2024 F Kanon Catchings Commits to BYU

btownqb

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Why can’t they be both be true?  When he asked out of his NLI, they didn’t fight to keep him. I doubt they said “don’t come back, we’re done with you,” but when he reached back out to come back, I’m guessing it was a quick discussion where they told him thanks but no thanks. 

When KC decommitted a week ago, you said Painter saw it coming, even after saying that Catchings was 100% committed and absolutely going to Purdue, and told him that he wasn't guaranteeing playing time, or increasing NIL, and Painter told him we are done with you, go away, we are releasing you from NLI. Since then you are saying that Catching has called Painter and asked for his spot back? Seems highly unlikely.

The story has been contorted so many times, I can no longer follow along.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Asked out of his NLI?

LOL you literally just quoted Brian who said Purdue released him from his NLI.

Either Catching asked for his release because Painter didn't guarantee playing time (Neubert's first narrative) or Purdue released Catching because they got sick of him getting cold feet (the current narrative).

This is exactly what I'm talking about, pick a narrative and stick with it. You literally just contradicted yourself.

It’s semantics.  I don’t think Purdue cut him loose proactively.  I think a discussion was had and Kanon decided he wanted something else, and asked to be released from his NLI.  Purdue then granted the release without any resistance because they were over all of it.  As has been said many times, they easily could’ve said the right things and kept him.  But they chose not to. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s semantics.  I don’t think Purdue cut him loose proactively.  I think a discussion was had and Kanon decided he wanted something else, and asked to be released from his NLI.  Purdue then granted the release without any resistance because they were over all of it.  As has been said many times, they easily could’ve said the right things and kept him.  But they chose not to. 

It's not semantics, it's damage control. 

How convenient of Brian to come out publicly and say all this an hour after he commits to BYU. He could have said that at any point in the last week and a half. He's a mouthpiece trying to control a narrative. This much is obvious. 

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

When KC decommitted a week ago, you said Painter saw it coming, even after saying that Catchings was 100% committed and absolutely going to Purdue, and told him that he wasn't guaranteeing playing time, or increasing NIL, and Painter told him we are done with you, go away, we are releasing you from NLI. Since then you are saying that Catching has called Painter and asked for his spot back? Seems highly unlikely.

The story has been contorted so many times, I can no longer follow along.

Care to show me where I said he was 100% committed and absolutely going to Purdue?

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

It's not semantics, it's damage control. 

How convenient of Brian to come out publicly and say all this an hour after he commits to BYU. He could have said that at any point in the last week and a half. He's a mouthpiece trying to control a narrative. This much is obvious. 

What do you think beat writers for schools are?  lol. Rabjohns is the same thing but for a school you root for. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

What do you think beat writers for schools are?  lol. Rabjohns is the same thing but for a school you root for. 

I dig at Rabjohns any opportunity that I can. Like I said, guys like Neubert and Rabjohns are mouthpieces for the respective staffs of the schools they write for. That's how they're privy to information. Well Rabjohns may have lost the in with the current staff given his shenanigans back in Feb/March, but these guys write what Purdue and Indiana want them to write. It's not that complicated.  

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not surprising at all.  Much better chance to play a lot at BYU. 

Here's the full quote: 

“Purdue is an exceptional program,” Tauja said. “Kanon’s goal when he committed to Purdue was just to play college basketball. His goal now is to play in the NBA. Purdue has been more of a traditional program, which I like. I played four years at Illinois. But I think Kanon as probably looking for a program that can support his timeline.”

This probably explains why Kanon was never all-in on Purdue despite family wishes, lack of a Purdue presence in the NBA and a system that supports it. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Here's the full quote: 

“Purdue is an exceptional program,” Tauja said. “Kanon’s goal when he committed to Purdue was just to play college basketball. His goal now is to play in the NBA. Purdue has been more of a traditional program, which I like. I played four years at Illinois. But I think Kanon as probably looking for a program that can support his timeline.”

