Transfers with IU Interest

Did it ever occur that maybe we are not luring in certain players is because of the uncertainty of X's waiver and  (unproven in NCAA) incoming freshman pg in Cupps? I'm not knocking either one, because I think X gets the waiver and has a great year. I feel Cupps will surprise a lot of people and get plenty of minutes, but I just wonder if that uncertainty is a bit of a factor. I mean, if JHS decided to stay, we would already have our roster filled with our top choices from the portal....JMO

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

Did it ever occur that maybe we are not luring in certain players is because of the uncertainty of X's waiver and  (unproven in NCAA) incoming freshman pg in Cupps? I'm not knocking either one, because I think X gets the waiver and has a great year. I feel Cupps will surprise a lot of people and get plenty of minutes, but I just wonder if that uncertainty is a bit of a factor. I mean, if JHS decided to stay, we would already have our roster filled with our top choices from the portal....JMO

I do believe that the X situation is a real factor. Guys want to know who the PG is going to be and guys like Ledlum and Knecht who only have 1 year left don't want to have to rely on an unproven freshman running the point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....staff being told to stop talking by Coach Woodson is the best thing, period. It just leads to information being twisted, stretched whether it's good or bad. 

From the words of the great Led Zepplin song "Communication Breakdown".....

Communication breakdown, it's always the same
Havin' a nervous breakdown, a-drive me insane, yeah......😵

I'm convinced that Woodson has told people to stop talking. There isn't much info getting out and several people that typically get info have gone radio silent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....staff being told to stop talking by Coach Woodson is the best thing, period. It just leads to information being twisted, stretched whether it's good or bad. 

From the words of the great Led Zepplin song "Communication Breakdown".....

Communication breakdown, it's always the same
Havin' a nervous breakdown, a-drive me insane, yeah......😵

As a member of the IU staff, maybe Adam Howard should stop the cryptic tweets. 

And if players are leaking they should get their ass handed to them. Let recruits control their own narrative. If fans have to wait an extra 24 hours to hear some big news, then so be it. While it may not necessarily be steering recruits away, it’s just a crappy thing to do.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I do believe that the X situation is a real factor. Guys want to know who the PG is going to be and guys like Ledlum and Knecht who only have 1 year left don't want to have to rely on an unproven freshman running the point. 

I don't believe that is a factor. If that were a factor, Ware... who stands to benefit the most from XJ, wouldn't be coming here. 

• Like 4

Just now, tdhoosier said:

As a member of the IU staff, maybe Adam Howard should stop the cryptic tweets. 

And if players are leaking they should get their ass handed to them. Let recruits control their own narrative. If fans have to wait an extra 24 hours to hear some big news, then so be it. While it may not necessarily be steering recruits away, it’s just a crappy thing to do.

Maybe we should stop trying to read into Adam's tweets so much. 

• Like 4

Can't say if Woodson told others to keep their mouths shut or not. I do think Knecht, Ware, Ledlum, etc were guys we identified early as guys we wanted. Probably had back channels and knew they were portaling, so we scouted them and liked what we saw. 

We can all see the 1200+ basketball players in the portal, zero chance any staff has info on all 1200.... so I am hoping/assume it went on last week... our staff took some time to reevaluate the portal/scout who we like... and now we are on round 2 of targets in the portal. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't believe that is a factor. If that were a factor, Ware... who stands to benefit the most from XJ, wouldn't be coming here. 

Ware has more than 1 year left and IU was able to land him thanks to Coach Ya and his connections. Guys that only have 1 year and don't have the ball the majority of the time want to know who is going to be running the offense. I'm not saying it's the deciding factor but it is something they think about. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Ware has more than 1 year left and IU was able to land him thanks to Coach Ya and his connections. Guys that only have 1 year and don't have the ball the majority of the time want to know who is going to be running the offense. I'm not saying it's the deciding factor but it is something they think about. 

Of course. I know it is. I'm saying... XJ is 100% coming back and had nothing to do with Knecht and Ledlum. 

Ware still wants to know who his PG is, no difference there. Ware doesn't have the ball the majority of the time, either. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Of course. I know it is. I'm saying... XJ is 100% coming back and had nothing to do with Knecht and Ledlum. 

Ware still wants to know who his PG is, no difference there. Ware doesn't have the ball the majority of the time, either. 

I think XJ is coming back and so does the staff. That said until it is in writing it's not a guarantee and players that only have 1 year want a guarantee. Not an "I think" when it comes to the PG position and until it is in writing all the staff can sell to recruits is "I think".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I think XJ is coming back and so does the staff. That said until it is in writing it's not a guarantee and players that only have 1 year want a guarantee. Not an "I think" when it comes to the PG position and until it is in writing all the staff can sell to recruits is "I think".

How do you know the staff is only "I think"? I don't believe that at all. 

