Iowa Post game

ButlerHoosier

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

I know some of you have posted that you don't feel X will return. I, for one, feel he will. I wouldn't be surprised is he dresses and gets a few minutes vs. Michigan. If not, then he could have an opportunity in the BTT or later on in the NCAA tourney, which begins March 17th and 18th. There really is no need to rush him, especially the type of energy and physicality he brings that could be forced on his repaired foot. He plays 100 miles an hour and I'm sure he and the doctor's will now when the right time is to bring him back out. I'm praying for X to return fully healed and ready to contribute! Go IU!

He will have to get clearance from the NC2A for that to happen. XJ is 9 minutes over for red shirt....

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I said in the pre game that Perkins and Sandfort had been coming on of late, and boy did they come on against us...

I really like Perkins...Tough minded kid who battles on both ends...Might not have the prettiest game, but he's damned effective...

We need kids like him...

Just like Peedoo, they also have some tough nosed kids. This is what CMW needs to go after, IMO

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

Who needs pride when they’ve got NIL money clogging up their pockets, right? Sure makes you wonder if that has a small hand in how they play. Win or lose they’re still getting paid, and paid way more than a lot of career people out there working their butts off. I kinda think it’d be a good idea if within certain NIL contracts that are given, there are side notes that state that they get percentages taken away with a loss, or something like that. I could almost guarantee you’d see more fight in games if playing like crap and no effort meant less money in their piggy banks. 
I don’t have a problem with players getting paid, but it kinda makes you wonder if it makes them ok with being lazy occasionally…especially being the age they are. 

So when any teams loses it is because they are making NIL money 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So when any teams loses it is because they are making NIL money 

No not at all, I hoped to not come across that way. Just saying that when we see effort issues and lack of pride it just makes me wonder if the fact that are getting paid anyways has anything to do with it. 

2 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

No not at all, I hoped to not come across that way. Just saying that when we see effort issues and lack of pride it just makes me wonder if the fact that are getting paid anyways has anything to do with it. 

....hence certain NBA and NFL players.... Similarities, correct?

11 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I saw that and was thinking what is so funny? You are literally getting smoked at home by 20 points. 20 points! The season isn't over yet. It then panned to JHS and he looked distraught! It seemed like he understood the gravity of the game. 

We have seen Race and Trayce laughing during a few loses over the years.  Never understood that.  I'm not even on the team and I'm bent out of shape for days after a loss.  Growing up I would barely speak to people until we got revenge in the next game.  

We need that "after a 3 game losing streak, players only meeting" type of leadership or We only have 3-4 games max and these dudes are done.  Take your NIL money and off to the real world you go.  

Here's to hoping when they walk into film session this morning, Coach Woodson has a still shot of those 2 on the big screen laughing and rips them a new one and challenges that a**.  

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

We know...It's just that @IU Scottis such a big NIL guy...

😮 

• Haha 1

Stupid question maybe.  But we have been getting out rebounded a lot over the last what 6-8 games.  Does that corollate with when Race came back to the starting line-up?  Did we lose the Malik/JG rebounding for the defense of Race in the line-up.  

I say this knowing Race hasn't been 100 percent and don't look like he can jump very well. getting better but i still think he is like 85% vs 100.

Thoughts?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the thing that ticks me off most is I thought we cleared these sorts of hurdles. We've accomplished so many hurdles this year down multiple guys but I thought getting that road win Saturday was the last of the hurdles to clear and we could come home and relax.

Apparently our kids felt the same way on relaxing. I think it was 12-2 and you could see everyone on the floor was just off. Missed bunnies, less than crisp passes....what 3-4 turnovers in first couple minutes.

No clue what our seeding will look like for BTT. Are we in the needing Illinois to win camp tomorrow night as well as Ohio St tonight??

I think you hit the nail on the head on the team relaxing. It's a bummer, but after sleeping on it, I don't think we need to make last night some big indictment on the team. They relaxed against a hungry team and get humbled. The thing that matters is how they respond over the coming weeks.

In terms of Illinois... we want them to win to get into the top 30 in the NET, then the home game against them becomes Quad 1. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's the raw date...16-4 when we win the board battle (7-4 in Big 10 play) and 4-6 (4-4 in the Big 10) when we lose it...2-2 in the last 4 when getting beat on the boards

image.png.29815ae7da9501de5a7d5ce1c5a963fb.png

Interesting that in February there was only one game we won the rebounding battle and won the game.

February is a pretty weird month to unpack looking back on it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

you should have helped yourself. thats &@&$ who ever made that.

Is it? It’s called humor based on the performance. Getting run out of your own gym similar to the 92-72 thumping IPFW gave the team in AH.

These guys are not above criticism. None of them. They all make grown a@@ man money to do what they do.

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Here's the raw date...16-4 when we win the board battle (7-4 in Big 10 play) and 4-6 (4-4 in the Big 10) when we lose it...2-2 in the last 4 when getting beat on the boards

image.png.29815ae7da9501de5a7d5ce1c5a963fb.png

There's a couple interesting things left out of the total rebound statistic.

Indiana because of their high shooting percentage will generally have less total rebounds than a team with a lower shooting percentage.

Teams know our defense is built to minimize fast breaks and our offense is based on making 2 point shots at high rate. Teams are getting defensive boards at will because our guards will get back on to defense to prevent fast breaks. 

