Transfers with IU Interest

If IU doesn’t find a real difference maker in the portal then I think they need to find a guy that’s got a track record of being a decent shooter that’s got some length who has 1 year left. That way they’ve got some proven shooting they can play off the bench that might be a safer option if guys like Gunn, Newton, and Leal aren’t capable of filling that role better. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

Question about Cupps:

Does he have some Aaron Craft in his game? If so, let’s get to it soon please. 

That's not the comparison I would make when I see him. He's got a better offensive game than Craft and really isn't that level of defender (few are that level of defender). 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That's not the comparison I would make when I see him. He's got a better offensive game than Craft and really isn't that level of defender (few are that level of defender). 

Yea that makes sense. I just remember deeply disliking that guy. I want us to have one of those. 🤓

• Like 2

For all of you who think Gallo should get recruited over, and come off the bench. I have a serious question for you, and I'm not being sarcastic or detrimental. I'd really like to know from you guys the following:

IF...Trey increased his 3 pt shot volume to say, 6-7/game, and shot 40+%, would that change your opinion if he should come off the bench or get starter's minutes? (and assume that his defense and hustle remain constant, which it should or get better even).

I don’t know why Leal can’t be that 40% 3pt shooter off the bench. He is athletic, he has good size at the 2, and at one point a very good shooter. No reason as an upperclassman this kid can’t contribute. I know it’s all between the ears but man this is his moment.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DWB said:

For all of you who think Gallo should get recruited over, and come off the bench. I have a serious question for you, and I'm not being sarcastic or detrimental. I'd really like to know from you guys the following:

IF...Trey increased his 3 pt shot volume to say, 6-7/game, and shot 40+%, would that change your opinion if he should come off the bench or get starter's minutes? (and assume that his defense and hustle remain constant, which it should or get better even).

Sure.  But I'd still want one more guy on X's level of athleticism that can blow by a guy at will.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I don’t know why Leal can’t be that 40% 3pt shooter off the bench. He is athletic, he has good size at the 2, and at one point a very good shooter. No reason as an upperclassman this kid can’t contribute. I know it’s all between the ears but man this is his moment.

1 minute ago, DWB said:

It’s all could of and potentially can.  We know what we know of Trey and Gunn.  Neither were offensively good enough at the end of the season. Our three starting guards at the end of the season were 13, 12 and 11.9 PER.  Great teams have players with 15+ PER.  Trey has never been above 12 his entire career.  He is a nice spark plug.  He isn’t the type of player that is going to win you anything.  X had a 15+ PER his entire career.  Nice start.  Need to upgrade  with better and more efficient players. Like I said, Galloway is a nice spark plug but not reliable for heavy loads offensively.  

• Like 1

Galloway is likely to start because CMW likes starting older guys, likes his level of effort, and cherishes the defensive side of the ball. Trey's shot improved to being respectable meaning defenses can't leave him alone and he can get to the rim. He's going to start barring injury.

I also believe if Galloway doesn't have to run point his game will continue to rise. His defense should be more disruptive again next season because he won't have to worry about staying on the court to get the ball up the court and set the offense. Last season made him a better and more complete player and he will prove it next season.

• Like 2

Zero issues with Galloway starting. But relying on Cupps, Newton, and Gunn as our backcourt would be our one question mark on the team. Not saying they can’t give us minutes. But having another veteran guard who can penetrate and get to the rim would be great. Happy with our team now, but that’s what I think is missing coming off the bench. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

He played a total of 24 minutes last year and scored 2 points (both on free throws). I hope he could come in and give us some valuable minutes because he's a homegrown kid and all signs suggest he's a great teammate.  But we needed his skills desperately in certain games last year and he didn't sniff even the court. Just don't think this bodes well for his projected minutes next year. 

2 hours ago, DWB said:

I'm not saying Galloway should be recruited over, but he shouldn't not be recruited over. If there's a guy out there that the staff likes, then they should go get him. Let them battle it out in practice. Competition is a good thing. 