I think we all don't truly know, I think they do. If not, they are as stupid as some on this board try to make them out to be. 

I don' think XJ has anything to do with either of these recruitments. Hell... Tennessee PG has a torn ACL that happened in late Feb... he probably won't be full go until late Dec. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How do you know the staff is only "I think"? I don't believe that at all. 

I think we all don't truly know, I think they do. If not, they are as stupid as some on this board try to make them out to be. 

I don' think XJ has anything to do with either of these recruitments. Hell... Tennessee PG has a torn ACL that happened in late Feb... he probably won't be full go until late Dec. 

It's not official from the NCAA and the staff hasn't gotten anything official from the NCAA. Those are facts. 

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe we should stop trying to read into Adam's tweets so much. 

I’m definitely not, but I agree. It’s hard to avoid them when they keep finding their way into threads though. Either way, Adam knows what he’s doing - it’s attention seeking. I’m not mad about it; I just think it’s a bit unprofessional for a manager, but that’s just me. 

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It's not official from the NCAA and the staff hasn't gotten anything official from the NCAA. Those are facts. 

Ok. But that didn't answer my question. We have a compliance office/ppl who handle this kind of stuff, yeah? 

But regardless, I don't think that had anything to do with those recruitments. 

If I had zero ties to Indiana or Tennessee.... grew up in Colorado or New York, I think I would lean Tennessee as a destination to go to college, instead of Bloomington. Now... as far as what Woodson and staff can do for me, that might be a bigger draw... 

I don't think anyone wants to admit that maybe kids would just rather go to Tennessee to college than Indiana. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok. But that didn't answer my question. We have a compliance office/ppl who handle this kind of stuff, yeah? 

We have a compliance department but they can't ever be 100% sure on how the NCAA will see things.

The staff is likely confident in XJ's return but not fully knowing doesn't make them stupid.  The NCAA doesn't always make logical decisions or decisions that everyone agrees with.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

We have a compliance department but they can't ever be 100% sure on how the NCAA will see things.

The staff is likely confident in XJ's return but not fully knowing doesn't make them stupid.  The NCAA doesn't always make logical decisions or decisions that everyone agrees with.

But, it's not arbitrary. XJ qualifies. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

C...you know you and I think quite alike when it comes to IU basketball and football, plus your a good guy as well as a good teacher. However, how can the XJ wavier situation as well as an (unproven) but fully healed broken foot not be some factor? You and I both are constantly singing high praises for incoming freshman pg, Cupps, but he too is unproven in the NCAA. We all know these things as coaches and fans, but players looking to play at IU want to know who is the pg and how well he can perform in games, especially the BIGTEN. I have no doubt XJ is going to play this year and come in and be awesome, but I'm sure some of these players honestly have wondered about our current our pg situation.

29 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But regardless, I don't think that had anything to do with those recruitments. 

If I had zero ties to Indiana or Tennessee.... grew up in Colorado or New York, I think I would lean Tennessee as a destination to go to college, instead of Bloomington. Now... as far as what Woodson and staff can do for me, that might be a bigger draw... 

I don't think anyone wants to admit that maybe kids would just rather go to Tennessee to college than Indiana. 

And the fact these guys with only one year left want to make the biggest splash possible, so they’ll go to the school where they think that’s possible. Remember, the ultimate goal for all these guys is the NBA, not medical school. In Ware’s case, he may have wanted to be coached/developed, since he has three years left, so he chose IU and CMW.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

1 minute ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

And the fact these guys with only one year left want to make the biggest splash possible, so they’ll go to the school where they think that’s possible. Remember, the ultimate goal for all these guys is the NBA, not medical school. In Ware’s case, he may have wanted to be coached/developed, since he has three years left, so chose IU and CMW.

I don't think you can say XJs decision was a big deal for one player and not the other. Ware is the more reliant on XJ out of the 3. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

C...you know you and I think quite alike when it comes to IU basketball and football, plus your a good guy as well as a good teacher. However, how can the XJ wavier situation as well as an (unproven) but fully healed broken foot not be some factor? You and I both are constantly singing high praises for incoming freshman pg, Cupps, but he too is unproven in the NCAA. We all know these things as coaches and fans, but players looking to play at IU want to know who is the pg and how well he can perform in games, especially the BIGTEN. I have no doubt XJ is going to play this year and come in and be awesome, but I'm sure some of these players honestly have wondered about our current our pg situation.

No I don't think XJ had any factor in those decisions. 

If XJ was a factor at all... Ware wouldn't be coming here. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No I don't think XJ had any factor in those decisions. 

If XJ was a factor at all... Ware wouldn't be coming here. 

IMO, I think what helped Ware's decision was immediate playing time/big minutes and filling the position left by TJD, as well as Woodson's NBA advice and influence. 

Edited by Artesian_86