Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

48 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

I hate how likeable Matt Painter is

I was fortunate to ref a couple of his high school games at Delta High School. Painter loved Coach Knight, was good friends with Pat Knight and wanted to go to Indiana in the worst way. Our loss, Purdue's gain!

Outstanding high school player!

Edited by jefftheref
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jefftheref said:

Let's face it, Purdue is the best program in the state and has by far the best coach in the state. I wish he was coaching Indiana. Quite frankly Indiana football and basketball suck. I am not and never have been a Woodson or a Tom Allen fan. I can't wait till they are both gone so Indiana can start rebuild with a new coach. Shake my head at their program!

You can blame RMK for Painter being the coach at Purdue.  If he had signed Painter instead of Leary in 1989 he wouldn't have been the coach st Purdue. It is known that Painter and his family were huge IU fans but RMK went with Leary instead. 

I think it is time for a change in football but to be fair to Allen he had one of the best two years stretch in IU football history.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cbp4IU said:

I just saw that Skyy Clark left the Illinois program… Curious to see if IU would consider reaching out. They could use guards 

Hell no, he isn't that good and seems to leave schools regularly. Went to multiple HS, committed to UK and then decommitted nti go to UI

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

I just saw that Skyy Clark left the Illinois program… Curious to see if IU would consider reaching out. They could use guards 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hell no, he isn't that good and seems to leave schools regularly. Went to multiple HS, committed to UK and then decommitted nti go to UI

Plus he’s had knee and shoulder injuries 

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

I was fortunate to ref a couple of his high school games at Delta High School. Painter loved Coach Knight, was good friends with Pat Knight and wanted to go to Indiana in the worst way. Our loss, Purdue's gain!

Outstanding high school player!

I am from the same class as Painter and Delta played at my school his senior year. Keady was at that game and we knew he was going to be there. One of my friends was a Purdue fan and I went over with him so hecould get Keady's autograph. So I went over with him with my IU sweatshirt and sweats on 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

I was literally thinking to myself last night, being January 5th, if a player could still transfer out of there.  Guess so.  I think we have used all our scholarships.   

27 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole unless the kid and those around him make some major changes. With that said from what I was told there might be others either shortly or definitely at seasons end. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole unless the kid and those around him make some major changes. With that said from what I was told there might be others either shortly or definitely at seasons end. 

Something seems up with Illini locker room.  Possible underwood lost it.  

no veterans who came up through the system.  Best/oldest player is a portal guy.   He and Hawkins are allegedly oil and water.  

his coaching style requires a kid who can handle/want that.  When things get tough, previously, they would look up to Frasier, ayo, and Kofi.  But those type of guys aren’t there.   

with that said, one win can change everything. They were playing like a top 5 team at one point.  

Wouldn’t surprise me if Underwood seeks the Texas job. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Something seems up with Illini locker room.  Possible underwood lost it.  

no veterans who came up through the system.  Best/oldest player is a portal guy.   He and Hawkins are allegedly oil and water.  

his coaching style requires a kid who can handle/want that.  When things get tough, previously, they would look up to Frasier, ayo, and Kofi.  But those type of guys aren’t there.   

with that said, one win can change everything. They were playing like a top 5 team at one point.  

Wouldn’t surprise me if Underwood seeks the Texas job. 

Underwood turned Ayo into a 3rd year 2nd rounder after 3 years. Billy D turned him into an all pro rookie team in 6 months. That's coaching. Underwood couldn't beat a Loyola team with Ayo and Kofi.....and hasn't sent one kid to the first round in his 5-6 years at Illinois. That's coaching.

Why would Texas be interested in that? Shoot Tom Crean would make so much more sense....at least he's won, won conference championships, been to a Final 4 and sent countless kids to the league.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Gard and Pikiel are both really good at finding guys who fit their system and developing them

I think you make a key point 

it’s not just developing them…they start out with the right attitude 

you can be a screamer like Underwood but if the kids don’t listen or care 🚽💩🫣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Underwood turned Ayo into a 3rd year 2nd rounder after 3 years. Billy D turned him into an all pro rookie team in 6 months. That's coaching. Underwood couldn't beat a Loyola team with Ayo and Kofi.....and hasn't sent one kid to the first round in his 5-6 years at Illinois. That's coaching.

Why would Texas be interested in that? Shoot Tom Crean would make so much more sense....at least he's won, won conference championships, been to a Final 4 and sent countless kids to the league.

IMHO

Player Development is 90% player working hard 

coach can develop culture & system to fit players 

Coach can hold player accountable 

if players don’t want to work or listen then that’s on the coach and culture….recruit different kids 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Underwood made a name for himself in the state.  Not sure if there will be mutual interest,  but I would think Underwood would definitely consider it and big ten b-ball/officiating sucks. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

IMHO

Player Development is 90% player working hard 

coach can develop culture & system to fit players 

Coach can hold player accountable 

if players don’t want to work or listen then that’s on the coach and culture….recruit different kids 

Good coaches recruit to their culture and system anne don't try to fit players into that system.  You have to recruit nthe type of players that fits the coach. You saw it a few years ago when Painter went against his culture and brought in guys that didn't fit his culture. They lost a lot and he went back to what worked.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Good coaches recruit to their culture and system anne don't try to fit players into that system.  You have to recruit nthe type of players that fits the coach. You saw it a few years ago when Painter went against his culture and brought in guys that didn't fit his culture. They lost a lot and he went back to what worked.

💯. MP made 3 changes.

1.  Recruit guys who love 🏀 

2.  Recruit skill..shooting & passing 

3.  Only having people around who make the job fun 

52 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Underwood made a name for himself in the state.  Not sure if there will be mutual interest,  but I would think Underwood would definitely consider it and big ten b-ball/officiating sucks. 

UT will set their sights much higher than Underwood. He might be a fallback plan. 

• Thanks 1