And there's no reason in this era of the transfer portal to let a scholarship go to waste. Of the last 10 years, how many times has a major contributor on our team been lost to injury and missed a decent stretch of games? It seems like it's happened all 10 years. So why not cover ourselves with an insurance policy at the very least? If that insurance policy ends up getting more minutes than Gallo, even better. 

• Like 5

It’s probably worth pointing out for everyone saying these coaches brought in the guys behind Galloway and they trust them, that the only guys this staff brought in behind Galloway are the two freshman.

Gunn and Leal are Archie guys and the staff has honored the commitments made to them, but those weren’t guys this staff targeted. I hope Gunn can develop and be a player in the coming years for us, but we don’t have a single guard with experience this staff brought in behind X and Gallo. 

• Like 1

Leal has never shot 40% from 3 in his life and he's never been a really good shooter. Leal shooting 40% would put him in the Top 1-2% of shooters in the country.  40% isn't as easy as it used to be. 

Having said all that... not exactly knowing what we get from Cupps, Newton. I could see a combo of these guys being what we're looking for, knowing what we're selling. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DWB said:

To me whether Tr3y comes off the bench or starts, isn’t a “who’s better” conversation, it’s a strategical maneuver.  Let the other teams starter burn off some of their pregame hype and then if they stay in at the 16-14 min mark or the backup comes in, throw the jock and awww at them. 
if the opponent sets their “starter” and starts the backup, switch our guys up. 
If play between two is relatively equal, then “starter minutes” and backup minutes are pretty damn equal. 
let’s talk “closer minutes”! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s probably worth pointing out for everyone saying these coaches brought in the guys behind Galloway and they trust them, that the only guys this staff brought in behind Galloway are the two freshman.

Gunn and Leal are Archie guys and the staff has honored the commitments made to them, but those weren’t guys this staff targeted. I hope Gunn can develop and be a player in the coming years for us, but we don’t have a single guard with experience this staff brought in behind X and Gallo. 

So if im understanding your post right, Mike Woodson and his staff only trusts guys he recruited and brought in? 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

Leal has never shot 40% from 3 in his life and he's never been a really good shooter. Leal shooting 40% would put him in the Top 1-2% of shooters in the country.  40% isn't as easy as it used to be. 

Having said all that... not exactly knowing what we get from Cupps, Newton. I could see a combo of these guys being what we're looking for, knowing what we're selling. 

I’ve said that 35% in college is like 40% in the pros, with volume…

Leal being a good shooter has been a misunderstanding with the fan base.  Last I looked, I think he was consistently a 30% shooter (from 3).  

As for Gunn, love his length and potential.  He’s got some tenacity.  I think he can be a two way player.  Having said that, he’s going to have to earn it.  He shot an appalling less than 10% from three and wasn’t shy about putting them up.  It’s all on him to get better.  I hope he does.  We will recruit the heck out of his position as you can see in ‘24.  Newton is already here.  Ball is in his court to get better.  

The Archie days of hoping a kid gets better are over.  We are back to the Knight days of accumulating talent and pushing everybody and not waiting to see if Al Durham will toughen up when guaranteed to get heavy minutes.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So if im understanding your post right, Mike Woodson and his staff only trusts guys he recruited and brought in? 

You’re not understanding my point.

I don’t have any doubt he trusts Galloway or trusted TJD and Race, for example. Those guys earned that trust and we can see he trusts them.

I also don’t think he trusts guys just because he brought them in, though I’m sure it helps as they at least fit the profile of the guys he wants.

My point is that we don’t have any guys that we really can feel good he trusts (and by extension, us as fans can trust) behind X and Trey. We’ve got two freshman, that are more of the Kaleb Banks profile in terms of college readiness than they are JHS, and two guys he didn’t bring in and haven’t shown much to this point in their career to make us feel good.

Is it possible we can get by with what we have? Of course. Would a more prudent position heading into the season be to bring in a veteran that can at least backup the guys we do have? Yup!

I honestly am a little confused we are arguing that quality, proven depth would be a bad thing to have heading into the season. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

quality, proven depth

And there lies the rub...

It's gotta be quality to the point it's better than what we already have behind Trey in Woody's estimation...and that includes 2 kids he didn't recruit... 