This probably explains why Kanon was never all-in on Purdue despite family wishes, lack of a Purdue presence in the NBA and a system that supports it. 

BYU is even less of a presence/system than Purdue. 

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Literally just committed to a coach hired from the NBA. 

That’s never been a college HC before.  No one knows whether he’ll be successful as a college coach.  Guy hasn’t proven anything at the college level.  

Edited by Stlboiler23

15 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s never been a college HC before.  No one knows whether he’ll be successful as a college coach.  Guy hasn’t proven anything at the college level.  

I think the short and long term success of BYU's new head coach is irrelevant in this instance. He's trying to get to the NBA as fast as possible. I think Kevin Young understands a thing or two about the NBA, which is all that matters to Kanon. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Any way you slice it, I feel bad for the kid.  Going to BYU over Purdue has to suck. 

I dunno.  I'm actually taking a vacation to Salt Lake City (which is pretty close to Provo) this summer. I can say without hesitation I'd never take a vacation to West Lafayette.

• Like 6

Purdue apologists embarrassed themselves on this.  Very ugly and recruits should take note.  This is the template for how NOT to handle it.  

Whether it’s IU, Purdue or anyone, one thing I can’t stand is whitewashing problems.  

• Like 4

Like I've been saying for awhile now, Purdue has a hell of a propaganda machine and it's getting the job done once again. 

LMAO at the idea that Catchings called Painter the next day and wanted his spot back. Zero chance that actually happened. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

It's the offseason, good sir, hell we'll almost allow political debates just to stem the tide until football starts

Good thing for the word almost....:coffee: 😃

12 hours ago, ledies22 said:

How can both be true? Brian is eluding to that Purdue was done with Catchings and told him to move on, and that, i guess, after being kicked off, Catchings calls back and begs for his spot back. 

I called Woody today and ask if i could be his 13th . i dont need mins just a seat courtside. :coffee:

Edited by Indykev
  • Like 2

• KDB changed the title to 2024 F Kanon Catchings Commits to BYU
17 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

BYU is even less of a presence/system than Purdue. 

How do you know that. Their new Coach was the top assistant in the NBA  I am sure the development will be fine. No proven players as of yet but do not be surprised if some more top 50 talent look at BYU. 

13 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Purdue apologists embarrassed themselves on this.  Very ugly and recruits should take note.  This is the template for how NOT to handle it.  

Whether it’s IU, Purdue or anyone, one thing I can’t stand is whitewashing problems.  

Icing on the cake is how they were supposedly going to handle it if Catchings stayed...I mean, they offered Benter a scholly and he accepts, then when the numbers weren't going to fit, they were going to supposedly ask him to walk on and pay his tuition out of NIL money? Are you kidding me? If I was his parent, I would have told him to get out of his NLI and look elsewhere even after Catchings did leave...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

How do you know that. Their new Coach was the top assistant in the NBA  I am sure the development will be fine. No proven players as of yet but do not be surprised if some more top 50 talent look at BYU. 

Definitely on the rise. They landed a kid out of Russia a few weeks back who is currently a consensus top 10 pick in the 2025 draft. Catchings is on a lot of 1st round mocks. Playing for a coach with NBA ties who understands the mentality is certainly a strong selling point. No clue if it works long term in regards to actual success at BYU, but guys like Catchings don't care about that. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Icing on the cake is how they were supposedly going to handle it if Catchings stayed...I mean, they offered Benter a scholly and he accepts, then when the numbers weren't going to fit, they were going to supposedly ask him to walk on and pay his tuition out of NIL money? Are you kidding me? If I was his parent, I would have told him to get out of his NLI and look elsewhere even after Catchings did leave...

Why are you assuming it was Benter?

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why are you assuming it was Benter?

23 hours ago, Boiler Sam said:

More like $20K. If it was going to be Benter, as rumored, that’s roughly  instate tuition and room and board. 

It’s only a contingency plan if you oversign and then no one leaves. Not something that would happen every year.

Maybe you fellas ought to get together and get your stories jiving before you come in and spread the BS :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5