The non-IU National Tournament thread…

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I know your joking, but I'm going high tops. I wore low tops once in high school and the ensuing injury changed the trajectory of my college recruitment. 

Yeah, my personal experience was I was way more likely to turn a random ankle in low tops, and then also the severity of said turn seemed less with high tops.  My ankles have been blown so many times now they it hurts but I don't even swell up anymore.  I can walk on my ankles now, gotta keep those dudes flexible at 41.  

Sucks though on a trajectory stand point, but you are a blessed man.  A family man.  And a success in my mind.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Creighton was 24 spots higher in NET than NW. Similar disparity in other performance metrics. 

Basically, people, including the committee use whichever metric aligns with the narrative they support.  

I call BS to ranking/seeding/selecting Team A based on Quad 1 wins, but ignoring that same metric when evaluating Team B.  And, that is what is happening.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Basically, people, including the committee use whichever metric aligns with the narrative they support.  

I call BS to ranking/seeding/selecting Team A based on Quad 1 wins, but ignoring that same metric when evaluating Team B.  And, that is what is happening.

No.

In your first example of Memphis/Xavier you picked 2 teams essentially equal in NET/metrics but with a large difference in resumes, i.e. Q1 wins. And they ended up far apart on the seed line (3 and 8).

So then you found 2 teams very far apart in the metrics and also with the same (opposite) difference in resumes and guess what? They were very close in seed lines (6 vs 7).

Go examine the bracket matrix and you'll see that these 4 teams ended up exactly where 100s of projections predicted they would. Are all those bracket prognosticators also falling victim to this conference bias? Seems unlikely IMO.

But based on my experience arguing this topic, I doubt you'll be convinced. Same with the conspiracies about the committee "creating story lines" with seeds. 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

guards win

Think it pretty well changed around 2000. They’ve always been important but up until the 80s it was about bigs…then it was about having more balanced teams and around them, then it seemed like in the 2000s it just became about guards..Cleeves and Bell, Bibby/Simon, Blake/Dixon, Connecticut had a couple championship runs from guard play, just almost every team had a great backcourt it seemed. Don’t get me wrong there was some complete teams in there but rarely one led by their bigs. Just almost every year teams with great guard play or hot shooting guards make the runs now. Elite guards are what you need to go deep for sure.

10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Think it pretty well changed around 2000. They’ve always been important but up until the 80s it was about bigs…then it was about having more balanced teams and around them, then it seemed like in the 2000s it just became about guards..Cleeves and Bell, Bibby/Simon, Blake/Dixon, Connecticut had a couple championship runs from guard play, just almost every team had a great backcourt it seemed. Don’t get me wrong there was some complete teams in there but rarely one led by their bigs. Just almost every year teams with great guard play or hot shooting guards make the runs now. Elite guards are what you need to go deep for sure.

Because the truly elite bigs never stay more than 1 year.  TJD would not have probably been here this year if not for a timely COVID diagnosis.  And the only reason he was here is because he was a second tier big who had holes in his game.

Guards are more plentiful, the 3 ball can be an equalizer, and good guards are likely to be in school longer.  Also, outside of elite bigs, they are usually ready to go more quickly when they hit campus.

Edited by IUCrazy2

Anyone catch Saban presser yesterday? Announced the suspension of 5 star player following arrest. Basically threw the entire Bama basketball program under the bus. Backed up and ran them over again. Said there is no such thing as wrong place wrong time.

SEC man. Have to love it. Cal takes a swipe at own football program now Saban taking a swipe at basketball.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wow, Kansas St doesn't have a single player that originally started their career there. 

Pretty impressive to say the least. Not how they came together...another thread another day...but for a team to develop over the course of a season that hadn't met each other until 8 months ago?? 

Cal could take some lessons since he does that every single year.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 6:50 AM, IUCrazy2 said:

Because the truly elite bigs never stay more than 1 year.  TJD would not have probably been here this year if not for a timely COVID diagnosis.  And the only reason he was here is because he was a second tier big who had holes in his game.

Guards are more plentiful, the 3 ball can be an equalizer, and good guards are likely to be in school longer.  Also, outside of elite bigs, they are usually ready to go more quickly when they hit campus.

That might be part of it but certainly the 3pt shot and ability to spread the floor and draw bigs away from the basket is a great equalizer. Also there are just more bigs now than ever to throw at another elite big…just more ways to neutralize them. An elite guard…you can’t take the ball out of their hands like you can game plan to do a big…and yes they have gotten better and better and more of them will no doubt stick 4 years unlike the best bigs or wings who go pro on potential alone.