2025 SG Braylon Mullins Commits to UCONN

KDB

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm not that far behind you with this. Why invest hundreds of hours, hundreds of thousands in travel/recruiting expenses,etc...when you can just sit back every Spring. 

I just don't understand the model. It's absurd. 

How many times did these coaches need to visit a 17yr old? lol ....idk. I am around young people all day, every day... I can't imagine trying to pamper one like that. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I just don't understand the model. It's absurd. 

How many times did these coaches need to visit a 17yr old? lol ....idk. I am around young people all day, every day... I can't imagine trying to pamper one like that. 

I don't get it from the kid's perspective. If I'm a big time basketball recruit, I want to sit in on a practice, I want coach to show me some film of how they do things and talk to me about what my role will be and I want to know how big that bag will be. That takes a weekend visit to get done. After that, I don't want a coach texting me or calling me and I sure don't want him showing up at my dinner table. Seems like that would get old real quick.

• Like 4

Just now, HoosierDom said:

I don't get it from the kid's perspective. If I'm a big time basketball recruit, I want to sit in on a practice, I want coach to show me some film of how they do things and talk to me about what my role will be and I want to know how big that bag will be. That takes a weekend visit to get done. After that, I don't want a coach texting me or calling me and I sure don't want him showing up at my dinner table. Seems like that would get old real quick.

Oh I completely agree. Like... it's borderline weird. 

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I think you'd be surprised at how many 16-17 year olds love hearing how great they are all day, every day. 

• Like 1

I’m almost in the boat with the stop recruiting high school players group. When in the end, it doesn’t matter how hard you stay on them… or how long you’ve been recruiting them. What matters to kids now days are

1. Money/brand

2. Playing time

3. Exposure

4. Fit

5. Relationships etc.

At no point does being close to home impact any top tier talents decision, because they’ve already been playing all across the country since they were in middle school on the AAU circuit. We can’t be mad about him choosing brand over home, when the home team hasn’t been consistently relevant since before he was born. He’s making a business decision. 

1 minute ago, Danomatic said:

I’m almost in the boat with the stop recruiting high school players group. When in the end, it doesn’t matter how hard you stay on them… or how long you’ve been recruiting them. What matters to kids now days are

1. Money/brand

2. Playing time

3. Exposure

4. Fit

5. Relationships etc.

At no point does being close to home impact any top tier talents decision, because they’ve already been playing all across the country since they were in middle school on the AAU circuit. We can’t be mad about him choosing brand over home, when the home team hasn’t been consistently relevant since before he was born. He’s making a business decision. 

The head coach doesn't build real relationships with recruits like other HC's do. That's the biggest problem with IU's HS recruiting. If you live off the portal every single year to fill half your roster then you're playing with fire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

The head coach doesn't build real relationships with recruits like other HC's do. That's the biggest problem with IU's HS recruiting. If you live off the portal every single year to fill half your roster then you're playing with fire. 

I absolutely agree, which is why I think that it’s a waste of time recruiting HS athletes as long as Woody is manning the ship. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

How much more ass kissing does a coach have to do. We visited Greenfield 3 times in a month and he came here for an official visit. If a kid thinks a coach needs to text them daily to feel the love, they have a problem.

• Like 2

Just now, Danomatic said:

I absolutely agree, which is why I think that it’s a waste of time recruiting HS athletes as long as Woody is manning the ship. 

To an extent but you always have to keep relationships. Even if it's just to benefit the assistants on down the road. Woodson is a train wreck when it comes to recruiting. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

How much more ass kissing does a coach have to do. We visited Greenfield 3 times in a month and he came here for an official visit. If a kid thinks a coach needs to text them daily to feel the love, they have a problem.

It's about the communication part of it. It's just how it is. Woodson sucks at that part with HS kids. I get a grown man that's never been through it doesn't get it but it's the reality of the job. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

To an extent but you always have to keep relationships. Even if it's just to benefit the assistants on down the road. Woodson is a train wreck when it comes to recruiting. 

You exaggerate a little because until the last month everyone was praising him for how well this off season has gone. Yes it hurts missing on two in state recruits but don't forget the one we also got.

I also don't know why anyone would want to coach college sports anymore. Your job shouldn't be babysitting a bunch of entitled 17 year old kids who thinks their shit doesn't stink.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

You exaggerate a little because I til the last month everyone was praising him for how well this off season has gone. Yes it hurts missing on two in state recruits but don't forget the one we also got.

I'm not exaggerating. He's gotten better but he's still not good at it and it shows. Why do you think IU is always in the mix for these top recruits but never lands them. The assistants do their jobs but Woodson... not so much. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I also don't know why anyone would want to coach college sports anymore. Your job shouldn't be babysitting a bunch of entitled 17 year old kids who thinks their shit doesn't stink.

Old man yells at clouds. I can think of several million reasons why the job isn't real bad at all. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I'm not exaggerating. He's gotten better but he's still not good at it and it shows. Why do you think IU is always in the mix for these top recruits but never lands them. The assistants do their jobs but Woodson... not so much. 

JHS

Banks

Cupps

Newton 

Sisley 

They are all top 100 ranked recruits we got in long recruitments so don't use the word never gets them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Old man yells at clouds. I can think of several million reasons why the job isn't real bad at all. 

Yep Iam an old man and hate how the game I love is getting ruined by all of this non sense. I don't think being called an old man is an insult and very proud of what I stand for. I am all for change if it helps the product but the product we have seen on the court has went down over the years.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

JHS

Banks

Cupps

Newton 

Sisley 

They are all top 100 ranked recruits we got in long recruitments so don't use the word never gets them

Woodson had very little to do with landing any of those guys. That's just a fact. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Explain why a lot of the top coaches have left the business the last couple of years. Bennett and Wright left while they still had plenty left to coach but felt it was no longer worth it. Im a few years we will be left with HC who comes from more of an AAU back ground but don't know the game that well or know how to coach the game.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yep Iam an old man and hate how the game I love is getting ruined by all of this non sense. I don't think being called an old man is an insult and very proud of what I stand for. I am all for change if it helps the product but the product we have seen on the court has went down over the years.

You're right. The product has gone down at IU. Not so much other schools that have head coaches that now how to recruit and consistently put together a balanced roster.