Transfer Portal 2023

Danomatic

24 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

A guard that shoots 30% from 3 and 60% free throws in a lower end conference?

Not sure I follow ya here. 🤔 

He's 6'5/6'6 can play on the ball. Shooting percentages aren't universal. You would also think he would have some switchability on defense. 

I also think we will need another ball handler NEXT season to cushion Cupps from having to do it all. And Cupps CAN shoot/spot up. This kid also rebounds well= getting out on the fast break quicker=easier shots for everyone

I can't tell whether or not we should recruit this kid... but I'd watch the film before I just look at the #s and say no. 

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He's 6'5/6'6 can play on the ball. Shooting percentages aren't universal. You would also think he would have some switchability on defense. 

I also think we will need another ball handler NEXT season to cushion Cupps from having to do it all. And Cupps CAN shoot/spot up. This kid also rebounds well= getting out on the fast break quicker=easier shots for everyone

I can't tell whether or not we should recruit this kid... but I'd watch the film before I just look at the #s and say no. 

Oh, I agree. And "fit"plays a big part in how any transition would go.

I am not saying no, I am saying I don't see what makes him stand out more than about 50 other guards in the portal with seemingly similar skill sets.

More curious why @ButlerHoosier singled out this target, in particular.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh, I agree. And "fit"plays a big part in how any transition would go.

I am not saying no, I am saying I don't see what makes him stand out more than about 50 other guards in the portal with seemingly similar skill sets.

More curious why @ButlerHoosier singled out this target, in particular.

Just cause I have watched a little bit of his film and it seems Gonzaga is looking at him. They are normally really good on guard play. Plus a 6'5 pg will help on defense. Plus I don't know if X is getting an extension by all signs it seems he would but it would help alleviate ball handling duties on Cupps. He's from Australi and worth at least a flyer on. Gonzaga has had some pretty good luck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

His brother Nic recently joined WI-GB as an assistant. Speculation Noah may go there. 
Noah missed the last part of the season after 2 concussions. I could see the family liking the idea of his brother being there to watch him. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Daimion Collins leaving Kentucky...6'9 soph...Not sure he's what we're looking for, but he was #12 in the RSCI rankings coming out of high school...

Another Calipari success story :) 

The adage that going to UK to play for Calipari is the quickest way to NBA millions. It really seems that it's boom or bust; swing for the fences down there. When it doesn't work out, it's very much "onto the next."

**generally speaking** If players don't go to the NBA after their first year, the lack of player development within the program is exposed, and the players aren't truly getting better. And so they realize how expendable they are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

The adage that going to UK to play for Calipari is the quickest way to NBA millions. It really seems that it's boom or bust; swing for the fences down there. When it doesn't work out, it's very much "onto the next."

**generally speaking** If players don't go to the NBA after their first year, the lack of player development within the program is exposed, and the players aren't truly getting better. And so they realize how expendable they are.

Yeah, Calipari developing players is a myth.  Love seeing him get exposed, but I'd like to just shake the kids in his incoming class.  They are still falling for his used car salesman pitch.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2023 at 2:29 PM, ButlerHoosier said:

Just cause I have watched a little bit of his film and it seems Gonzaga is looking at him. They are normally really good on guard play. Plus a 6'5 pg will help on defense. Plus I don't know if X is getting an extension by all signs it seems he would but it would help alleviate ball handling duties on Cupps. He's from Australi and worth at least a flyer on. Gonzaga has had some pretty good luck. 

Sorry, I missed your response  But that all makes sense. Thanks for the insight  👍 

• Like 1

Michigan loses another...Gregg Glenn, 6'7 forward who was #77 in Rivals 22 rankings enters the portal...

Michigan has brought in 4 transfers...

Kinda one of the things I've been concerned about...You start bringing in a lot of transfers, and you're younger players get buried on the depth chart, and chose instead to enter the portal...

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Michigan loses another...Gregg Glenn, 6'7 forward who was #77 in Rivals 22 rankings enters the portal...

Michigan has brought in 4 transfers...

Kinda one of the things I've been concerned about...You start bringing in a lot of transfers, and you're younger players get buried on the depth chart, and chose instead to enter the portal...

For those who like to know or follow up on players. Ant Wright (we discussed in other thread) was posting this on Twitter and someone asked him about Matthew Cleveland and Michigan. Ant who played there would obviously know just replied he just wanted a bag. 

Whether I agree or not these older elite portal guys...this is potentially there one time chance to really get some life changing money. Thought those on here would like to know. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

For those who like to know or follow up on players. Ant Wright (we discussed in other thread) was posting this on Twitter and someone asked him about Matthew Cleveland and Michigan. Ant who played there would obviously know just replied he just wanted a bag. 

Whether I agree or not these older elite portal guys...this is potentially there one time chance to really get some life changing money. Thought those on here would like to know. 

I just wonder how long this NIL and portal can last the way it is ran now. You think the money would dry up eventually especially if you don't see any returns on your investment. How long will the boosters want to at for a player for one year and see that player go to the portal the next year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just wonder how long this NIL and portal can last the way it is ran now. You think the money would dry up eventually especially if you don't see any returns on your investment. How long will the boosters want to at for a player for one year and see that player go to the portal the next year.

I know 2 people who have done things with TJD, Tamar, JHS, Trey,etc....and given their respective businesses it's a cost of doing business thing moving forward for them. To clarify it works both ways though.

For example let's just say there is a restaurant or chain of restaurants in Bloomington or Indy or Carmel who have done pretty well. It would be a very foolish business marketing strategy not to get the word out they are pro IU and pro IU NIL. 

This isn't on the level of Cook or Skodt or Irsay,etc...or even Cuban. But there are dozens of business owners out there in all areas (Banking/Finance, Legal, Healthcare, Restaurant/Hospitality) that want it to be known they are pro IU or IU friendly so to answer your question this isn't ever going away.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know 2 people who have done things with TJD, Tamar, JHS, Trey,etc....and given their respective businesses it's a cost of doing business thing moving forward for them. To clarify it works both ways though.

For example let's just say there is a restaurant or chain of restaurants in Bloomington or Indy or Carmel who have done pretty well. It would be a very foolish business marketing strategy not to get the word out they are pro IU and pro IU NIL. 

This isn't on the level of Cook or Skodt or Irsay,etc...or even Cuban. But there are dozens of business owners out there in all areas (Banking/Finance, Legal, Healthcare, Restaurant/Hospitality) that want it to be known they are pro IU or IU friendly so to answer your question this isn't ever going away.

I was thinking more in the line of the collectives where it is bigger money over a local advertisement 

• Like 1