2025 SG Braylon Mullins Commits to UCONN

KDB

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

I think the roster turnover is blown way out of proportion. You lose Ballo, Galloway, Goode, and most likely Mgbako. Good chance you bring back Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Reneau which is a great nucleus to build from and you only need 2-3 portal guys that factor into the rotation. 

In the event guys like Rice and Carlyle blow up and are good enough to get first round grades and leave, I see it as a win-win. 

1) We've obviously had a great season

2) Just makes IU all the more attractive portal destination

That's if nobody enters the portal or decides to go pro and hope to be a second round pick. They'll also lose Hatton, Leal, and James. I get they'll have varying roles but that's still bench depth that needs to be replaced. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

They'll be moving on one way or another. 

That's why I am just going to enjoy the season and see what they can do this year. In my mind I think Woody has set up his own exit/retirement by repeatedly saying the goal is Big Ten/NCAA championships if you catch my drift. Hence why I am not going to get too upset by what he's "not" doing. He either wins big and goes out high, or underachieves and goes out "not so high". One thing I don't think is going to happen, he's not going to bottom out the program the way Archie or Sampson basically did. Whomever takes over might need to step up recruiting, but I think the rest of the program is decent shape to take off like you're saying, "one way or another". I am looking forward to this season because we finally have some Big Ten level guard depth.

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

That's if nobody enters the portal or decides to go pro and hope to be a second round pick. They'll also lose Hatton, Leal, and James. I get they'll have varying roles but that's still bench depth that needs to be replaced. 

Hopefully Newton will become fully healthy and contribute like the coaches thinks he can.

I am more worried about the front court recruiting over the guard and wing position. I think losing out on Reibe and Tiller are the bigger losses.

Rice 

Carlyle 

Tucker

Cupps

Newton 

That could be a strong nucleus in the back court

In the front court we would only have Reneu and Sisley. In the front court I would rather get through the portal because it sometimes takes a big longer to develop.

15 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Dolson has a plan and knows what he wants to do. 

This is interesting and I know some who suspect as much. There were some of us who thought the Woodson hire might be giving some in the fanbase what they wanted. That turned into us asking ourselves "OK, but if Woodson doesn't work out, is Dolson still around to eventually do what he wants to do?" The Cignetti hire really changed the narrative for a lot of us outside the program.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, athleticdeptiugrad said:

This is interesting and I know some who suspect as much. There were some of us who thought the Woodson hire might be giving some in the fanbase what they wanted. That turned into us asking ourselves "OK, but if Woodson doesn't work out, is Dolson still around to eventually do what he wants to do?" The Cignetti hire really changed the narrative for a lot of us outside the program.

I assume your position in the athletic department is to monitor opposing teams message boards. Are you here to monitor how our fans feel about our coaches so your coaches can use it in negative recruiting towards IU 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Don't know if you're on the other site, I mostly just lurk, but I had some real questions about the Barrel Rick poster well before he identified as a Mullins.

I don't go to any other site. This one has been my home for years and don't need to go anywhere else. Is he verified or just grabbing attention?

Just now, IU Scott said:

I assume your position in the athletic department is to monitor opposing teams message boards. Are you here to monitor how our fans feel about our coaches so your coaches can use it in negative recruiting towards IU 

No not at all. I'm an Indiana graduate and an IU fan. To be honest, I didn't ever post because I just didn't feel as if I had anything to offer outside of what was being already said by everyone else here. As I said in my initial post, it's more interesting now with the portal and what Indiana/Woodson is doing with it. If anything, I hope my comments shed light on how other ADs view Indiana, and don't misunderstand me. I myself am not a current athletic director. The NIL/Portal changes our strategies and Indiana comes up now and then because of what the staff has done in the portal by almost making the entire team over. It's very interesting.

Believe me, we never take fans into consideration when making any decisions or reports. That is NEVER on our radar. I can understand the reluctance on your part though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, athleticdeptiugrad said:

because of what the staff has done in the portal by almost making the entire team over.

Right now, our team is comprised of 7 high school recruits and 6 portal kids...

Not sure that can be viewed as making the entire team over via the portal...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I think a major benefit of recruiting HS kids in the future will be to start a relationship that pays off when that kid is an upperclassmen and is looking to transfer. 

Correct. Rice and Carlyle both had a relationship with Rosemond. I think this really works with top 150 guys who blow up elsewhere. 

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Correct. Rice and Carlyle both had a relationship with Rosemond. I think this really works with top 150 guys who blow up elsewhere. 

Why can't we just scout the right guys? 

Cignetti has 14 guys on our roster that were zero-star recruits. Sarratt was playing D2 two years ago. 

The worst part of our basketball program since Crean left... our scouting, coupled with development. (although Woodsons has at least shown he's miles ahead of Archie in the development portion) 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

The problem is Woody’s ego will keep him here longer than he should. He thinks he’s going to turn IU around and I truly hope he does but the way this is going with him having to portal hunt for lots of players coming up it will leave IU in a not so great spot. 

Woodson says a lot of stuff publicly that he has almost zero control of. Keep that in mind. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think we were strung along the entire time by Mullins, in truth. I think they're still butt hurt that Woodson wasn't there the Wednesday night of sectionals. 

Recruits and their agents are keeping IU among the finalists because IU is offering the most NIL money. It enables them to leverage some more out of the selected team, even if they don't match IU's offer. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, athleticdeptiugrad said:

I've heard the story and it's much more complicated as to why he gave in to hiring Woodson. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I absolutely agree, which is why I think that it’s a waste of time recruiting HS athletes as long as Woody is manning the ship. 

Yes.  The tune changes when the staff turns over.  This staff has no idea at many levels how to recruit in high school.   It’s not even debatable.  

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Cignetti has 14 guys on our roster that were zero-star recruits. Sarratt was playing D2 two years ago. 

The worst part of our basketball program since Crean left... our scouting, coupled with development. (although Woodsons has at least shown he's miles ahead of Archie in the development portion) 

Omg yes 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I love how Cignetti scouts.  Just as an example, look at our RBs.  Not electric athletes.  You can see they aren’t pulling away from the defense.  Cignetti didn’t care.  He’s focused on their vision, ability to shift, and their solid frames.   Done.  Apply that to all positions.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hopefully Newton will become fully healthy and contribute like the coaches thinks he can.

I am more worried about the front court recruiting over the guard and wing position. I think losing out on Reibe and Tiller are the bigger losses.

Rice 

Carlyle 

Tucker

Cupps

Newton 

That could be a strong nucleus in the back court

In the front court we would only have Reneu and Sisley. In the front court I would rather get through the portal because it sometimes takes a big longer to develop.

Not one concern about front court recruiting. TJD, Ware, now Ballo not to mention Reneau. If a kid can't see that development or guys wanting to be here so be it. 

I still think Goode gets his extra year too.

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Right now, our team is comprised of 7 high school recruits and 6 portal kids...

Not sure that can be viewed as making the entire team over via the portal...

I mean probably 4 of the top 7 guys in the IU rotation are from this latest transfer class. I’m not the OP, but I took making the team over as meaning significantly changing what the team looks like. I’d say the staff did that in this latest transfer class.

• Like 1

Another question I have is if Mullins decision was made over a week ago why wait this long to announce it. It seems like they just want to put on show to make themselves look big. I would say the same thing if he was choosing IU.

I am sure the people at the school will be respectful but I am sure most are disappointed he isn't going to IU.

• Like 1