Rutgers II Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

You know, looking at the last game against Rutgers at their place, I just don't see any way we play that poorly tomorrow...

Miller Kopp had 11 of our first 14 points, and even with Omoyuri on the bench for most of the 1st half saddled with foul trouble, Trayce didn't make his first FG until there were :40 seconds left in the 1st half...

Galloway, XJ, Race and Geronimo were a collective 2-23 from the field...

I'm sorry, I just can't see us playing that way again...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You know, looking at the last game against Rutgers at their place, I just don't see any way we play that poorly tomorrow...

Miller Kopp had 11 of our first 14 points, and even with Omoyuri on the bench for most of the 1st half saddled with foul trouble, Trayce didn't make his first FG until there were :40 seconds left in the 1st half...

Galloway, XJ, Race and Geronimo were a collective 2-23 from the field...

I'm sorry, I just can't see us playing that way again...

Mixed feelings with RU about the Mag injury, should be an interesting game judging on Coach Pike’s game plan since Mag was on TJD the last time (I think). The Hall should be rocking with the early tipoff

Edited by Hoosierfan1901

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Well said.....When's the last time we had guy who's best shot was an old school, mid range jumper. Those are rare anymore. When he shoots those, I'm totally confident that it's going in. Sort of the same way I'm feeling more confident with Galloways "in the paint" floaters. 

Great question. Calbert made a career out of getting jumpers at the free throw line.

The guy who should be taking advantage of that is Tamar Bates. His pass to a cutting Banks for the dunk during the purdue game was perfect and he did that after a quick dribble and rising from the FT line.

Since Tamar is not strong with the dribble and rarely gets past his man off the dribble for a clean shot, he should work more to catch, take one dribble to the FT line, rise and shoot or pass to the open spot/cutter.  Add that to his spot up jumpers from three and now he can contribute inside and out. Especially over smaller guards. In the meantime, his next improvement has to be going to the glass. Stop standing there watching shots at his size.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 3

On 2/5/2023 at 10:32 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

Don’t know what I’m gonna do with an early midweek game. 
Thanks, BTN. No 9:00ish start.

This is going to be a tough one. McConnell is a lock-down defender and will probably guard JHS. Omoruyi has really improved and is almost as shifty as TJD in the post. Spencer had an off shooting day yesterday and won’t expect him to repeat that. As was said, Mulcahy is a seasoned leader and seems to always make the smart play.

Also concerned that we’ll have a letdown after such an emotional win yesterday. CMW and staff are going to have to work hard to get these guys back to the level of intensity we saw v the Toiletmakers.

This is going to be a grinder, I think. May very well come down to the last possession 

This is the ONE time that I hate this 6:30 start. I have to be in Anaheim Cali tomorrow at a trade show. Effing 3:30? I'm gonna have to cut out, sales be damned !

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Mixed feelings with RU about the Mag injury, should be an interesting game judging on Coach Pike’s game plan since Mag was on TJD the last time (I think). The Hall should be rocking with the early tipoff

They switched defenses quite a bit, and pressed some...I'd imagince we;ll see that tomorrow as well...

Omoyuri started out on Trayce, and he got 2 quick fould...Dean Reiber came in, and Trayce should have dominated him, but we weren't getting him the ball...there was about a 3 minute period where Geronimo shot 3 3pointers...And missed them all...

Mag was on Race, and simply outplayed him...I would imagine if Mag is out, Race will be on Hyatt, and he should post the crap out of him...

Be interesting to see who draws McConnell and Mulcahy...I'd guess JHS on McConnell and Trey on Mulcahy...With Kopp guarding Spencer...

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mag was on Race, and simply outplayed him...I would imagine if Mag is out, Race will be on Hyatt, and he should post the crap out of him...

Be interesting to see who draws McConnell and Mulcahy...I'd guess JHS on McConnell and Trey on Mulcahy...With Kopp guarding Spencer...

Had the same thoughts too

TJD-Omoyuri (to start off)

Race-Hyatt (Replacing Mag, RT slowly getting healthy)

JHS-McConnell (Pike will put his DPOY on him)

TG- Mulcahy 

MK- Spencer (6’7 to 6’4 difference)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

Well said.....When's the last time we had guy who's best shot was an old school, mid range jumper. Those are rare anymore. When he shoots those, I'm totally confident that it's going in. Sort of the same way I'm feeling more confident with Galloways "in the paint" floaters. 

The mid-range jumper that JHS immediately started shooting early this season was part of the reason I was really into him. We haven’t had many mid-range shooters lately and they are super effective - and harder for teams to guard against. 

• Like 2

On 2/5/2023 at 10:59 AM, IUKane21 said:

Excuse my French, but we really just need to come out and f^@k these boys up. Backyard/parking lot type ass whooping. 

Its time. 

If you were really speaking French, it would have read.

Mais nous avons vraiment juste besoin de sortir et de f^@k ces garçons. Arrière-cour / parking type cul coqueluche. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you were really speaking French, it would have read.

Mais nous avons vraiment juste besoin de sortir et de f^@k ces garçons. Arrière-cour / parking type cul coqueluche. 

Oui... or in Rutgers case, a small Oui Oui

Edited by Dawg Bawls
  • Haha 5

You know, I have always despised opposing teams and fans talking smack. Ron Harper Jr. and his personal comments of IU is a perfect example.  I may be old school but running your mouth often usually has negative effects. I always told my softball daughters and teams I've coached to NEVER throw shade or disrespect to opposing teams.  No matter how much it ticks you off or hurts. It's almost impossible at times. You prove it on the field, or in this case on the court. When you win, you show good sportsmanship, respect and walk off as if it was just another game. If you lose, you do the same. Don't get me wrong......

