Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not sure how I feel about that. Tons of talent, but he would have to be ridiculously reigned in.  

You never pass up talent. Woody lets them play but I dont think he'll let CL shoot from the logo like he did at UNC. I can hear coach now, You can get to the league but not the way you play, here's how.

You have to get him if you can.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

Still need three point shooting, ideally in the form of a 3 and D wing.

But that's also why I prefer Keshon Gilbert to Love. He gives you the 3s and the D, while still providing much of the benefits of Love.

Gilbert is a pure PG and Love is really a combo guard. They could play together 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I fully trust Woodson on this stuff, so if he thinks he can maximize Caleb Love's talent then it would be a huge transfer portal win. 

With that said I mentioned yesterday that I have a bunch of buddies that are UNC fans. I saw on last night and asked him his thoughts on Love leaving UNC. 

He said, "I wanted to pop open a bottle of champagne when I saw the news!" He was literally giddy that Love was leaving. 

Just like the 2 we put in the portal, 3 now. A new place, new start, a coach that takes no crap. Could strike gold. You have to take a swing.

• Like 1

Just now, Indykev said:

Just like the 2 we put in the portal, 3 now. A new place, new start, a coach that takes no crap. Could strike gold. You have to take a swing.

I don’t disagree, and also agree with @Inequality when he said we're not really in a position to turn talent away. 

I trust Woodson if he brings Love in and will be excited about it. 

But, the reaction of UNC fans does make you pause a bit. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I fully trust Woodson on this stuff, so if he thinks he can maximize Caleb Love's talent then it would be a huge transfer portal win. 

With that said I mentioned yesterday that I have a bunch of buddies that are UNC fans. I saw one last night and asked him his thoughts on Love leaving UNC. 

He said, "I wanted to pop open a bottle of champagne when I saw the news!" He was literally giddy that Love was leaving. 

Had a similar response from a UNC friend as well.  But then I had to step back and remember… big difference between Hubert Davis and Mike Woodson

Edited by Zville Hoosier
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Gilbert is a pure PG and Love is really a combo guard. They could play together 

I read Gilbert grew 4 inches and moved to more of a combo. 6'0 to 6'4 since entering college. He went to high school in Las Vegas as well, must want to get away from mom.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I say take four in the portal and sign Doubty from BD and red shirt him. 

Transfers 

Sparks, Ledlum, Sedrick, Love 

Starters 

XJ 

Love 

Banks 

Ledlum 

Reneau 

Bench 

Cupps 

Trey 

Newton 

Sparks 

Sedrick

Gunn 

Leal 

Doubty RS 

That’s a roster with some upside and versatility to play several different ways. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

That’s a roster with some upside and versatility to play several different ways. 

I know we say this every year but on paper that can be a deep team. I normally like an 8 man rotation but if you qualify guys coming off the bench then I am for a deep bench.  Two years ago I wasn't in favor of the mass subbing we did because the quality off the bench wasn't good enough.

At this point in time, XJ isn't a complete lock to return. Hopefully he does get that exemption.

That being said, Cupps and Galloway are our primary ball-handlers, with Newton and Gunn still works in progress. If nothing else, Love provides a competent handle that has been tested in High Major ball.

Last season, with the exception of JHS, everyone really deferred to Trayce on the offensive side. If Love provides an aggressive, attack-minded approach, I'm not going to be upset. We lamented the lack of that from this year's team. Let's find people who are hungry and capable of scoring.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

Had a similar response from a UNC friend as well.  But then I had to step back and remember… big difference between Hubert Davis and Mike Woodson

This might be the major key here… I have never watched a UNC game under Hubert and thought “that’s a good offense.” I can almost guarantee that style of play won’t fly under Woodson. Because of that, I’m cautiously optimistic that Love would be successful here.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Zville Hoosier said:

This. All the respect in the world to Carolina as a program and their fans....but that thing was a train wreck this year. None of it made any sense. That's on the coach. I'll gladly take a swing for a guy like Love. 

• Like 3