Transfers with IU Interest

11 hours ago, Initial79 said:

I think some which like it how it was need to understand that system sucked too. Don’t glorify it because it benefited you and what you wanted sports to be.

Also remember, doing those times years ago, it made sense. The schools were not making millions and a scholarship was great. This is the part the DDs of the world can’t get wrapped around. 

I say again, nobody can tell me how it was fair the schools pocketed all this money. It was not some noble thing to get a scholarship when they earned millions for the school and coaches.  They had a chance to fix it, fought it and this is why it is the way it is now. 

now… women's soccer, baseball, softball or something like that, sure, the scholarship is a nice offset.  But even then, the old rules on lunches etc were just not good.

it will work itself out faster than many think. Or it ends up like pro baseball which many still like but lots hate as only a few teams can win. 

I do hate the “go fund me” and think that is just wrong. True NIL is not here due to the schools.  But again, the schools don’t want to truly pay them or they become employees. 

Schools still rake in the money.  That side of the coin hasn't changed.  They just want their fans to pay the players.  

It would be like a business saying their employees should be funded completely by tips and then pocketing all the profits from the price of their product.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Indykev said:

Free market, they already lost in court and got this whole mess started.

NBA and NFL have salary caps..  That's not illegal.

To people responding that NIL is outside the school's control.   Yes, technically but only because they're just directing players to the people that will set them up with cash that they collected in donations/gofundme accounts.  It's getting around things by paying them in a roundabout way.  These people making donations aren't paying the players for the Name, Image or Likeness.  They're paying the players so that they'll play on the team that they support. 

At this point, just give up the paying the players via donations that have nothing to do with NIL and pay directly subjected to salary caps.  Hell, if they want to be treated like professionals, there should be a draft like one.

Edited by iuswingman
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Being a Notre Dame football fan I have some contacts with Notre Dame and I asked for a scouting report on Ryan. He said the following: Good Defender, team leader, streaky shooter. I personally think our coaching staff is better than Notre Dame’s and a summer with Jordy will get his streaky shooting a little more consistent. I think he’s a better version of Miller Kopp.

Pshh.. watch the film... he for sure is. I also think he played on the ball a little more than he would here. 

Did he have a knee injury early in his career? 

Edit-- also the bold. 🤢

Edited by btownqb

12 hours ago, Crimson324 said:

To me that story just showcases how silly the old rules were. 

Bottom line: This benefits the athletes. They work their a$$es off so that students and alumni can be entertained watching them represent the university. Why shouldn’t they be able to make a little money doing that? 

I respect your opinion, and it’s probably a generational thing, but I prefer the traditional system based on the student/athlete model. With the introduction of the transfer portal and NIL, it just seems college athletes are turning into free agents, and the sport is becoming a business, with little emphasis on education and commitment to a particular school. In my son’s case, he was a can’t miss prospect, but because of injuries he didn’t make it to the next level, so we’re very grateful for his continued education that was in part made possible by his scholarship.

We just look at it differently, and that’s OK.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

They also have contacts with the players associations to do it. Will never happen in college sports. ITS Name, image and likeness, its not a salary. Has nothing to do with the schools.

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm gunna be real with ya Bob, I don't think we are adding more than 1 guy 1-3. Could be wrong, though. 

To me... it's Ellis or Cormac or Cleveland. Realistically that's how I see it. Now.. add a (fingers crossed) Ledlum to one of those, I really like that. 

Edit--- I don't think we will take 2 wings. MAYBE Ellis and a wing. Goodness that would be a portal haul-- Ellis, Ware, Sparks, and a wing that we like. 

You may be correct.  If the one additional guy doesn't bring reliable shooting ability, I'll be borderline PO'd.  Hoping that a returning player miraculously becomes that sharpshooter over the off season does not bring me much joy (or confidence).

Just now, Zuckerkorn said:

You may be correct.  If the one additional guy doesn't bring reliable shooting ability, I'll be borderline PO'd.  Hoping that a returning player miraculously becomes that sharpshooter over the off season does not bring me much joy (or confidence).

Not really interested in a guy that can only shoot, though. 

We were a Top 50 3pt shooting team this past year. I want guys that can create for themselves, for others, but also shoot the 3 ball. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Gang,

Let's get the NIL discussion over to the dedicated thread for that topic.

https://www.hoosiersportsnation.com/topic/11375-iu-nil/

It's a good discussion, but let's leave this thread to actual transfer comings and goings.

I didn’t see your post before I responded, so my apologies. It’s just been slow since Ware’s commitment, so I guess I got a little sidetracked.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Pshh.. watch the film... he for sure is. I also think he played on the ball a little more than he would here. 

Did he have a knee injury early in his career? 

Edit-- also the bold. 🤢

So my dads family is 20 minutes from Bloomington but when my dad was like 8-9 my grandpa moved the family to Brazil Indiana so he could open up a KFC and my dad was starting to play football and become good at it so he watched it a lot and up there it was nothing but Notre Dake football so because of him I am Indiana Basketball Notre Dame football but my heart is all in on Indiana basketball. I’m not even on any Notre Dame football boards

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

You definitely have to compartmentalize the issues of NIL and the school directly paying the athletes...

Separate issues... And for those that don't want the federal government involved in either, you only have to look at the short history of NIL to see how it will play out if the feds don't get involved...

Individual states like California will drive the process, and if other states don't keep pace, it'll be the most uneven playing field you've ever seen... 

It is just going to blow up college athletics at the end of the day.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

So my dads family is 20 minutes from Bloomington but when my dad was like 8-9 my grandpa moved the family to Brazil Indiana so he could open up a KFC and my dad was starting to play football and become good at it so he watched it a lot and up there it was nothing but Notre Dake football so because of him I am Indiana Basketball Notre Dame football but my heart is all in on Indiana basketball. I’m not even on any Notre Dame football boards

Did you get to watch Cormac any this season.? 

I watched some film yesterday. I liked his film more than Ellis. 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

This is a 1099 thing. You can’t cap what you have nothing to do with. They can get as many outside contracts as they want. The University or NCAA can’t control how much an individual makes. That’s the ruling. NFL and NBA is a collective bargaining unit. NIL is not. 

edit: didn’t see the posts after. Sorry. 

Edited by Victobmyboy
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Same.  Could always count on ND being on TV on Saturday afternoon, growing up as a young kid (and obviously now).  Dad was an ND football fan because that's all he could watch as a kid and that's how I was brought up.  Indiana basketball, however, I live and die by.  I'm also an alum, so trying to explain how I like ND football (and IU too) and IU basketball to my wife has been, well, difficult. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

7 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Same.  Could always count on ND being on TV on Saturday afternoon, growing up as a young kid (and obviously now).  Dad was an ND football fan because that's all he could watch as a kid and that's how I was brought up.  Indiana basketball, however, I live and die by.  I'm also an alum, so trying to explain how I like ND football (and IU too) and IU basketball to my wife has been, well, difficult. 

Guilty....

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....was never a ND fan, but along the same lines,.....I loved everything on channel 4, starting with The Bob Knight Show, Janie and Friends, Cowboy Bob, Sammy Terry, and even wrestling with Dick the Bruiser! Now that really shows my age! lol

I caught the tail end of the channel 4 era.  Still have the lingering visions of luke recker (meh), michael lewis, a.j. guyton, and andre patterson.  I also still have the channel 4 visions of a 1/6 full memorial stadium and IU being down 40 to any and all big ten team.  It was the best of times and the worst of times. 

Now, someone tell woody to get on the phone with matthew cleveland!

• Like 1