The point I am make with all this is "IF YOU POKE THE BEAR LONG ENOUGH, YOU WILL GET BIT!"

I have always relished in being a "silent assassin" on the court or field. Yes, Rutgers has had our number for some time and yes players and fans will continue to run their mouths. I get that. 

I have sneaky felling that the BEAR'S gonna bite tonight! 

Here's the reason for this wordy post from a Rutgers fan....lol

Indiana plays a style of basketball that is 1000% reliant on turning you over and getting baskets in transition. If you take care of the basketball and make them earn it each possession, they do NOT, have the discipline, over 40 minutes to play crisp basketball.

Keep them out of transition and Cliff should cancel out TJD. As far as Hood-Schifino, he is dynamic, BUT, I would rather have him take 15 to 16 shots and make him and TJD carry the scoring load.

Once you get past those 2 players, I don't see any advantages Indiana can point to.

A) They don't play consistent defense.

B) They don't rebound the ball defensively like RU.

C) They also don't have ANY confidence they can beat RU. Even if they get off to a fast start and the crowd is roaring, this is a disciplined and rugged RU roster.

D) someone has to guard Mulcahy, someone has to matchup and not get into foul trouble guarding Cliff and Caleb and others will smother the other guys.

This sets up perfectly for RU, with Indiana riding high off of beating Purdue.

RU 67, IU 58.....

This is not a matchup with Iowa folks.....stop with the overreacting about Indiana.

• image.gif.2d28ca3211fc82dfaa66a913bd9c0782.gif
 Reactions:Scangg
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

You know, I have always despised opposing teams and fans talking smack. Ron Harper Jr. and his personal comments of IU is a perfect example.  I may be old school but running your mouth often usually has negative effects. I always told my softball daughters and teams I've coached to NEVER throw shade or disrespect to opposing teams.  No matter how much it ticks you off or hurts. It's almost impossible at times. You prove it on the field, or in this case on the court. When you win, you show good sportsmanship, respect and walk off as if it was just another game. If you lose, you do the same. Don't get me wrong......

The point I am make with all this is "IF YOU POKE THE BEAR LONG ENOUGH, YOU WILL GET BIT!"

I have always relished in being a "silent assassin" on the court or field. Yes, Rutgers has had our number for some time and yes players and fans will continue to run their mouths. I get that. 

Indiana plays a style of basketball that is 1000% reliant on turning you over and getting baskets in transition. If you take care of the basketball and make them earn it each possession, they do NOT, have the discipline, over 40 minutes to play crisp basketball.

Keep them out of transition and Cliff should cancel out TJD. As far as Hood-Schifino, he is dynamic, BUT, I would rather have him take 15 to 16 shots and make him and TJD carry the scoring load.

Once you get past those 2 players, I don't see any advantages Indiana can point to.

C) They also don't have ANY confidence they can beat RU. Even if they get off to a fast start and the crowd is roaring, this is a disciplined and rugged RU roster.

D) someone has to guard Mulcahy, someone has to matchup and not get into foul trouble guarding Cliff and Caleb and others will smother the other guys.

RU 67, IU 58.....

This is not a matchup with Iowa folks.....stop with the overreacting about Indiana.

Aren't we towards the bottom of the Big Ten in forcing turnovers? I don't view IU as some turnover forcing, transition team. 

The entire premise of that post from the Rutgers fan seems pretty off.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

RU 67, IU 58.....

Isn't not being Iowa a good thing?

• Like 3

Just looked it up, in the post that @Artesian_86 shared, the Rutgers fan was literally describing his own team, not IU. 

Indiana is 8th in the conference in forcing turnovers and 10th in turnover margin (our margin is actually negative). 

Rutgers is 1st in the conference in forcing turnovers and 3rd in turnover margin. 

Rutgers is the team that relies on forcing turnovers and getting into transition. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

The mid-range jumper that JHS immediately started shooting early this season was part of the reason I was really into him. We haven’t had many mid-range shooters lately and they are super effective - and harder for teams to guard against. 

His mid-range game just not on right now.  I think due mainly to shot selection.

I think three areas we need to improve to beat Rutgers: 

1) They get 16.8 points per game off of TOs.  We need to be careful with the ball and shot selection to not give them easy points.  Looking at you JHS.

2) We need to keep them off the offensive boards.

3) We need to defend without fouling too much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slojoe said:

His mid-range game just not on right now.  I think due mainly to shot selection.

? what? 

He hit like 4 or 5 mid range shots vs. Purdue and I don't think the kid has taken a bad shot the past three games. Minnesota he did a couple of times. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

RU 67, IU 58.....

Not only is this guy illuminating his relative lack of knowledge of the game of basketball, nobody that has anything to do with Rutgers should be talking smack about anyone. That program hasn't so much as won a major conference championship.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not only is this guy illuminating his relative lack of knowledge of the game of basketball, nobody that has anything to do with Rutgers should be talking smack about anyone. That program hasn't so much as won a major conference championship.  

Yep.... I feel the ongoing Ron Harper thing is the catalyst to my post. I just saw that Rutgers post and it reminded me Ron Harper calling us "soft" and no one was afraid of IU. At the time, there was probably some truth to that, but man......"shut your mouth"!

• Like 3