Transfers with IU Interest

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Did you read the "weaknesses" particularly from 3 in Nike play? I'm not sure those are good numbers for a 3... 

To be honest, if minutes are the prime consideration, I'd expect St Johns to be the most promising spot for him. 

I'm not... But I saw the same thing with Skyy Clark last year... 

Come on man... You know I respect your opinion a lot, but don't dismiss the stats simply because they don't fit the narrative... 

I didn't dismiss any stats... 

All I said... HSs regularly do a poor job with stats. Which is fact. Maybe his HS didn't... 🤷‍♂️

Are there stats for whatever AAU circuit he played on the last couple of season?.. and I have zero clue of how good his team/schedule is. Those are all aspects I would take into consideration before I used stats from HS to back an argument up. 

And to be clear, I don't have or see a narrative. 

Edited by btownqb

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Agreed. Woody has to find a balance, and I trust him to...

As for the bolded, I don't think he does either... I think he tells them they'll have a chance to compete... That's why I personally think Mgbako is a longshot... He got out of his NLI with Duke because Kyle Filipowski came back... He wants minutes...

If we get him, fine...

But no frothing or losing of s*** here 🙂

I don’t think we have anything that a reasonable person would.l consider comparable to Filipowski in terms of minutes competition.

If that’s why you think it’s a long shot, then that’s a laughable position. We may not get him, no clue, but to say that our competition for minutes is in the same ballpark as that couldn’t be further from the truth at this particular moment in time. 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I didn't... My point is, let's not act like he's a savior and "lose our s***" if we don't get him... I trust Woody and his staff to do what's best for our team

No one has said any of this. All anyone has said is he would start over our current guys, and not because he is promised something but because he is better than any three we have on our roster.

You can ask every question that you know isn’t something we can answer with anything concrete right now, to try to prove some point, but it is beyond silly to think he would start and get Major minutes. While we may not have seen him in college, we did see CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks enough to know that if there isn’t a MAJOR step forward from those two they don’t belong in the same conversation as this kid. That’s not a knock on them. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I didn't dismiss any stats... 

All I said... HSs regularly do a poor job with stats. Which is fact. Maybe his HS didn't... 🤷‍♂️

Are there stats for whatever AAU circuit he played on the last couple of season?.. and I have zero clue of how good his team/schedule is. Those are all aspects I would take into consideration before I used stats from HS to back an argument up. 

And to be clear, I don't have or see a narrative. 

I think there is a "public" narrative to anoint Mac a star.  Which is fine and I understand why.  I want the kid but I remain skeptical of the accolades until I see him perform at the college level...and hopefully that will be for us.

• Thanks 1

Under weaknesses that NBA draft site mentioned perimeter defense.  The thing is that Woody can pitch what he did with Miller Kopp defensively.  Miller was hardly Scottie Pippen laterally and Woody took a frankly lousy perimeter defender and got him to improve significantly without a good skill set to do so.  That’s compelling IMO

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, rico said:

I think there is a "public" narrative to anoint Mac a star.  Which is fine and I understand why.  I want the kid but I remain skeptical of the accolades until I see him perform at the college level...and hopefully that will be for us.

Who is pushing this narrative?

In terms of what he could be for IU, it isn't like we are saying he is going to come in and displace guys who have proven... anything at the college level. It is even more speculative to think the guys we currently have can be Big Ten caliber studs at the 3 than to think Mgbako can. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Really I’m just going based on history. There’s a pretty good chance top 25 guys will contribute in their first year. Look at our history alone….

Player - ranking
Mgkabo - 7
——-
JHS - 21
Romeo - 7
Bryant - 22
JBJ - 23
Vonleh - 9
Yogi - 25
Zeller - 10
*just missing out was Trayce at 30 and Lander at 26

All those guys (except Lander) played meaningful minutes. The top 10 guys’ minutes were even more meaningful. Could he strike out? Sure. Am I anointing him a ‘star’? Not necessarily, but I do believe his chances of being a major contributor on this team are pretty high. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Really I’m just going based on history. There’s a pretty good chance top 25 guys will contribute in their first year. Look at our history alone….

Player - ranking
Mgkabo - 7
——-
JHS - 21
Romeo - 7
Bryant - 22
JBJ - 23
Vonleh - 9
Yogi - 25
Zeller - 10

All those guys (except Lander) played meaningful minutes. The top 10 guys’ minutes were even more meaningful. Could he strike out? Sure. Am I anointing him a ‘star’? Not necessarily, but I do believe his chances of being a major contributor on this team are pretty high. 

