2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

On 9/3/2024 at 11:28 AM, dwtaylor1055 said:

phew, almost doubling what UCONN offers from an NIL perspective would be very hard for an 18-year-old to say no to.  

why not just match their offer rather than double it.  Is IU that awful that we need to pay double for recruits vs what other schools are offering?

4 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

why not just match their offer rather than double it.  Is IU that awful that we need to pay double for recruits vs what other schools are offering?

probably not as appealing if it is matched.  outside of IU being closer to home, UCONN has been much for relevant come tourney time than IU recently.  overcompensate from a money perspective to make up for IU being less relevant in recent years come tourney time and potential to win it all  Just my thoughts

29 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

probably not as appealing if it is matched.  outside of IU being closer to home, UCONN has been much for relevant come tourney time than IU recently.  overcompensate from a money perspective to make up for IU being less relevant in recent years come tourney time and potential to win it all  Just my thoughts

So the pitch is "we're not the best option for you but we'll toss more money at you to compensate for it"?

It's someone else's money but just seems crazy that is where we are as a program.

44 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Well, part of it is I’m not sure that the main IU collective knows how much UCONN has offered Braylon - maybe they do, I didn’t ask.. But the main IU collective involved is close to already matching UCONN. If they did/do know how much they needed to match UCONN I don’t think it would be an issue.

I don’t know if these IU collectives work together or how that all goes, I just know that we may potentially double UCONN’s NIL if the other collective goes through with it.

37 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

So the pitch is "we're not the best option for you but we'll toss more money at you to compensate for it"?

It's someone else's money but just seems crazy that is where we are as a program.

Welcome to the new episode of How the World Turns.

Not sure why this is an issue.

Boosters/Collectives/etc. are donating money to get recruits. 

image.jpeg.d7bf2d7780fb1a50458f6cd489c603a8.jpeg

The answer is probably.. yes.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

You really have to be deeply invested in negativity towards our program and coach for that to be your hot take.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

You really have to be deeply invested in negativity towards our program and coach for that to be your hot take.

how is that?    Thinking IU should be good enough to stand up to other schools isn't a negative take towards the program.

I would say thinking IU has to overpay for players to consider us is the negative take.

Sorry that I think IU should be capable of competing with UConn without doubling the NIL offer.  Oh my God, I am so awful and not a true fan because I think IU offers more outside of money than you apparently do.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Like 2

Just now, iuswingman said:

how is that?    Thinking IU should be good enough to stand up to other schools isn't a negative take towards the program.

I would say thinking IU has to overpay for players to consider us is the negative take.

I'm confused. 

"Is IU that awful that we need to pay double for recruits vs what other schools are offering?"

"So the pitch is "we're not the best option for you but we'll toss more money at you to compensate for it"?

It's someone else's money but just seems crazy that is where we are as a program."

These are your quotes.

Why does a negative remark always have to come with anything that is trending positively?

Kansas is constantly the leader on players they want. Cal same deal. I'm sure Cal offered more to Darius Acuff than IU did. He must be a loser and Arkansas must have "tossed more money to compensate."

BM is the #1 target for IU right now. BM may be the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th target for UConn. The want usually correlates with the $$$$$$$$. Simple economics, no?

I just simply don't understand why you are so worried about other peoples' money that they donate to land Mullins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I'm confused. 

"Is IU that awful that we need to pay double for recruits vs what other schools are offering?"

"So the pitch is "we're not the best option for you but we'll toss more money at you to compensate for it"?

It's someone else's money but just seems crazy that is where we are as a program."

These are your quotes.

Why does a negative remark always have to come with anything that is trending positively?

Kansas is constantly the leader on players they want. Cal same deal. I'm sure Cal offered more to Darius Acuff than IU did. He must be a loser and Arkansas must have "tossed more money to compensate."

BM is the #1 target for IU right now. BM may be the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th target for UConn. The want usually correlates with the $$$$$$$$. Simple economics, no?

I just simply don't understand why you are so worried about other peoples' money that they donate to land Mullins.

It is just my opinion that we shouldn't have to spend more than our competitors to land a recruit.  It's not like we are Purdue/chopped liver.

You think Mullins is the priority over Haralson?  

Just now, iuswingman said:

It is just my opinion that we shouldn't have to spend more than our competitors to land a recruit.  It's not like we are Purdue/chopped liver.

You think Mullins is the priority over Haralson?  

I agree to an extent with that. It would be nice to be able to land recruits for $0. Different teams have different priorities. I am sure the money correlates with with the list of priorities. 

I have less than zero inside knowledge. All I can do is read what's out there and weed through the 💩. By what has been said I fully believe BM is #1 target. JH is 2. Less confident here....EBJ/ER 3.... Sisley 4

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Sorry that I think IU should be capable of competing with UConn without doubling the NIL offer.  Oh my God, I am so awful and not a true fan because I think IU offers more outside of money than you apparently do.

Right now UCONN is on a different level as IU so to get him they have to go above and beyond UCONN. It is just like the Colts and Pacers have to over pay for free agents because a lot of players don't want to live in Indiana.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Right now UCONN is on a different level as IU so to get him they have to go above and beyond UCONN. It is just like the Colts and Pacers have to over pay for free agents because a lot of players don't want to live in Indiana.

with as many potholes that the circle city has, I'd shy away too.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

Ready to have your mind blown? According to that same post that mentioned our new offer, despite back-to-back championships, UConn is in such disarray that they offered more NIL money that our initial offer! I'm sure their boards are filled with rage and hand wringing over the state of their program! Why should they even have to offer a scholarship? They win titles!

I guess the other take would be to realize that's how the world works. If you want something with a limited supply, you might have to offer more than other people. Intangibles can help, but when you're competing against the repeat champions, you have to offer something more. Even if you're competing against Montana A&M, you want to beat your competitors offer. That's how you win. There's no salary cap, we don't win by saving money. In fact, it might be just the opposite. We get a reputation for paying out, then players want to come. We get the players and then we win. We win and we get more donations. We get more donations and we pay more players. I, just like the spiral, could continue, but I'll leave it there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Ready to have your mind blown? According to that same post that mentioned our new offer, despite back-to-back championships, UConn is in such disarray that they offered more NIL money that our initial offer! I'm sure their boards are filled with rage and hand wringing over the state of their program! Why should they even have to offer a scholarship? They win titles!

I guess the other take would be to realize that's how the world works. If you want something with a limited supply, you might have to offer more than other people. Intangibles can help, but when you're competing against the repeat champions, you have to offer something more. Even if you're competing against Montana A&M, you want to beat your competitors offer. That's how you win. There's no salary cap, we don't win by saving money. In fact, it might be just the opposite. We get a reputation for paying out, then players want to come. We get the players and then we win. We win and we get more donations. We get more donations and we pay more players. I, just like the spiral, could continue, but I'll leave it there.

...well said.

35 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Imagine counter-offering on a house and your offer is the same or worse than the one currently on the table. The seller would laugh at you and you'd still be searching for a home. 

Kansas, Duke, UCLA and especially Kentucky have paid recruits since the advent of modern basketball to get players to play there.  

Ohio State has an estimated $100 M bigger budget than we do for athletics.  Hardly a level playing field.   

I am all for a George Steinbrenner-like attitude for IU basketball.  If you’ve got it, take advantage of your built in advantages.  It’s the marketplace.   We’d be beyond moronic not to exploit it to the max. 

One of our big plans at the strategic admin level is not taking advantage of a blue chip asset for the university.  Basketball is not a sports thing.  It’s a much larger asset for the university.  Investing in NIL pays off in many ways for the school that goes way beyond basketball W’s and L’s.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1