2025 SG Braylon Mullins Commits to UCONN

KDB

5 minutes ago, athleticdeptiugrad said:

We are very interested in Indiana this year and I know we aren't the only athletic department that is very curious as to how it will turn out.

The problem that I see is the amount of roster turnover that IU will have. I don't think it make sense to constantly try and get half your roster in the portal in a month and a half. Sure there's players that you'll want but so will other teams. To me the portal is great as a fallback and to get supplementary pieces.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

The problem that I see is the amount of roster turnover that IU will have. I don't think it make sense to constantly try and get half your roster in the portal in a month and a half. Sure there's players that you'll want but so will other teams. To me the portal is great as a fallback and to get supplementary pieces.

Welcome to today's college basketball landscape. I would bet most teams will have to get 5-7 new players every year. There are no guarantees that Mullins or Harrelson would have been at IU for more than a year

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Welcome to today's college basketball landscape. I would bet most teams will have to get 5-7 new players every year. There are no guarantees that Mullins or Harrelson would have been at IU for more than a year

I agree. Most programs aren't trying to replace all of those openings via the portal

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Been well documented but have bit my tongue. Kids are off limits for the most part but parents? He's in a category that doesn't fit well in Greenfield. Carmel...like the McRoberts clan sure...but you'd think someone from a small town would still be pretty well grounded. Guess not. 

Don't know if you're on the other site, I mostly just lurk, but I had some real questions about the Barrel Rick poster well before he identified as a Mullins.

• Like 3

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

Makes sense… wondering if my acquaintance has lost track of time. 😂 Bc he said he spoke to Braylon’s Dad a couple days ago. Maybe he meant a couple “months”. Didn’t mean to get any hopes up. I was questioning it as well. 

.....people just listen to what they want to hear.

I love what some of our "insiders" bring to these boards because they often seem to be "in the know" on a regular basis. Some have said things like "done deal" or "I'm being told IU"...... then the bottom drops out that quickly. Sometimes I feel that's the kiss of death...lol

• Like 1

Just now, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m starting to wonder if Braylon’s Dad intentionally lied to a so-called friend bc he knows the cat is out of the bag and wants some suspense for the kid. 

I think we were strung along the entire time by Mullins, in truth. I think they're still butt hurt that Woodson wasn't there the Wednesday night of sectionals. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I agree. Most programs aren't trying to replace all of those openings via the portal

Most programs are also not recruiting one and done's because if you are (and landing them) you will need to replace them every year somehow ie Kentucky (previously) I think IU needs to focus more on HS recruits who are not "5 stars" or at least not multiple 5 stars. But most "high level" programs are going to recruit 5 stars and lose them early (NBA) or they transfer. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....people just listen to what they want to hear.

I love what some of our "insiders" bring to these boards because they often seem to be "in the know" on a regular basis. Some have said things like "done deal" or "I'm being told IU"...... then the bottom drops out that quickly. Sometimes I feel that's the kiss of death...lol

The reason I thought what I was told could be legit is bc the acquaintance is not an IU fan. He’s just regularly around the AAU scene and speaks to Braylon’s Dad often, so I don’t think he was just hearing what he wanted to. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's where we are. I can tell you that the Woodson hire was taken with a lot of interest in our building just in the fact that coaches that we talked to didn't think Woodson was so much of a college type of coach given the landscape that was and is happening now around high school recruiting. There wasn't any talk of the kind of coach he was, but rather we thought of him as more of an NBA guy. Whatever else you hear, Indiana is very revered in the internal college landscape. If there is any discussion around Indiana in athletic departments, it's more bewilderment than anything else. It's more of a "wow, can you imagine what Indiana would be like if they could figure it out?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, athleticdeptiugrad said:

That's where we are. I can tell you that the Woodson hire was taken with a lot of interest in our building just in the fact that coaches that we talked to didn't think Woodson was so much of a college type of coach given the landscape that was and is happening now around high school recruiting. There wasn't any talk of the kind of coach he was, but rather we thought of him as more of an NBA guy. Whatever else you hear, Indiana is very revered in the internal college landscape. If there is any discussion around Indiana in athletic departments, it's more bewilderment than anything else. It's more of a "wow, can you imagine what Indiana would be like if they could figure it out?"