Might be wrong but the only person who was a reclass on that list was Lander as well.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Player - ranking
Mgkabo - 7
——-
JHS - 21
Romeo - 7
Bryant - 22
JBJ - 23
Vonleh - 9
Yogi - 25
Zeller - 10

You need to throw in Gordon ( one and done) and DJ too as both were very high contributors and starters freshman year. DJ later became an All American. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

Those are great references. He’s projected as a mid-first rounder in the 2024 draft in one of those links. The point is, there’s not a congestion of minutes on our roster at the 3. He will get minutes. If he can’t get minutes on our roster, he won’t be able to get them on any roster….at least a roster that considers themselves competitive. 

Correct. 

As it stands now, you’re looking at a rotation of Banks/Gunn (most likely) to fill Kopp’s role. Kopp played 30 mpg last year. Gunn shot 8% from 3 and Banks averaged 5 mpg. Even if Mgabko doesn’t live up to his 5* ranking, he’s still going to play 20+ minutes by default, almost in his sleep. His skill set blows both Gunn and Banks out of the water and from a physicality standpoint, he’s ready to play now. 

Staff should be all-in on Mgabko selling him as the day 1 starter at the “3”. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think we have anything that a reasonable person would.l consider comparable to Filipowski in terms of minutes competition.

If that’s why you think it’s a long shot, then that’s a laughable position. We may not get him, no clue, but to say that our competition for minutes is in the same ballpark as that couldn’t be further from the truth at this particular moment in time. 

Mark Mitchell, another former 5*, is returning for his sophomore year and started 27 games. Mitchell is a 3/4 tweener. 

There is a legitimate number crunch a Duke. IU is looking to replace a 2 year starter in Kopp who averaged 30mpg last year with no viable contributions on the current roster. If MM is afraid to compete against Banks for playing time, probably don’t want him in the first place.

• Like 2

Going to be tough to land Mgbako, but if we do I'm trying to think of the last time IU had a top 20, let alone top 10, recruit that didn't come in and start and make an immediate impact? 

This kid will start and play big minutes from the jump if he comes to IU.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Going to be tough to land this Mgbako, but if we do I'm trying to think of the last time IU had a top 20, let alone top 10, recruit that didn't come in and start and make an immediate impact? 

This kid will start and play big minutes from the jump if he comes to IU.

I haven't read today's stuff. Are people saying if we got MM he wouldn't get big minutes right away? 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I haven't read today's stuff. Are people saying if we got MM he wouldn't get big minutes right away? 

Some talk that he'll have to "earn minutes" (whatever that actually means) and it's not a given he'll have an immediate impact. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Some talk that he'll have to "earn minutes" (whatever that actually means) and it's not a given he'll have an immediate impact. 

Ok! He'll be a starter the same way JHS was. I'd have to know the context of how the phrase earned was used but MM is a plug and play 25 minute guy right away. Same as JHS. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

No one has said any of this. All anyone has said is he would start over our current guys, and not because he is promised something but because he is better than any three we have on our roster.

You can ask every question that you know isn’t something we can answer with anything concrete right now, to try to prove some point, but it is beyond silly to think he would start and get Major minutes. While we may not have seen him in college, we did see CJ Gunn and Kaleb Banks enough to know that if there isn’t a MAJOR step forward from those two they don’t belong in the same conversation as this kid. That’s not a knock on them. 

My issue with all of it is we put expectations on players because they are 5 star high ranked players. We can’t forget Tamar Bates was a 5 star ranked player and number 21 player in the nation. I say we just let this play out and if he commits he needs to earn his minutes and his play dictates how many minutes he earns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

My issue with all of it is we put expectations on players because they are 5 star high ranked players. We can’t forget Tamar Bates was a 5 star ranked player and number 21 player in the nation. I say we just let this play out and if he commits he needs to earn his minutes and his play dictates how many minutes he earns.

Who is putting expectations or savior status on him?

Frankly, if Mgbako can’t take the pressure of us saying he should be an upgrade over two guys that produced as little as Banks and Gunn the kid is never going to play pro basketball.

We don’t need him to come in and be our best player (even though he might be), we need him to be an above average P5 starter on the wing. That really isn’t putting too high of expectations on a top ten recruit. 

• Like 1