Big Ten Basketball 2023-2024

22 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah they are a better team this year with the addition of Jones

Indeed….i hope this board doesn’t freak out when they are playing in the final four…because this team indeed has the right mix of players to win it all….much better roster construction. If they don’t have major injuries this team is much more suited for a deep run then last season….partly because the guards are a year older but also the additions this offseason were very smart and provided just what they lacked last year. I actually think Edey is not even playing as well as last year but that shouldn’t matter…the rest are.

Edited by dgambill

40 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don’t get the hate on Woody…there is nothing he can do about the lack of shooting on the roster now. Everyone should have been crying about it over the spring when we didn’t land any. Now he is going the best he can with what he has. If he fails to land in next offseason….well his butt will be on fire. Everyone in the state knows what we need…missing out on shooters once is a mistake….twice would be inexcusable and I’d question what we are going….its fine and dandy to land 4 and 5 stars but you have to have some kids that can shoot the 3 in this day and age. Seems we landed one for next year but one guy can be schemed against to be taken out of the game….we need 3-4 more. If we don’t fix the 3pt shooting….after the last coach basically got fired over not having shooters and not being able to defend the 3….i may just give up on IU ever winning the B1G again.

I won't go that far but one thing I think we all agree on is our love for IU. Especially our hoops. We want it so bad it gets a little 50/50 on the brain during January. I know I do. 

36 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Not a big Underwood fan, but I’ll say this. He had a system at SFA that was winning 30 games/year and got him hired at Ill. It was a total failure in the B1G his first two years. He totally abandoned it and has been successful since. A lot of coaches would be too stubborn to make such a drastic change in their system. 

It's weird. Underwood was in a strange way similar to many other coaches. Have to play guys to their strengths and not necessarily what they as a coach wants to do. Not an Underwood fan at all. He got credit for dumping into Kofi and dunking. 

Finally feel like he has the team he wants now....of course it only took 6+ years.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems like it and I'll say the same thing I've said for years. After 7 years on the job Painter and Purdue didn't win a tourney game for 4 straight years....years 8, 9, 10, and 11.....yet we neuter our staff for being on the job for 2.3 years after winning tourney games in both. Just a thought. 

I’d say we have much higher standards? Or are we content looking up to Purdue?

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed….i hope this board doesn’t freak out when they are playing in the final four…because this team indeed has the right mix of players to win it all….much better roster construction. If they don’t have major injuries this team is much more suited for a deep run then last season….partly because the guards are a year older but also the additions this offseason were very smart and provided just what they lacked last year. I actually think Edey is not even playing as well as last year but that shouldn’t matter…the rest are.

We’ll probably lose in the first round again lol. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I don’t get the hate on Woody…there is nothing he can do about the lack of shooting on the roster now. Everyone should have been crying about it over the spring when we didn’t land any. Now he is going the best he can with what he has. If he fails to land in next offseason….well his butt will be on fire. Everyone in the state knows what we need…missing out on shooters once is a mistake….twice would be inexcusable and I’d question what we are going….its fine and dandy to land 4 and 5 stars but you have to have some kids that can shoot the 3 in this day and age. Seems we landed one for next year but one guy can be schemed against to be taken out of the game….we need 3-4 more. If we don’t fix the 3pt shooting….after the last coach basically got fired over not having shooters and not being able to defend the 3….i may just give up on IU ever winning the B1G again.

Our three point shooting since December is top 40 in the country. We have enough shooters, we don’t shoot enough of them or run good enough stuff for them. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s a fair point, but if Woody doesn’t win a tournament game between ages 71-75 I think we will rightfully want him to retire :coffee:

In all seriousness Painter’s lack of tournament success would bug me if I was a Purdue fan. He had won a Big Ten title, made multiple S16s and finished top three in two of the four seasons you’re referencing though. I’d love if our rough stretches involved two top three finishes.

Honestly, some of the tournament blunders have bugged me but I think a lot of folks are hit with a bit of recency bias. Obviously the last three years we’ve lost to double digit seeds which sucks but that isn’t the norm for him. Usually, he plays to his seed and doesn’t get upset nor upset anyone. It’s pretty wild to think of the perception of Painter if not for the divine intervention that somehow allowed UVA to make it to the F4. Is Painter a different coach because of that one fluky play? I think too much emphasis is put on making final fours even though I’d love to see us make it this year. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Honestly, some of the tournament blunders have bugged me but I think a lot of folks are hit with a bit of recency bias. Obviously the last three years we’ve lost to double digit seeds which sucks but that isn’t the norm for him. Usually, he plays to his seed and doesn’t get upset nor upset anyone. It’s pretty wild to think of the perception of Painter if not for the divine intervention that somehow allowed UVA to make it to the F4. Is Painter a different coach because of that one fluky play? I think too much emphasis is put on making final fours even though I’d love to see us make it this year. 

