2025 SG Braylon Mullins

KDB

Let’s be honest, none of these current h.s recruitments matter unless our coaching staff takes the current team and meets or exceed expectations. One bad season away from a new coaching staff and another Liam M type scenario. That said, if we meet or exceed expectations, then you open up a world of possibilities. I think the fact that we find ourselves in the final list with so many guys shows there are things that are intriguing about IU but one glaring weakness- not just success but consistent success. 

If losing Liam and Braylon doesn’t wake our staff up in regards to our playing style, I’m not sure what else will. 

• Like 3

Luke Murray - This is the name to remember.  He is the why behind the what in terms of that UCONN offense and how beautiful it is.  Signed a 3 year contract extension this past july with UCONN.  Whenever the time comes post CMW, Luke Murray better be on the short list of candidates.  With all the high 5 star guys we are whiffing on, we'll have plenty of NIL money to help contribute to Luke Murray at IU

• Like 2

It really is amazing how predictable IU recruiting has become. Every year IU is in on 4 or 5 top 30 players, gets them to campus, and makes everyone excited over the prospects of a monster class. Then as decision time approaches, a few of these guys come down to a two-horse race between IU and UConn/Kansas/Kentucky/ND/Maryland. People convince themselves that IU is the only logical choice (e.g., Hurley is a fraud coasting on Luke Murray’s coattails, while Woodson's new offense is going to be the game changer). Any suggestion that it's not going to be IU is blown off by program insiders as nonsense or unreliable. The staff remains confident, we're told.

And then the player (predictably) goes elsewhere.

Fland, Queen, Haralson, now (apparently) Mullins. Quite possibly Reibe too. Probably some others I'm forgetting. 

It seems pretty clear that this staff is only going to land top talent when either $$ is the predominant factor, or the timeline is very short. It just can't close on elite recruits during the traditional HS recruiting process. Literally, JHS is the only top kid this staff has landed (and enrolled) during the fall signing period to date, now in the 4th recruiting cycle. Not good.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, ObjectiveIUFan said:

It really is amazing how predictable IU recruiting has become. Every year IU is in on 4 or 5 top 30 players, gets them to campus, and makes everyone excited over the prospects of a monster class. Then as decision time approaches, a few of these guys come down to a two-horse race between IU and UConn/Kansas/Kentucky/ND/Maryland. People convince themselves that IU is the only logical choice (e.g., Hurley is a fraud coasting on Luke Murray’s coattails, while Woodson's new offense is going to be the game changer). Any suggestion that it's not going to be IU is blown off by program insiders as nonsense or unreliable. The staff remains confident, we're told.

And then the player (predictably) goes elsewhere.

Fland, Queen, Haralson, now (apparently) Mullins. Quite possibly Reibe too. Probably some others I'm forgetting. 

It seems pretty clear that this staff is only going to land top talent when either $$ is the predominant factor, or the timeline is very short. It just can't close on elite recruits during the traditional HS recruiting process. Literally, JHS is the only top kid this staff has landed (and enrolled) during the fall signing period to date, now in the 4th recruiting cycle. Not good.

I think what adds to the sting is we landed mcneeley and it was our own fault we lost him with no one else to blame. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The administration woke up in regards to playing terrible football. Now, I hope this season ends up in some kind of trophy and banner celebrations. But I do feel like time is running out on Mike Woodson. He's protected by people, but eventually the fans will hold those people accountable.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That may be too little, too late. (Jury is still out on this one) You don't just get to work your ass off to land kids the last 4 or 5 months of their recruiting cycle.  You need that energy early and often and it has to continue the entire time you are recruiting them.  Fair or not, Woodson was taking a ton of heat coming off last season for how he was approaching HS recruiting.  All that energy seemed to increase exactly at the point when the grumbling had gotten really loud.  I wear my dislike for Woodson as a coach on my sleeve, so take this as you will, but a guy being forced to do something is going to show in lack of results compared to someone whose heart is fully in it.  I don't think Woodson is in on the HS recruits that don't have a bunch of stars after their name.  He waited too long on Mullins and has allowed other suitors in the door because he wasn't there, as the home court coach, until all the stars ended up behind the kid's name.  That is a losing game for Woodson due to his lack of on court success in comparison to the teams and staffs he is trying to recruit against.  He has found out that most of these kids and their advisors don't care about his NBA pedigree. 

