Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

10 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"yes, but Edey's arms are just so huge that it's hard to lift them, hence Sisoko's arm was pinned under, and he didn't get it out of the accidental vise soon enough so good call against Sisoko." @Stlboiler23 

PS Mady should have gotten a flagrant 2 for hitting the floor so hard

He's really hard to officiate you know. You can't call that on him because he's so tall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

IUFLA,….😑

the “Purdue crowd” ALWAYS comes to this IU message board before, during and after an IU game as well as a PU game! 🤔🙄

I’m not here to troll you guys…

Don’t post in game threads 

Just love college & High School hoops 

many of you have interesting takes & funny lines 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Most hook and holds aren't even that blatant. I have no idea how any sane official could see that and think it's a foul on the guy getting thrown. 

I’m okay with the initial foul being on MSU, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t also a hook and hold after the initial foul. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"yes, but Edey's arms are just so huge that it's hard to lift them, hence Sisoko's arm was pinned under, and he didn't get it out of the accidental vise soon enough so good call against Sisoko." @Stlboiler23 

PS Mady should have gotten a flagrant 2 for hitting the floor so hard

I think we were fortunate it wasn’t a hook and hold but there was initially a foul on Sissoko (grabbed his arm) so I’m not sure if the rules negate anything that happens after that. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

I know Minnesota doesn't have much of a basketball history, but the broadcasters kept bringing up Jim Brewer having his number retired...

Minnesota should be ashamed as Brewer was a major part of the ugliest incident in a college basketball game I've ever seen... 

I don't know much about that incident as it was before my time. But I do know Jim Brewer, he was an assistant coach with the Celtics when I worked there, and he is a great guy. 

Like all of us that doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes, but just going on my experience and whatever happened then, he turned into a great person that has coached and mentored many young players. 

He definitely learned from those mistakes. 

32 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

He's really hard to officiate you know. You can't call that on him because he's so tall.

It’s just interesting seeing people claim Edey is unfairly officiated against when in reality, he gets hacked/beaten up/you name it and they don’t call nearly the number of fouls they probably could or should. The downside of being that talI guess. Can’t blame teams that employ the “can’t call them all” tactic. It goes both ways. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know much about that incident as it was before my time. But I do know Jim Brewer, he was an assistant coach with the Celtics when I worked there, and he is a great guy. 

Like all of us that doesn't mean he hasn't made mistakes, but just going on my experience and whatever happened then, he turned into a great person that has coached and mentored many young players. 

He definitely learned from those mistakes. 

I sure hope so...

That said, Brewer, Corky Taylor, and Dave Winfield (yes that Dave Winfield) should have never been allowed to play college basketball again... 

Luke Witte, who was all Big 10 as a sophomore, was never the same player again... 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

Wow.  Edey initiated all of that.  Locked the guy's arm down, pivoted, and threw him over his hip with a judo move. 

Number 22 for MSU weighs 220 pounds.  That could have broken his arm at the elbow.

Refs missed the original foul on Sissoko which was the big miss here. That needs to be called in the first place. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Refs missed the original foul on Sissoko which was the big miss here. That needs to be called in the first place. 

Trash take. It’s a flipping nerd with no credibility arguing for airborne shooter treatment on a rebound.

Edey probably was fouled first in the arm, not the body like the nerd says, and then Edey proceeded to commit a flagrant. If Edey tore his rotator cuff like that if the roles were reversed, Purdue fans would cry about it for 15 years like Hummel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

@5fouls really hit the nail on the head. TKR is a guy who really needs to play a lot to really get into a groove. He’s had some really productive games when he actually plays solid minutes but when you’ve got a NPOY front runner and a versatile big like Furst in front of you, it can be tough to grab minutes. And idk what it is but it seems like the refs have had it out for him when it comes to some shaky whistles this year haha. 

His low-post game is really good and I think he’ll get his chance once Edey leaves. Just stuck behind a stud right now. 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

He plays an 'old man's game', meaning a style that would have been more successful in the 70's and 80's.  But, I think a lot of it is that he has always been someone that takes some time to get into the flow of the game.  He doesn't get that opportunity with Edey.  When Edey was out earlier this season, he had 24 in a game, albeit not against Big Ten competition.

He'll be more consistent contributor once Edey moves on.  

Thanks guys! Just was honestly expecting some more when I watched. The records he broke and the guys he has records with from this state I didn't expect him to be taking this much of a backseat. I mean he shares records with guys like Eric Gordon. I'm not saying this in any disrespectful way at all.....but is maybe the smaller stage at Purdue just so much more suited for a kid like him which is why he chose them? 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Trash take. It’s a flipping nerd with no credibility arguing for airborne shooter treatment on a rebound.

Edey probably was fouled first in the arm, not the body like the nerd says, and then Edey proceeded to commit a flagrant. If Edey tore his rotator cuff like that if the roles were reversed, Purdue fans would cry about it for 15 years like Hummel. 

Haas was literally knocked out of the NCAA tournament due to a hook and hold scenario lol. Refs call the original foul and it ends there. 

2 minutes ago, slojoe said:

If you're going to rebound with the big dogs, well....you got to do more than this wimp did. 

Here's the problem in my eyes. Just like Kofi. Big 10 lets you get away with that all year and all of a sudden in the 2nd round of tourney Edey is out with 3 fouls 10 minutes into the game and your season is down the tubes.

• Like 2