Additionally, Indiana does not create a lot of fast break points off of missed shots. There is very little reason for an offense to not attack the offensive glass because Indiana isn't going to advance the ball forward making teams pay for crashing the offensive glass. 

I feel like those things add up to our lack of rebounding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUrocker said:

Well it could be but that is happening all over the country. Most teams have had some bad games and stretches throughout the year

We as a fan base just don't handle the ebs and flows of the season.  We are super high after the Purdue game and winning 10-14. We are all super excited and thinking of a 3 seed and making a long run.  Now after a pathetic performance we think we are in a free fall and won't win another game.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

There's a couple interesting things left out of the total rebound statistic.

Indiana because of their high shooting percentage will generally have less total rebounds than a team with a lower shooting percentage.

Teams know our defense is built to minimize fast breaks and our offense is based on making 2 point shots at high rate. Teams are getting defensive boards at will because our guards will get back on to defense to prevent fast breaks. 

Additionally, Indiana does not create a lot of fast break points off of missed shots. There is very little reason for an offense to not attack the offensive glass because Indiana isn't going to advance the ball forward making teams pay for crashing the offensive glass. 

I feel like those things add up to our lack of rebounding.

I disagree with your conclusion on rebounding. It's easier to get defensive rebounds, so if we are missing less shots than our opponent we should be getting more rebounds. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We as a fan base just don't handle the ebs and flows of the season.  We are super high after the Purdue game and winning 10-14. We are all super excited and thinking of a 3 seed and making a long run.  Now after a pathetic performance we think we are in a free fall and won't win another game.

You are correct there Scott. Well said. I might add that you also described all fan bases.

As I’m sure is being emphasized in preparation for Michigan, there is no excuse to be as talented as they are and have even shown and to then come out and lay a massive egg in front of your home crowd. That’s the massive mystery we all can’t figure out.

My own opinion is that we (IU) have too many roll players which is why there are games that IU dominant when Trace and Jalen get theirs and when games are closely decided when those two are having an off night. Last night though, to me, was like everyone thought we had a 20 point lead to start the game. Sleepwalking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree with your conclusion on rebounding. It's easier to get defensive rebounds, so if we are missing less shots than our opponent we should be getting more rebounds. 

I agree it should be easier to get defensive boards but so far in 29 game season only 2 players have gotten more than 100 defensive boards. TJD at 216 and JHS at 101. 6'7" Miller Kopp has the 2nd most played minutes this year and only has 62 defensive boards, Galloway with 4th most minutes has 62 and Tamar with the 5th most minutes played has 40. 

TJD has 27% of the defensive board totals and to be fair I think grinding constantly on the defensive end for boards and the offensive end for 1 shot offensive sets has broken his effectiveness on the glass. 

With that said teams know they won't be punished crashing the offensive glass because if TJD gets the ball he won't lead out a fast break and neither will Bates, Kopp, JHS, Galloway and or Race.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not me. I don't want to look too far ahead but a bit concerned about next season.

With good reason.

- We're losing our entire preseason starting 5.

- Outside of Galloway, our non-freshman returning players are doing nothing ... remember late last year and before the season started this year, when we were talking about Geronimo taking minutes from Race, or finding a way to get him more time? I've honestly forgotten about him, because I rarely see him unless he's standing on the sidelines. Bates has been pretty terrible since mid January. Leal rarely gets on the court. Duncomb? And so forth.

- Our best returning ball handler is ... Trey Galloway. Now, I think Trey is a terrific player, but I don't think that's an ideal situation.

- I'm not all that familiar with recruiting overall, and completely understand that rankings aren't everything, but I'm not seeing a whole lot of IU commits on that top 100 list.

- Odds are we're going to lose at least 1 of those returning guys to the portal. 

- Woody's going to have to hit the portal hard, and we're going to have a group of guys who have never stepped on the court with each other, and all the trials and tribulations that come along with that.

In short, buckle up, because it could get bumpy very, very soon.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Some of you think the season is a bust....Kids had a let down after a huge win just a couple of days before. They have 22 wins!! yes 2 loses to each of  NW and Iowa sucks but sometimes teams just have your number at a certain point. Are they better than we are???? Their records say we are even. The Murray kid goes off every time we play them. Last week I watched him shoot 3 airballs in a row from 3. Last night he looked like Reggie Miller, once again against us. He is a bad match up for us. Race today has no shot of guarding him.

Is this a great team? Its a very good team. Can it make a deep run in the NCAAT? yes it can, this team plays different when it means something to them it seems. NONE of us thought we would win at Purdue. WE you trade that for the Iowa win at home. Great IU teams have done this in the past, not sure why we are beating this team up so bad today. Go watch the 87' team on youtube.

This is a good post and I completely agree. Reason I selected the bold part is because I guess I’m just trying to search for the answer as to why they can’t act as though EVERY game means something. Maybe I’m just the old school “give it your all and appreciate what you’re given” type of guy and need to realize it’s just not how it happens anymore nowadays ha.

I know some have said it could be because we haven’t completely weeded out the “Archie leftovers”, so I don’t know if it’s that and a matter of needing more guys who truly know what it takes to win and refuse to lose, or what. I’m sure we’ll get there eventually. I love IU bball and will continue to support these guys til the end. 

• Like 2