2025 SG Braylon Mullins Commits to UCONN

KDB

2 hours ago, Kdug said:

I mean probably 4 of the top 7 guys in the IU rotation are from this latest transfer class. I’m not the OP, but I took making the team over as meaning significantly changing what the team looks like. I’d say the staff did that in this latest transfer class.

You and I view the term "entire team" differently I guess...

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

It's been mentioned many times that Woody was not Dolson's choice and that he was basically forced to hire him by the board including Buckner and others and that part of his hiring had to include Matta and Fife etc. But the Woody stuff is a well beaten, ripped to shreds, dead horse. 

I meant the complicated part about why Dolson eventually gave in on Woodson.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The best players are still found in HS.  They play for a year (maybe two) and then go to the NBA.  You can of course still find good players in the portal, but focusing so exclusively on the portal ensures that you are cutting yourself off from a portion of what I would label the best players.  Even if you disagree with that, you yourself are saying you cut yourself off from at least half of the best players.

It is a stupid approach.

I mean yeah, one and done players are obviously very good. But every team in the country wants them, so they will always be difficult to get, and it’d be difficult to rely on getting those types of players year in and year out.

And I never said to not focus on high school. I was just pointing out that this statement is not true: “You aren't generally getting top tier athletes and great players coming from a good environment in the portal.” Not sure how you concluded that I was saying to cut off high school recruiting.

You can get great players from both high school and the portal. I think it makes sense to keep both avenues open in case that wasn’t clear.

I thought I was going to have a scoop for you guys. I was coming home and got off on the Mt. Comforts exit and in front of me was a stretch limo. I thought I am going to follow it to see if they was going to the high school for the announcement. Well the limo turned west and didn't hear towards Greenfield. I thought Hurley came in for the announcement.

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You and I view the term "entire team" differently I guess...

I thought it was pretty obvious what OP was implying based on context. No team is literally building their entire team through the portal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ObjectiveIUFan said:

Now this is the story I'd love to hear...

In short it was two fold. It gave Woodson/a former IU player a chance which Woodson had been angling for behind the scenes since 2013-2014 and Dolson also knew he wasn’t a long term answer. After Brad said “no” Dolson didn’t want to hire a long term coach. It also got Buckner and his boys off his back. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• KDB changed the title to 2025 SG Braylon Mullins Commits to UCONN
22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

In short it was two fold. It gave Woodson/a former IU player a chance which Woodson had been angling for behind the scenes since 2013-2014 and Dolson also knew he wasn’t a long term answer. After Brad said “no” Dolson didn’t want to hire a long term coach. It also got Buckner and his boys off his back. 

Mike Woodson told us at Hubers that he plans on coaching here for a long time. So if Dolson thought he'd get rid of him fast, he's got another thing coming. Need to get Buckner and Yonkman out of the way.

Now it is tim to shelve recruiting until the spring. Lets  all of us get behind this team and the players who actually chose to play for IU. We need to root for this team and hope for a great season.  I am to old to let recruits picking other schools to bother me any longer.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Now it is tim to shelve recruiting until the spring. Lets  all of us get behind this team and the players who actually chose to play for IU. We need to root for this team and hope for a great season.  I am to old to let recruits picking other schools to bother me any longer.

As much as it would be nice for this to happen you know this board won’t do that. 

9 minutes ago, IUskim said:

As much as it would be nice for this to happen you know this board won’t do that. 

Probably why I  plan to not be on here much after the season starts especially after games.

It doesn't matter what the outcome is because if we win then the people that back the coach will call out the haters If we lose, well we already know the outcome of that

It’s not just Quinn.   Steve Ferguson is Chairman of the Board of Cook and a former chairman of the Board of IU.  I believe he’s well into his 80s.   He and Quinn have had a major hand in installing Woody.  It’s cronyism and agendaism.  

There are fans whose philosophy is to be 100% behind the coach and that’s a valid viewpoint.  We are all friends here and I respect the view and think it’s important that we hear that viewpoint.  

But even among that cohort, privately I’m sure most can see that they might support Woody but they’d be hard pressed to argue he’s the best coach for IU.  Unfortunately, Ferguson has injected himself into basketball failure after failure after failure for decades but lacks self awareness.  There’s a power imposition dynamic.  This has been a cultural issue at IU for decades beyond just him but he’s a central figure.  

Dolson is a stud.  He’s navigating some dysfunction above him with the people with the money and power who put their cronyism and agendas above the welfare of the school.    Dolson is a very skilled guy with bright ideas.  He’s organized and a good leader.  He’s a sports guy and gets it from that point of view.  That can be a rare trait.   For example, compare him with Fred who was hardly any of that.  

Scott is not just a bureaucrat.  We are lucky we have him to navigate some of these issues.  He’s shown his wares.   He tried to make the best of the Woody situation by installing guardrails.  Regarding Cignetti, where Scott was left to his own devices, he made a brilliant hire.  And go listen to what he said when he hired it.  His reasoning was tremendous.   This is the type of analysis we’d get from Dolson if he were allowed to run his own show.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Kdug said:

I thought it was pretty obvious what OP was implying based on context. No team is literally building their entire team through the portal.

There are teams that were way more extreme in roster turnover than IU was this off season...I might buy the hyperbole talking about Minnesota or Illinois...

But I think it's pretty obvious that we built our team through the prevailing conventional wisdom in roster building...

Kept the kids we wanted to keep

Filled holes rotation holes with high ranking portal kids

Filled backup roles with experienced lower rated kids

Grabbed a highly ranked freshman...

And I believe that will more than likely continue to be the way forward until they straighten out the portal/transfer process, and start straight paying the players...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

If you’re interested in reading about Mr Ferguson, here is his bio.  

https://honorsandawards.iu.edu/awards/honoree/6129.html#:~:text=Stephen "Steve" Ferguson received his,Group Incorporated of Bloomington%2C Indiana.

When Woody was hired, notice his special reference to Mr Ferguson.

”I’d like to thank the Ferguson family, Steve and his whole family because he’s been a major mentor in my life; the Cook family, Bill who is no longer with us, known him for many, many years, and he was one of my early mentors, he and Gale Cook and Carl, just a beautiful family.”

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/03/29/transcript-mike-woodson-introductory-press-conference/

When Knight was recently given his bench at the HOF recently, Mr Ferguson injected himself into it.  Woody, May, Ferguson, Buckner with their cronyism.  Which one doesn’t belong?   Here is a photo. 

IMG_2967.webp

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fkfootball said:

Mike Woodson told us at Hubers that he plans on coaching here for a long time. So if Dolson thought he'd get rid of him fast, he's got another thing coming. Need to get Buckner and Yonkman out of the way.

Mike Woodson likes to say things that aren’t real to the media and fans. I’ll leave it at that

• Thanks 2

I love how some people think Woodson has some kind of lifetime contract. That’s not reality. Dolson can make a move when he wants to for the right person. Oh and Buckner will be out of the picture soon. Also Woodson says things on the golf course with his buddies that’s almost the opposite to what he says when there’s a microphone in his face.

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Explain why a lot of the top coaches have left the business the last couple of years. Bennett and Wright left while they still had plenty left to coach but felt it was no longer worth it. Im a few years we will be left with HC who comes from more of an AAU back ground but don't know the game that well or know how to coach the game.

Because they are getting old like Woodson is.