I think that’s a reasonable take, and I do agree Purdue has had some bad tournament luck between the UVA game and the Haas injury. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I hate watching Colman Hawkins wine on every call.

My wife talked about his whining the whole game, to the point she said she could never watch Illinois play again.

OMG!  I married Scott!

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious to hear what y’all thought of the Jones technical?

I didn't think it should have been flagrant.  That said, it's not like the refs had it out for Purdue.  It was a judgement call.  

34 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think that’s a reasonable take, and I do agree Purdue has had some bad tournament luck between the UVA game and the Haas injury. 

Not as bad of luck as all the women Haas shared his STD with.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t remember people making a big uproar no….sure a few were making the case and I think those people knew we would struggle this year because of it. I’ve been pretty well just hoping for a tournament bid this year. I think Woody realized it as well as he went after several shooter/scorers in the portal really hard. Love, Knecht, Ledlum, Timberlake, Battle, and especially Reeves all major targets we missed and all would be considered shooter/scorers.  We just didn’t land any of them but we targeted them.

That’s a mistake…that sucks and that kills us…but nothing we can do now and I think Woody knows the issue…so no use complaining when it isn’t something we can’t fix in the middle of the season. Complain about his substitution patterns, inability to defend 3pt line, etc….but we have who we have…to complain game after game about something that is no longer fixable this year is just pointless. Now if he pulls the same crap next year…well that’s grounds for finding a new coach and a problem in that he can’t build a roster.

My concern is that it actually has been two years. He inherited a team that couldn’t shoot his first season. Parker Stewart left after year 1, who was their best three point shooter. They added Miller Kopp, but no portal guards. Their only transfer guard in three years is XJ. As far as guard recruits, they”ve added JHS, Newton and Cupps. They don’t have any guard recruits for 2024. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Insane that Goode was called for a foul here. 

Have a few Illini friends blowing up the group text on that one. Unreal. Kind of Edey related maybe our student section should start counting 1, 2, 3 every time Edey enters the lane and see how many times we get to 5?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well Brad Underwood committed coaching malpractice against us last season. The way he covered Trayce was absolutely putrid - huge plunder on his part.

Painter didn’t adjust the deep coverage Edey plays in either game against us last year which allowed JHS to cook them. It was a bit of a pick your poison with JHS and TJD, particularly with small inexperienced guards for Purdue, but he needed to try something different. Less drop coverage, hard hedges, trap and force the ball out of JHS’s hands.

Those are the first thing that shooting to mind schematically for me with those two coaches.

Going longer term Painter made some major roster construction mistakes/recruiting mistakes after the Baby Boilers. He seems to have learned that lesson and overall does a good job of finding guys that can run the stuff he wants, and then he tweaks from there. 

Agree but Zach would draw some cheep fouls trying to hedge 

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Curious to hear what y’all thought of the Jones technical?

I've seen fouls called in that situation many times, never a flagrant though.

Lots of strange things last night, Edey getting 4 called on him, has to be a record?

Didn't anticipate getting crushed on the boards like that, Kaufman really had a nice game.

Disappointed that Brad didn't have a better answer to Purdue's strategy of not guarding Rodgers. It was discussed a ton ahead of the game by Illini fans, so pretty obvious it was going to happen. And he admitted he knew it but then just "didn't practice it enough"? To come back out in the second half with Rodgers out there again was puzzling.

Illini hung tough which is great but that first half was perplexing from this group as well.

1 minute ago, BruceDouglas said:

Lots of strange things last night, Edey getting 4 called on him, has to be a record?

Didn't anticipate getting crushed on the boards like that, Kaufman really had a nice game.

Disappointed that Brad didn't have a better answer to Purdue's strategy of not guarding Rodgers. It was discussed a ton ahead of the game by Illini fans, so pretty obvious it was going to happen. And he admitted he knew it but then just "didn't practice it enough"? To come back out in the second half with Rodgers out there again was puzzling.

Illini hung tough which is great but that first half was perplexing from this group as well.

Definitely an interesting game all around for sure. I think Edey has fouled out a few times but yeah it’s rare to see him in foul trouble like that. TKR was a stud and I think that he’ll be our top scorer next year tbh. And that’s a good call re the Rodgers situation. Painter has employed strategies like that before and it’s worked well. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Goode, blocked him out, took a by the rule book, flagrant one elbow to the head.  Refs can ruin sports. 

He should have flopped instead of locking Zach’s arm 

Underwood got his fouls on Edey 

Loyer & Smith 5-20 

11 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Purdue had it with Eastern….it can work if you run motion and keep Zach moving 

Purdue really struggled with perimeter switches & Domask clear outs