L’s.   

at this point setting it up like the nba would be an improvement in at least keeping things somewhat level.  salary caps, drafts, contracts, etc.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Actually that isn’t true. Lots of ways to structure your offer that money isn’t the most important detail. Paying closing costs, cash to close, extending time to be out, etc etc. In fact I see sellers take discounts all the time because of WHO the buyer is as well. Family/friends, type of business moving in, etc. So to expect us to get a hometown discount isn’t unheard of. To say we need to offer double to even get them to consider our offer actually isn’t a crazy question to ask “why is that?” It isn’t necessarily negative…in can be do we have the right people running the program and the collectives if this is necessary. Can also be is this the right kid to recruit because if it’s only about the money…maybe he isn’t the right kid. That’s hard to say because I want him bad…but it might be a necessary question to ask.

I stopped reading after sentence two and I think you kind of proved the point. In both scenarios you have offer 1 that is straight bigger $ offer. Offer 2 is less straight $ offer, but may be a better offer because it could provide more. 
IU is offer 1 here.

Uconn is offer 2. B2B championships, more prolific offense, better system for guards, probably better coach and staff.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

There is no better advertisement for recruiting kids to your university than having extremely successful sports programs. It’s sad that is the case but it’s a big big deal. Not just as a deciding factor for where the 18 year old chooses to go but for the 45 year old dad/mom who is cutting the check.

This is so true.  I thought Bama originally overpaid for Saban. His economic and enrollment impact has paid off many times over.  The growth and enhancement of the university is absurd.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I stopped reading after sentence two and I think you kind of proved the point. In both scenarios you have offer 1 that is straight bigger $ offer. Offer 2 is less straight $ offer, but may be a better offer because it could provide more. 
IU is offer 1 here.

Uconn is offer 2. B2B championships, more prolific offense, better system for guards, probably better coach and staff.

I think the implication is really?? We don’t have more to offer than just money? We are the home town school. We have our legacy, we do offer as much money…should we be that far behind? Why aren’t we offer 2?? Why doesn’t this program have more to offer than just a money grab? Hopefully success will change that because being the money leader isnt sustainable and when things do change back to a more even playing field we need to have those other things on our side…advance the program back into prominence before we lose this advantage of money.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KDB said:

It's funny reading publishers reporting their own guess on a recruitment as fact. He will not be going to UK.

I will try with my uneducated and lack of knowledge predictions of where these players end up.

Harrelson IU

Mullins IU

Tiller IU

Brown IU

Sisely Notre Dame

Riebe Kansas

Last year I predicted Fland and McNeely to IU and Queen to Houston. So don't pay attention to my predictions. McNeely did commit to IU so I got that one right at first.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I will try with my uneducated and lack of knowledge predictions of where these players end up.

Harrelson IU

Mullins IU

Tiller IU

Brown IU

Sisely Notre Dame

Riebe Kansas

Last year I predicted Fland and McNeely to IU and Queen to Houston. So don't pay attention to my predictions. McNeely did commit to IU so I got that one right at first.

I’d be ecstatic with that.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Harrelson IU

Mullins IU

Tiller IU

Brown IU

Sisely Notre Dame

Riebe Kansas

I could Iive with that…then we go to the portal to get another quality big, and we’re set. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think the implication is really?? We don’t have more to offer than just money? We are the home town school. We have our legacy, we do offer as much money…should we be that far behind? Why aren’t we offer 2?? Why doesn’t this program have more to offer than just a money grab? Hopefully success will change that because being the money leader is sustainable and when things do change back to a more even playing field we need to have those other things on our side…advance the program back into prominence before we lose this advantage of money.

I can’t go back and forth with you if you continue to make up things and miss the point. I think you would be semi delusional if you believe IU is a better destination for a guard than UCONN currently. I never said IU has nothing more to offer than just money. I was saying IU is offering more money because he is seemingly our top priority and that UConn is more alluring to guards than Indiana is. 

