Nebraska Pre-Game Thread

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, DWB said:

I agree, but only if the shot clock is under 10. Way too many times we take a 3 very early in the shot clock, by somebody other than Kopp. We need to work the ball more and try to find holes in the defense. If we were a 40% shooting team from 3, that's a different story. But we're not.

You can't put that stipulation on any offense, man. There are good shots and bad shots... I don't really think the point in the shot clock is relevant. This is also why it's imperative to rebound the damn ball defensively and get the ball into the front court quickly. 

I can see what you're saying about being a better 3pt shooting team, just don't necessarily agree with the shot clock thing. I don't think late in the shot clock= better shots. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DWB said:

I agree, but only if the shot clock is under 10. Way too many times we take a 3 very early in the shot clock, by somebody other than Kopp. We need to work the ball more and try to find holes in the defense. If we were a 40% shooting team from 3, that's a different story. But we're not.

This isn't true. We shoot under twenty 3s per game and our tempo is 126th. There's no way those two numbers could possibly add up to "way too many" early 3s. 

I'd actually argue I'd like to see us shoot MORE threes, and not just from Kopp. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson pregame Nebraska...Ol Woody gets really salty at a question about drills in practice at about the 10:17 mark...🤣

And when are some of the reporters going to learn to NEVER waste their question on an opponent beyond the one at hand? Courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier

Don't let @Steubenhoosiersee the answer about other teams in the state doing well, he might have a stroke. 

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Coach Woodson pregame Nebraska...Ol Woody gets really salty at a question about drills in practice at about the 10:17 mark...🤣

And when are some of the reporters going to learn to NEVER waste their question on an opponent beyond the one at hand? Courtesy of @The Daily Hoosier

You'd categorize that as a salty answer? 

Just now, btownqb said:

You'd categorize that as a salty answer? 

Yes...Saying "I don't know if you guys ever played sports before" and the 💩 stream at the end struck me as a little salty...

Not that I find anything wrong with it...Coach Woodson is right...There's no "magic formula" beyond hard work and executing what you've practiced...Pretty much that way in every endeavor if you ask me...

Coach Woodson isn't nearly as salty as Coach Knight was, but I can tell he gets a bit perturbed from time to time with the journalists...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes...Saying "I don't know if you guys ever played sports before" and the 💩 stream at the end struck me as a little salty...

Not that I find anything wrong with it...Coach Woodson is right...There's no "magic formula" beyond hard work and executing what you've practiced...Pretty much that way in every endeavor if you ask me...

Coach Woodson isn't nearly as salty as Coach Knight was, but I can tell he gets a bit perturbed from time to time with the journalists...

Two different people, two different viewpoints! I don't share your opinion on that, but that's not big of a deal! 

And yep, agree... definitely no magical formula! And 100% it's like that in real life, as well, great point! 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I guess you could take it that way from the 3 or 4 cuss words there at the end. I honestly think he is STILL soooo pi$$ed off at how we played and looked against Rutgers. That style of play is just not in his DNA. He just gets mad thinking about their poor play and starts cussing. I know I've been there from coaching basketball and softball. 

I really get the feeling that Wednesday, we will see much tougher team on the floor. I'm not guaranteeing a win, I'm just saying Woody has probably lit a fire into the players. If that $h*t happens again....they gonna be riding the pine!

As Knight would say, "“The greatest motivator in the world is your ass on the bench. Ass meets bench, bench retains ass, ass transmits signals to the brain, brain transmits signals to the body, body gets ass off bench and plays better. It's a hell of a sequence.” - Bobby Knight

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Two different people, two different viewpoints! I don't share your opinion on that, but that's not big of a deal! 

And yep, agree... definitely no magical formula! And 100% it's like that in real life, as well, great point! 

To be clear, I mean "salty" as "aggravated." The language itself doesn't bother me...

Like I said, one of our previous coaches said words even sailors don't know ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

You can't put that stipulation on any offense, man. There are good shots and bad shots... I don't really think the point in the shot clock is relevant. This is also why it's imperative to rebound the damn ball defensively and get the ball into the front court quickly. 

I can see what you're saying about being a better 3pt shooting team, just don't necessarily agree with the shot clock thing. I don't think late in the shot clock= better shots. 

The shot clock comment was a relative element. I'm not saying the 3 pt shot needs to come at below 10 seconds, I'm saying why take a 3 pointer in the early part of the shot clock without even trying to work the ball around to find holes in the defense. If a guy is having a hot shooting nite, then go for it. But JG, Race, Bates haven't shown they are consistent 3 pt shooters at all. (Bates had 1 hot night out of 2 seasons, so that DQ's him as a consistent 3 pt shooter) And even X is pretty streeky. If we had 3 solid 3 point shooters (oh God, please let that happen...) then that's different. 

But with this team, at this point in time, we're NOT a 3 pt shooting team. Race had 2 airballs from 3 in the Rutgers game.  But that is only one example of several that could be used. Taking a bad shot (like UNC coach said) is like a TO. I agree with that. Open shots by mediocre shooters, does NOT make it a good shot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, btownqb said:

100% they do.

I am not mad at all with Race shooting... I'm pissed off because he doesn't take "in rhythm 3s" ... like, the way Race Thompson shoots his 3s is NOT how he practices them. Catch the ball, in rhythm, and let it fly. He catches.. pauses... judges the wind, and then shoots. Impossible for RT to be effective that way. Jordy Hulls? Reggie Miller? They can head butt a ball in... Race Thompson? Shoot it in rhythm. Don't think about it. 

Would it be a taunting call if somebody licked their finger and put it up in the air to judge the wind before nailing a 3? 😎

Either way, I now want to see that happen. 

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, DWB said:

The shot clock comment was a relative element. I'm not saying the 3 pt shot needs to come at below 10 seconds, I'm saying why take a 3 pointer in the early part of the shot clock without even trying to work the ball around to find holes in the defense. If a guy is having a hot shooting nite, then go for it. But JG, Race, Bates haven't shown they are consistent 3 pt shooters at all. (Bates had 1 hot night out of 2 seasons, so that DQ's him as a consistent 3 pt shooter) And even X is pretty streeky. If we had 3 solid 3 point shooters (oh God, please let that happen...) then that's different. 

But with this team, at this point in time, we're NOT a 3 pt shooting team. Race had 2 airballs from 3 in the Rutgers game.  But that is only one example of several that could be used. Taking a bad shot (like UNC coach said) is like a TO. I agree with that. Open shots by mediocre shooters, does NOT make it a good shot.

Used to be you passed up a good shot to get a better shot.  The shot clock has changed that philosophy.

• Like 2

You don’t have to make 3’s to win 🏆 

You  better be efficient with low turnovers, great defense & good rebounding which IU is very capable of.  
If you can’t make 3’s you will probably have to grind out wins against high level teams:

Xavier

Rutgers 💩

If Rutgers is doubling TJD and the dive  is covered a wide open 3 is the what you are trying to get ?

1 hour ago, rico said:

Used to be you passed up a good shot to get a better shot.  The shot clock has changed that philosophy.

I still think that applies with a shot clock, but others may disagree. 30 seconds is enough to get multiple good looks most of the time. If we can get Trayce the ball with a chance to score I’d prefer that over a Geronimo jumpshot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

37 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I still think that applies with a shot clock, but others may disagree. 30 seconds is enough to get multiple good looks most of the time. If we can get Trayce the ball with a chance to score I’d prefer that over a Geronimo jumpshot with 20 seconds left on the shot clock.

I take the 1st good shot that becomes available.  But that is me.