I said in another post that if one of the quality kids that left the draft wanted to come to IU and compete for a job, that's great...

But if you look at what's currently left in the portal, I'm not sure many of them are as good as Tamar Bates... 

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And there lies the rub...

It's gotta be quality to the point it's better than what we already have behind Trey in Woody's estimation...and that includes 2 kids he didn't recruit... 

I said in another post that if one of the quality kids that left the draft wanted to come to IU and compete for a job, that's great...

But if you look at what's currently left in the portal, I'm not sure many of them are as good as Tamar Bates... 

I don’t really have a great way of knowing how they compare to Bates without watching film on all of them, do you?

We need a guard equivalent of Anthony Walker than can do a lot of little things despite not having great numbers and that really shines through by watching guys. That’s on the coaches to go do.

If we don’t add anyone so be it, we just are cutting into our margin for error and putting a lot of eggs in the development basket. That can certainly work out, but again, I just don’t see the argument against more options. 

• Like 2

It’s simple. The team played at its best when Trey Galloway was on the floor. We have three young guys in our line up next year. We need X and Trey both being seniors to keep that group together and tight. X is a floor general and so is Trey. 

Also, 

Galloway dramatically improved his shot from sophomore to junior year. I get that he didn’t have a lot of volume, but he took a major leap. Only expect the same thing going into his final year. He’s going to be even better. Kid is a dog and has to start in my opinion. 

I don’t see any other options on our bench currently that are worthy or even close to being able to start over him. 

Edited by Jackson Kellogs
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t really have a great way of knowing how they compare to Bates without watching film on all of them, do you?

I would imagine the On3 guys have seen plenty of film...And as of right now, there are only 2 guys abover Tamar...Vandy's Lawrence, who's a heavy Auburn lean, and I would imagine if Woody wanted him, or he had interest in IU we would have heard by now, and D'Marco Dunn of UNC (2.7 PPG)...

See for yourself...

We need a guard equivalent of Anthony Walker than can do a lot of little things despite not having great numbers and that really shines through by watching guys. That’s on the coaches to go do.

You need to be a bit more specific in who you think we should target...

If we don’t add anyone so be it, we just are cutting into our margin for error and putting a lot of eggs in the development basket. That can certainly work out, but again, I just don’t see the argument against more options.

There are only so many minutes available...As I said, if it's a home run...that's one thing...If it's a kid like say, David Jenkins at Purdue, that's another...Painter was able to talk him into sitting behind 2 freshmen, but he did give the kids the minutes...And that team won the Big 10 championship  and BTT whether we like it or not...You don't think athletic and talented kids like Cupps, Newton, and Gunn are potentially better than Smith and Loyer? That's what Woody does...develops kids... IU can't be a place where you have to be a junior before you get a legitimate shot...Not in today's college basketball climate...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I would imagine the On3 guys have seen plenty of film...And as of right now, there are only 2 guys abover Tamar...Vandy's Lawrence, who's a heavy Auburn lean, and I would imagine if Woody wanted him, or he had interest in IU we would have heard by now, and D'Marco Dunn of UNC (2.7 PPG)...

See for yourself...

You need to be a bit more specific in who you think we should target...

There are only so many minutes available...As I said, if it's a home run...that's one thing...If it's a kid like say, David Jenkins at Purdue, that's another...Painter was able to talk him into sitting behind 2 freshmen, but he did give the kids the minutes...And that team won the Big 10 championship  and BTT whether we like it or not...You don't think athletic and talented kids like Cupps, Newton, and Gunn are potentially better than Smith and Loyer? That's what Woody does...develops kids... IU can't be a place where you have to be a junior before you get a legitimate shot...Not in today's college basketball climate...

It’s not my job to tell the staff who to target at all, actually. I’ve outlined a profile of the type of player, I don’t have the time or desire to go watch that much tape. I’m not getting paid by IU to do that.

Purdue won the Big Ten by bringing in a veteran guard… how is that argument in favor of not bringing one in? Ten minutes per game from a veteran guard would be great, I’d be thrilled.