2023 Mackenzie Mgbako COMMITS TO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has done theze pictures at every visit 

That’s fine…just seems wrong to release it unless he is committing. It really makes the kids look bad if they hype stuff up like this and then they don’t commit. It’s like they are selling clicks and follows instead of just making up their minds where to go. I mean this about those releasing the photos not even so much the kids.

Just now, NotIThatLives said:

The little video of them clapping together.   That's a little much.  What can inspire so much emotion?  I'm reading into that.  

Like, I'm really bad at acting.  If you told me, OK, act like you just told Coach you are committing and clap and act all happy.  That would be super weird for me and I couldn't make it look that good.  Especially if I was leaning Kansas.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I mean… it’s just a photo, if we read into it too much, that’s on us, not on them

I mean what else are we to make of it? Please tell me and I’m happy to just read that. I feel like it’s meant to play on peoples emotions…not mad…just saying they know what they are doing and really laying it on thick to get clicks. You are right though we definitely feed into this whole dog and pony show. Lol

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean what else are we to make of it? Please tell me and I’m happy to just read that. I feel like it’s meant to play on peoples emotions…not mad…just saying they know what they are doing and really laying it on thick to get clicks. You are right though we definitely feed into this whole dog and pony show. Lol

They do it at every visit. And it's usually the school, not the student that makes them public.

I may be wrong here, but I don't think MacKenzie actually made these public.

• Like 2

I hate that we invest so much time and energy into the decisions that teenagers make. I want IU to accumulate as much talent as possible but not at the point of groveling at the feet of kids. I'm sure that CMW conducts himself in a very professional and business like manner. But we fans can get over the top. Even with this kid, we will have a lot of work to do to integrate this many new players into a good basketball team.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

They do it at every visit. And it's usually the school, not the student that makes them public.

That’s what I said in my original post. I wasn’t directing it so much at the kids but the media people. 

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s fine…just seems wrong to release it unless he is committing. It really makes the kids look bad if they hype stuff up like this and then they don’t commit. It’s like they are selling clicks and follows instead of just making up their minds where to go. I mean this about those releasing the photos not even so much the kids.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

They donit at every visit. And it's usually the school, not the student that makes them public.

they do some form of them every visit but not this deep but that is IU staff trying to make it special. 

He sent them to Slater who did. 

However, these guys are not Google. They don’t get paid for clicks. It is just to make them feel special etc. try recruiting without doing that. The kids enjoy them and everything matters in a tight fight. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

you pretty heavily implied it, because he left Duke over Filipowski returning so he would be afraid of our wings (Gunn and Banks). And you questioned his defense.

So no, you didn’t outright say it, but you were pretty clear in your position on him

I didn't "imply" anything. I said I thought we were a longshot because while we might have playing time available, St Johns or Louisville could offer not only the time, but a larger role in the offense. You do understand we have some pretty good college players manning the 5, 4, and 1 positions, right?

And I'd question any freshman's defense on coming into a Mike Woodson coached team. He is, by self admission, a defensive coach first. Gunn and Banks have been in Clif's program for a couple of years now, and also know what Woody wants on the defensive end. I said if Mgbako wants big minutes, he'd better be ready to compete.

I also said I trust in Coach Woodson. He's got more basketball knowledge than the posters on this forum combined X 10 with a cherry on top. If Mgbako is the best fit of the 3 still on the table in his eyes, then I'm onboard. 

My "position on him"  was only clear in your mind because you constantly need something to pick at. 

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Would he be a massive addition in your mind or no?

He has the potential to be, sure.

But you yourself in another thread said judging high school kids was subjective. Except with Mgbako, right?

You also stated "Romeo had the really high ranking, but that isn't really about what he accomplished as it is what they thought he would accomplish post high school. To that end... he's underwhelmed."

If the Mgbako kid chooses IU and comes in as a freshman and matches Romeo's 17 ppg (with an ailing hand, no less) then I'll be impressed... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't "imply" anything. I said I thought we were a longshot because while we might have playing time available, St Johns or Louisville could offer not only the time, but a larger role in the offense. You do understand we have some pretty good college players manning the 5, 4, and 1 positions, right?

And I'd question any freshman's defense on coming into a Mike Woodson coached team. He is, by self admission, a defensive coach first. Gunn and Banks have been in Clif's program for a couple of years now, and also know what Woody wants on the defensive end. I said if Mgbako wants big minutes, he'd better be ready to compete.

It was only clear in your mind because you constantly need something to pick at. 

He has the potential to be, sure.

But you yourself said judging high school kids was subjective while saying "Romeo had the really high ranking, but that isn't really about what he accomplished as it is what they thought he would accomplish post high school. To that end... he's underwhelmed."

If the Mgbako kid chooses IU and comes in as a freshman and matches Romeo's 17 ppg (with an ailing hand, no less) then I'll be impressed... 

Romeo was on a below average/very limited team with a coach that proved he was out of his element. If you put Romeo on this team next year that is a tournament team for sure…if you put him on last years team that would have been a final four capable team. He just didn’t have the supporting cast. We desperately need a shot maker on this team. All things point to this kid being more than capable at that. Package him and Dingle and I think this team has enough firepower to make another top half of the B1G and a 3rd consecutive tournament. Very important in building towards these 24&25 recruiting classes that we have a lot of top recruits in the running.

• Like 1

This was fun to watch it play out. Now all we can do is wait and see what the Mgbako family decides. Hopefully what is good for them is good for us. Regardless, hats off to the staff for what appears to be an excellent approach toward bringing in the best. I’m happy with where we are and with where we are headed. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gunn and Banks have been in Clif's program for a couple of years now, 

?????  Gunn and Banks were still in HS a year ago. They have a year in the system, which is big, but CJ was a 3 star (#178) and Kaleb a 4 star (#92). I thought Banks showed promise last year and has the most promise of breaking into the lineup. Unless his rating is way off, Mgbako is at a different level in talent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

?????  Gunn and Banks were still in HS a year ago. They have a year in the system, which is big, but CJ was a 3 star (#178) and Kaleb a 4 star (#92). I thought Banks showed promise last year and has the most promise of breaking into the lineup. Unless his rating is way off, Mgbako is at a different level in talent

They came in last June, so going into there second year in Clif's program...

My bad...

The fact remains they've been in a college strength program, playing against college players...

Time will tell... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Which visits did his dad go on? Does it have to do with some are visits during the week?

From my understanding, his dad only made it to the IU visit. I could be wrong but I feel like I saw that somewhere. There’s certainly no other pics of his dad on his visits anyway except at IU.

• Like 1