2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

4 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Hindsight is 20/20.

I do not recall a single person on this board that wanted Smith other than @btownqb

8 months ago Everyone wanted to prioritize Sisley over Mullins because Sisley was the projected 5 star and Mullins was a 3. Then we say that that was wrong. 

The difference here is the Monday morning QB's get to change their mind after everything is said and done even 3 years later.

I can say I was always pro smith and always wanted IU to prioritize Mullins. Smith is a little different though because IU landed JHS

Edited by DC2345

2 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

Disappointing? Sure only because of the time and effort the staff put in. Huge miss? Hardly. I’d take a backcourt of 22-23 year old Carlyle and Rice over a 19 year old Mullins and Haralson. If Mullins is still in college after 2 years, Hurley’s 10 month plan for him had to have gone horribly wrong.

We can try to justify it all we want, but losing a sharpshooting kid (massive need) out of our backyard is a huge disappointment, and it stings. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

All respect to our locals that watched the kid play but I'll use the example of when we missed on TKR. Is anyone 2 years later freaked out that we missed on him? Seems like a good player but he isn't program changing at all. I'll use the same example I've said before. When we miss on the Oden, Conley, Gordon types.....it sets a program back as it did with us. When you miss now you just load up on the portal. 

I'll also say if we do miss on Mullins it's a tough one but nothing that can't be overcome with presumably $2M (Mullins and Haralson) in portal $ this spring to spread around. If the kid wants to head out of state good luck....he's dead to me IF that happens and we can direct our assets to who wants to join in the spring. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

All respect to our locals that watched the kid play but I'll use the example of when we missed on TKR. Is anyone 2 years later freaked out that we missed on him? Seems like a good player but he isn't program changing at all. I'll use the same example I've said before. When we miss on the Oden, Conley, Gordon types.....it sets a program back as it did with us. When you miss now you just load up on the portal. 

I'll also say if we do miss on Mullins it's a tough one but nothing that can't be overcome with presumably $2M (Mullins and Haralson) in portal $ this spring to spread around. If the kid wants to head out of state good luck....he's dead to me IF that happens and we can direct our assets to who wants to join in the spring. 

Exactly. There is a better chance that IU lands a more productive player in the portal than what you would have gotten out of Mullins for a year or two. There's even a better chance that player might already be on the roster. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Exactly. There is a better chance that IU lands a more productive player in the portal than what you would have gotten out of Mullins for a year or two. There's even a better chance that player might already be on the roster. 

How did college basketball even exist before the portal?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think it’s too early to make that claim on TKR tbh.  Playing next to arguably the best college big in the last 20 years the last two years has impacted what he’s been able to show.  This is the first year he’ll be able to truly shine and I think he will.

I think the portal is very hit or miss especially when you have to replace so many guys every year.  It can work but we’ve also seen instances where the chemistry has been off too.  It’s a crapshoot IMO.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it’s too early to make that claim on TKR tbh.  Playing next to arguably the best college big in the last 20 years the last two years has impacted what he’s been able to show.  This is the first year he’ll be able to truly shine and I think he will.

I think the portal is very hit or miss especially when you have to replace so many guys every year.  It can work but we’ve also seen instances where the chemistry has been off too.  It’s a crapshoot IMO.  

Again all due respect to the locals but if you can't make your footprint known when a guy like Edey is getting double/triple teamed and is freeing up space for others when will you?

I'll get this back to Mullins though. I won't sugar coat. I hate missing on the kid (IF that happens) but in this world we can just go find more guys. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Hard to compare TKR to all time greats in Indiana HS basketball 

But he’s a great teammate & student who does whatever the team needs 

Portal is great if you have the right team culture….you guys are closer so maybe you can tell me what it is now…

22 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Hard to compare TKR to all time greats in Indiana HS basketball 

But he’s a great teammate & student who does whatever the team needs 

Portal is great if you have the right team culture….you guys are closer so maybe you can tell me what it is now…

I'm sorry. I thought he was on the short list with the likes of Gordon and a couple of others that had won similar awards. Don't think it's a reach at all given the hardware the kid won.