I think they will based on the Cig hire. That's why I am not overly concerned with Woody and his weaknesses. He either starts winning bigger/better or IU will simply move on and sooner than later. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I think they will based on the Cig hire. That's why I am not overly concerned with Woody and his weaknesses. He either starts winning bigger/better or IU will simply move on and sooner than later. 

They'll be moving on one way or another. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

The Cignetti hire was incredible. That raised a lot of eyebrows for us. Indiana is interesting for us because of the portal and seeing how Woodson does with it, but nobody in our building saw the Cignetti hire. We thought he was SEC bound for sure given his Saban ties and that he was in Virginia with JMU. What Indiana does if Woodson doesn't have success after what's happening in football will be informative. Like I said, I don't work at Indiana, but the pressure cooker Dolson's in has to be wild.

Edited by athleticdeptiugrad
misspelling
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think we were strung along the entire time by Mullins, in truth. I think they're still butt hurt that Woodson wasn't there the Wednesday night of sectionals. 

This is exactly what I believe.  And he’s not the first Indiana kid to do this.  I’ve said this here before, but I think our approach to recruiting Indiana kids needs to change a bit.  Still recruit them hard, but give them a deadline to commit.  These kids visit unofficially and talk to the coaches literally hundreds of times.  If there are things they don’t like, they know about it, but they like the attention of an Indiana offer and stringing them along.  At some point, the coaches need to realize they aren’t coming and devote their resources elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, athleticdeptiugrad said:

The Cignetti hire was incredible. That raised a lot of eyebrows for us. Indiana is interesting for us because of the portal and seeing how Woodson does with it, but nobody in our building saw the Cignetti hire. We thought he was SEC bound for sure given his Saban ties and that he was in Virginia with JMU. What Indiana does if Woodson doesn't have success after what's happening in football will be informative. Like I said, I don't work at Indiana, but the pressure cooker Dolson's in has to be wild.

Dolson has a plan and knows what he wants to do. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

This is exactly what I believe.  And he’s not the first Indiana kid to do this.  I’ve said this here before, but I think our approach to recruiting Indiana kids needs to change a bit.  Still recruit them hard, but give them a deadline to commit.  These kids visit unofficially and talk to the coaches literally hundreds of times.  If there are things they don’t like, they know about it, but they like the attention of an Indiana offer and stringing them along.  At some point, the coaches need to realize they aren’t coming and devote their resources elsewhere.

Go back to how RMK dealt with recruits. Ask them are they  coming to IU. If they don't say yes right away move on.

• Like 1

I guess it is starting where former players are coming out and ripping today's players. I was listening to the radio and there are former players from Alabama and USC that is ripping the current players. They are saying these players are more worried about doing TikTok videos and their brand over winning games.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think the roster turnover is blown way out of proportion. You lose Ballo, Galloway, Goode, and most likely Mgbako. Good chance you bring back Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Reneau which is a great nucleus to build from and you only need 2-3 portal guys that factor into the rotation. 

In the event guys like Rice and Carlyle blow up and are good enough to get first round grades and leave, I see it as a win-win. 

1) We've obviously had a great season

2) Just makes IU all the more attractive portal destination

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Neither was Hurley or Hubert Davis or many of the other coaches in his top 5, 8, 10 whatever list he put out there in the last month or so. In fact, not sure any of those guys knew who Mullins was back in late February/early March. They sure as hell hadn't offered him. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

You're right. The product has gone down at IU. Not so much other schools that have head coaches that now how to recruit and consistently put together a balanced roster.  

The problem is Woody’s ego will keep him here longer than he should. He thinks he’s going to turn IU around and I truly hope he does but the way this is going with him having to portal hunt for lots of players coming up it will leave IU in a not so great spot.