Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

6 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Defense is pretty good but the offense is a disaster. Trying to get too much out of Hawkins right now and he's making all the wrong choices.

So much for having that easy conference schedule....

So we've both had issues with psychopaths in the last few days...

But ours doesn't coach :D 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Devil's Advocate question here (strictly academic, as I don't like or care about Illinois): could Underwood be trying the "common enemy"-approach? Again, I don't follow the team and pay absolutely zero attention to his coaching/management style, but could he be trying to make himself the big bad to everyone, so that they band together and become more cohesive through all the ups and downs?

It's not a new concept by any means. Is it an effective one in the long term?

Here's what I would say and it's two-three fold. I think Underwood thinks he has some large equity built up because of his regular season success so he thinks he can act this way....but the fans I know not only don't care about that they cite quickly he out coached/schemed by Loyola and Houston in back to back tourney years with Ayo/Kofi/Trent. 

Those same fans and I also keep going back to Mayer's comments. Here's a new player basically saying we aren't good together. That isn't a cohesive group. To that I would say if you constantly have roster turnover what do you expect?

Long season and he still might be able to push the right buttons with this group but his Keady antics on the sideline aren't endearing him to the Illini fans I know because he doesn't have that equity built up he thinks he does.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think the day he threw them under the bus, he lost them...

I'd NEVER berate one of my charges in public... Never... 

If the common enemy of the players is the coach, why would they want him to look good by winning? 

Only half a dozen coaches ever have that much equity built up with fans to throw the team under the bus and I know of only 1-2 (Knight included) that could do that and get away with it. 

Good luck selling that on the recruiting trail Coach Underwood. Antigua and Coleman aren't there anymore to deliver Ayo and Kofi.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

For a second there, I thought it was the reincarnation of Chris Farley...

I was thinking Bill Cowher after a dozen Red Bulls cause you know the spittle was flying...

It looked like Shannon said something back... I know what I would have said... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Here's what I would say and it's two-three fold. I think Underwood thinks he has some large equity built up because of his regular season success so he thinks he can act this way....but the fans I know not only don't care about that they cite quickly he out coached/schemed by Loyola and Houston in back to back tourney years with Ayo/Kofi/Trent. 

Those same fans and I also keep going back to Mayer's comments. Here's a new player basically saying we aren't good together. That isn't a cohesive group. To that I would say if you constantly have roster turnover what do you expect?

Long season and he still might be able to push the right buttons with this group but his Keady antics on the sideline aren't endearing him to the Illini fans I know because he doesn't have that equity built up he thinks he does.

To be completely fair on the out coached by Loyola and Houston… those two coaches out coach a lot of guys when it comes to X and Os.