Transfers with IU Interest

2 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Nobody at Arkansas or UT cares about hoops. Back in the early to mid 2000s I used to travel to and through Knoxville for work and made several acquaintances with UT people. Women’s hoops was the only basketball those people cared about and they still had Philip Fulmer as their football coach.

Same thing with Arkansas. I vacation down in the Ozarks for a few weeks every August and it is heavy Arkansas land down there in several areas. Fans at both those schools would flat tell you they’d shut down their basketball programs if it meant having an elite football team every year. 

Fans at both schools respect having good basketball teams, especially when their football teams struggle (UT may have found something w Heupel), but at the end of the day the basketball support at those schools doesn’t hold a candle to the support at a place like IU. You’ll never see a UT or Ark basketball player get an NIL deal like TJD. Hell out 13th scholarship player Anthony Leal is making more than many of their starters. 

At the end of the day, recruiting comes down to selling a vision. I believe both Musselman and Barnes are getting it done over our current staff and the results certainly don’t lie. You can use facilities, style of play, scenery, etc as excuses all you want, but at the end of the day it simply comes down to selling a vision.

Walmart money doesn’t hurt Arkansas’ recruiting…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think this is definitely a case where IU backed away.  After Ware and Sparks committed, absolutely not a needed piece.

For sure, believe they did too.

More trying to point out that these guys all show you what they are going to do. Social media convo. All again. While not wanting to debate it and derail the thread. 

1 hour ago, Initial79 said:

Then why we loose Knecht too? JHS projected lottery wasn't enough? 
I agree with another post that the AC podcast is a weak theory.

to those mad, these kids are spoiled, etc. you have that right. (Even if I would say it is the bloated coach salaries and growing endowments that are the true BS in this situation) Where I get frustrated is seeing people say “we are the best, we have the best facilities, are NIL is top notch, etc.” when it is not true. Those same fans typically then blame the staff because “how can they not sell IU, it is easy” - uh, no. 

Tenn. also has the top NIL and their state laws make it even easier to push that envelope. This came down to NIL and overall athlete perks. My opinion and obviously many disagree but trying to share facts to back up my point. 

for those that say they don’t want guys like that. Then be patient that the staff can and will find the guys that have different reasons and needs to be here. Ware is one such guy. He saw the glamour of Oregon. It sucked for him. For him, Woody is what he wanted and needed. There are more guys like that but know we have to find them and be patient as we strike out on a few that want different things we can’t offer. 

The way I view portal targets is that if they are seriously interested, they'll visit campus. Knecht never visited IU, so it seems like he never really seriously considered IU. I guess we lost in the sense he didn't come to IU, but it never really got to the point where the staff was going all in on him. Don't know why he didn't have more interest, but it is what it is.

The way I see the transfer portal so far is that IU put the full court press on 3 players and got 2 and missed 1. Can't win em all.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

It certainly didn’t help Arkansas recruiting in the 25 years between Nolan Richardson and Eric Musselman. Bud Walton arena was a ghost town when we played there a few years back.

Uh, NIL wasn’t around back then….

The numbers kids care about aren’t the attendance numbers.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

Nobody at Arkansas or UT cares about hoops. Back in the early to mid 2000s I used to travel to and through Knoxville for work and made several acquaintances with UT people. Women’s hoops was the only basketball those people cared about and they still had Philip Fulmer as their football coach.

Same thing with Arkansas. I vacation down in the Ozarks for a few weeks every August and it is heavy Arkansas land down there in several areas. Fans at both those schools would flat tell you they’d shut down their basketball programs if it meant having an elite football team every year. 

Fans at both schools respect having good basketball teams, especially when their football teams struggle (UT may have found something w Heupel), but at the end of the day the basketball support at those schools doesn’t hold a candle to the support at a place like IU. You’ll never see a UT or Ark basketball player get an NIL deal like TJD. Hell out 13th scholarship player Anthony Leal is making more than many of their starters. 

At the end of the day, recruiting comes down to selling a vision. I believe both Musselman and Barnes are getting it done over our current staff and the results certainly don’t lie. You can use facilities, style of play, scenery, etc as excuses all you want, but at the end of the day it simply comes down to selling a vision.