16 hours ago, KDB said:

It's funny reading publishers reporting their own guess on a recruitment as fact. He will not be going to UK.

I'm a little lost. He's a UConn writer predicting Mullins to IU.

Mullins will most likely end up at IU, but if he strays toward Storrs, it'll be for the trust, culture, and “sure-thing” feeling surrounding Hurley and his staff.

Just now, cybergates said:

I'm a little lost. He's a UConn writer predicting Mullins to IU.

Mullins will most likely end up at IU, but if he strays toward Storrs, it'll be for the trust, culture, and “sure-thing” feeling surrounding Hurley and his staff.

I'm talking about the Mark Zanetto guy he references saying he's down to 3 schools and in order it's IU, UK, UConn. It's a guess that isn't close to accurate. Just think it's funny.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KDB said:

I'm talking about the Mark Zanetto guy he references saying he's down to 3 schools and in order it's IU, UK, UConn. It's a guess that isn't close to accurate. Just think it's funny.

Well heavens.. we had experts and IU fans convinced he was heading to UK with Moreno. That was like last week. 

10 hours ago, ledies22 said:

I can’t go back and forth with you if you continue to make up things and miss the point. I think you would be semi delusional if you believe IU is a better destination for a guard than UCONN currently. I never said IU has nothing more to offer than just money. I was saying IU is offering more money because he is seemingly our top priority and that UConn is more alluring to guards than Indiana is. 

I’ve accepted UConn is more attractive place to play. So what I’m saying is do we have the right people in place, in the school, athletic department, and coach to turn that around…because we have the resources to be more then just that. We can buy almost anyone we want I get that…but should we be relying on that or should we be getting to the heart of the issue and addressing why we need to do this.

It isn’t just UConn either. We are having to outbid for basically all these kids. How many do we think are signing up to play here if it weren’t for the $$ and how long do we think people will continue to send money to these collectives with so little in return (not making the tournament or out in first rd etc). And how long til the NCAA and the conferences agree on a payment system for the players and then this current advantage goes away. Those are more or less my concerns. At the moment I’m happy to get these kids if we can…just hope we can make a deep run soon to build some momentum in the program.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’ve accepted UConn is more attractive place to play. 1)So what I’m saying is do we have the right people in place, in the school, athletic department, and coach to turn that around…because we have the resources to be more then just that. 2)We can buy almost anyone we want I get that…but should we be relying on that or should we be getting to the heart of the issue and addressing why we need to do this.

It isn’t just UConn either. 3)We are having to outbid for basically all these kids. How many do we think are signing up to play here if it weren’t for the $$ and how long do we think people will continue to send money to these collectives with so little in return (not making the tournament or out in first rd etc). And how long til the NCAA and the conferences agree on a payment system for the players and then this current advantage goes away. Those are more or less my concerns. At the moment I’m happy to get these kids if we can…just hope we can make a deep run soon to build some momentum in the program.

1) This will be answered  this year. I don't think there will be much up for debate at the conclusion of this season.

2) Don't understand why this is an issue. If we were a top 5 program and still doing this, would we still complain? I have never seen a big market team's fan base in any other sport including this one, that says you know what... we have the money, but lets not spend it. People are donating to have the money specifically used for recruiting. and in some cases, what I am gathering, for specific recruits. In this case, it seems like people to flipping money over for BM specifically, why would we not use all of that money for its intended purpose? 

3) Isn't this the case everywhere? Rice and Carlyle i don't think were in bidding wars. didn't Balo get a higher offer somewhere else? Tucker & Goode weren't bidding wars. Didn't Storr ask Kansas for $1M to flip from Illinois? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Well heavens.. we had experts and IU fans convinced he was heading to UK with Moreno. That was like last week. 

He’s making his own decision. UK has never been in the lead. They were in there, but it’s been IU and UConn in the top tier above everyone else for a little while. 

A few days ago I was told 55/45 UConn. It’s neck and neck. IU needs to do a great job on the OV (which I’m sure they will) and give one last pitch to convince the family it’s the place for him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4