There are two ways to look at Woodson and staff's HS recruiting efforts right now:  1.  They didn't put the work in on these kids early enough and are now missing out and/or 2.  This staff is absolutely awful at recruiting HS kids.  Like downright terrible.

I honestly think it boils down to them not putting much stock in the necessity of recruiting HS kids.  I don't think Woodson like the time it takes and instead prefers the "free agency" route of using the portal.  That leads to bad outcomes because their heart isn't in it.  That is also why I barely check these recruiting things anymore because most of these kids were never going to have any attachment to Indiana and whatever percentage that used to be is exponentially lower with Woodson in charge.  

They were the first ones to offer Harrelson before his freshman season and the same with Mullins. It has been more than a 4 month work on the 25 class.

• Like 2

Hopefully Mullins comes to IU.  The IU connection in state is a massive lifetime plus from a business standpoint.  They are reportedly offering the most money.  Walking away from huge sums of money is not logical.   These aren’t small sums.  He will still get good training and play at a high level.   IU will get him shots.  It’s easy for his parents to get there.   It seems like common sense.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

Take it for what it is worth I messaged a guy I know who is close to the Greenfield basketball program. It is not my brother's former son  in law that I talked about earlier. He just messaged me that no decisions have been made and he and his family is not talking to anyone.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 10/10/2024 at 9:56 AM, IUFLA said:

Woodson has said he tailored his style to his personnel the first 3 years in the interview I linked in the Woodson Megathread...I'm sure he's thrilled with the flexibility he has this coming year

Go read the comments from a certain 7 foot recruit about the offense he saw in practice during his visit. Sounds like more of the same . pick and roll and feeding the post. Zebras dont change their stripes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Go read the comments from a certain 7 foot recruit about the offense he saw in practice during his visit. Sounds like more of the same . pick and roll and feeding the post. Zebras dont change their stripes.

Did UConn exclusively jack up 3’s because they had several 40+% 3pt shooters? Or did they also play through Clingan?

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Take it for what it is worth I messaged a guy I know who is close to the Greenfield basketball program. It is not my brother's former son  in law that I talked about earlier. He just messaged me that no decisions have been made and he and his family is not talking to anyone.

That is true but Josh did talk to someone about UConn’s offense and then that got morphed and ran with yesterday. Whoever he was talking to started yapping like crazy and made some assumptions from what I heard 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They were the first ones to offer Harrelson before his freshman season and the same with Mullins. It has been more than a 4 month work on the 25 class.

Was it work or was it "work"?  I honestly don't know.  I know Mullins Dad was on social media not too far back kind of indicating he didn't feel the home school was doing work.  Just offering a kid takes next to zero effort.

36 minutes ago, Indykev said:

And?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

HS recruitment has never mattered less to success as a program.  Who cares.

Agree in general, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. 

And from an institutional perspective,  I'd think IU would want to evaluate how much bang it's getting for it's buck from a recruiting budget perspective given how much the University spends to fly Woody & Co. around the country for these types of HS recruiting results.

4 minutes ago, ObjectiveIUFan said:

Agree in general, but that doesn't mean it doesn't matter at all. 

And from an institutional perspective,  I'd think IU would want to evaluate how much bang it's getting for it's buck from a recruiting budget perspective given how much the University spends to fly Woody & Co. around the country for these types of HS recruiting results.

Athletes and money management are an oxymoron! Had a friend in Georgia that played in the CFL. (Canadian Football) Said he was young and dumb and spent all the money he was making as fast as he made it!

I still hope we get this guy, but spending 1.5M on a freshman is not the way to play this game. There are too many guys that end up like Bates - even guys who end up like JHS do less that actually leads to winning than a guy like Rice. The risk reward calculation just doesn't play out in favor of big freshmen. I'd gladly take a 4 year guy like Sisley at what I assume is a third, or less, of the price.

• Like 1