You are wrong on their NIL support and they do give deals like that for basketball because they have crap tons of it. Plenty for football and basketball. NIL changed things for these schools.

Basketball at those schools get lots of support too. Their avg attendance is higher than IU. Is it the same as IU support, no but do they care if they are winning, great play style, NIL, elite athletic perks, etc. no.

you just believe too much in the lore of IU and that it carries weight with recruits. 

yes, coaches have to sell a vision but you can only work with what you have.  You can’t convince someone to eat something they don’t like no matter how hard you try. And why would you want to convince them? You have to find the ones that like what you are offering. FYI.. been in luxury sales for 30 years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

Their avg attendance is higher than IU.

*when their teams are good

That’s my point. SEC programs will turn out when their teams are good (see Arkansas, Alabama) but overall the support doesn’t match the support at a school like Indiana. Arkansas was lucky to have 8-9k fans a game during the Heath and Pelphrey years. You really don’t know what you’re talking about and it shows.

• Like 1

I sent a daughter to Alabama during the Avery Johnson years. I drove her back to Tuscaloosa after Christmas break and took her to a basketball game as I was staying the night. I started to count the number of fans in attendance but had to stop as a basketball game broke out with Jacksonville State (Bama won in OT). If you would have told me there was 2500 people there I would have said count the tickets.

Fans of these football schools DO NOT CARE when their teams are bad.

EDIT——missed where a new thread for this topic was started. Will move my discussion there. Sorry mods.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IndyResident16 said:

Facilities aren’t the issue. I’ve been to Cameron Indoor several times, and it’s nothing more than a glorified HS gym. If facilities were the issue, then Duke wouldn’t be able to field a team. I agree, you have to sell the program.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, IndyResident16 said:

*when their teams are good

That’s my point. SEC programs will turn out when their teams are good (see Arkansas, Alabama) but overall the support doesn’t match the support at a school like Indiana. Arkansas was lucky to have 8-9k fans a game during the Heath and Pelphrey years. You really don’t know what you’re talking about and it shows.

I don’t think kids know who Heath and Pelphrey are, nor do they care. 

Edited by Boiler Sam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Facilities aren’t the issue. I’ve been to Cameron Indoor several times, and it’s nothing more than a glorified HS gym. If facilities were the issue, then Duke wouldn’t be able to field a team. I agree, you have to sell the program.

This is not about that. Addressed this maybe 20 times. Go to that thread and read further. 

21 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

2 small things I heard and read today. Since news is slow

IU pushing more on Devo Davis to enter portal? Came up before on here I believe and pushed again today 🤷‍♂️

IU only wants to fill 2 of the 3 and bank 3rd. 

Asked the same on the other board. Why would he come to IU, like what's the connection? And who is saying this? I love rumors but this one seems pretty odd because of where he's from etc. 

38 minutes ago, Initial79 said:

2 small things I heard and read today. Since news is slow

IU pushing more on Devo Davis to enter portal? Came up before on here I believe and pushed again today 🤷‍♂️

IU only wants to fill 2 of the 3 and bank 3rd. 

Saw his photo floating around on twitter earlier. Was curious if the NBA isn't the option yet....did something happen where he isn't wanted back at Arkansas? Would absolutely take him just curious. Seems weird.

21 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Asked the same on the other board. Why would he come to IU, like what's the connection? And who is saying this? I love rumors but this one seems pretty odd because of where he's from etc. 

Hulls doesn’t follow many portal players at all and is following him.  He also seems to be looking at Jacob Groves Oklahoma.

why would it make sense - me guessing - maybe he and Ware were close growing up? Feels he needs a little of the Woody/JHS magic? 

read this too - https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/arkansas-basketball-unvarnished-thruth-davonte-davis/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw his photo floating around on twitter earlier. Was curious if the NBA isn't the option yet....did something happen where he isn't wanted back at Arkansas? Would absolutely take him just curious. Seems weird.

I think the problem with him going back to Arkansas is that they have brought in 4 guard and wing players.  I also wouldn't mind us doing the same thing with Mitchell at UT. The coach he committed to isn't there any longer and he was teammates with Reneau and JHS

• Like 2