Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

8 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

Just hate it that we think this way but based on years of experience we just do. Sigh.

Surely if our defense travels we can shut these guys down - right?

The last time IU finished above .500 in the conference was 2016.  So it is understandable to doubt.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure end of year awards are a good measurement of the talent a coach has...How he's developed the talent he has, and how that talent has performed as a team, sure...If you look at RSCI rankings coming out of high school, Michigan had the 2nd most Top 100 kids in the Big 10 behind Michigan State. I know a lot of people dismiss high school rankings, and they can be grossly inaccurate in cases, but it is a yardstick in gauging talent, particularly at the top...Michigan's 2021 class had 4 top 50 kids in it...Add those to Dickinson, a pretty good guard in Eli Brooks and grad transfer Devante Jones, and I can see the reason for a lot of sportswriter's optimism...

Michigan had 2 freshmen, Diabate and Houstan, that got drafted by NBA clubs and while I understand your statement about potential, the difference between the raw basketball skills and athleticism of say a Houstan vs Trent Frazier, or Davison (that dirty SOB!) and Diabate isn't even close...The development of those skills is the kicker...

So I do agree with Scott that Michigan had one of the top 2 or 3 teams in terms of talent, but they badly underacheived...And that falls on Howard...

Actually, in his four years at Michigan, he hasn't had all that much success...His second year was really good...Beyond that? Well, let's say the results don't measure up to the talent :) I think it's even more of a reflection on Howard's record that he has a fairly successful head coach on his staff (Phil Martelli) guiding him along...

image.png.0f2baf1dc9e6395aa708a97ea04b5d79.png

I honestly think once his sons, Jett and Jace are gone, he'll start looking for an NBA gig...

Really Jace, you thought you could win a home game against a 4-8 team that was NET #292?

Team captain Jace Howard spoke to the media after the game, saying the Wolverines beat themselves in this one.

“This one is definitely the toughest, because we definitely thought we could have beat this team,” Howard said. “Obviously we shot ourselves in the foot a lot, I think, throughout the game and it’s been a trend now. Especially these home games, I feel like we’ve been shooting ourselves in the foot and we’ve been able to sneak out of them. Let’s call it what it is: we’re down in the last five minutes of each one I’m pretty sure, and now it bit us in the butt. There’s nowhere to go from here, it’s the lowest you can get.”

“They came out in a zone and we weren’t expected much of a zone, but I still feel like we executed well aside from those two or three possessions we had down the stretch,” Howard said. “It’s defense, it’s rebounding, it’s the little that you think is simple. But when it gets down to it, it’s obviously something that we’re really bad at right now.”

“Rebounding is simple — it’s technique, but it’s also wanting it more,” Howard said. “I feel like we’re not doing that, obviously, we’re doing it really badly. This is basketball. A lot of other sports, talent can separate the two (teams) but anybody can win on any game day, and today shows that.

“They played better than us, they played harder, they out-rebounded us, they played better defensively, and they were a more connected team.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

Just hate it that we think this way but based on years of experience we just do. Sigh.

Surely if our defense travels we can shut these guys down - right?

This is what 2 decades of losing coaches with a losing mindset has done to our fanbase. We look for disadvantages where there shouldn't be any, and we just assume the worst. I'm sick and tired of it, but this isn't something that gets fixed overnight, either. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

This is what 2 decades of losing coaches with a losing mindset has done to our fanbase. We look for disadvantages where there shouldn't be any, and we just assume the worst. I'm sick and tired of it, but this isn't something that gets fixed overnight, either. 

Winning consistently will cure that.  Go on the road and win games.  Win games you're supposed to win.  Dominate at home and win close ones you might ne be expected to and dominate those you expect too.  Show up in the Conference and NCAA tourney.  Winning cures all.  But most of all.  BE CONSISTANT.  If you're defense is great at home, it better be F&^King good on the road.  You can't play tough and strong at home and show your belly and give up on the road.  Do that for 2 years and the fanbase will be believe you're going to win games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rico said:

The last time IU finished above .500 in the conference was 2016.  So it is understandable to doubt.

There is no doubt that it is understandable and it goes back well before 2016. Having been a student during the best 4 years ever in IU basketball history and then experiencing national championships in '81 and '87 I never imagined that such a draught was on the horizon.  I am certainly not throwing stones at those who have adopted the philosophy that our opponents, regardless of their statistics to date, will somehow rise to the occasion when playing us and set the world on fire because I am among those who have been relegated to feeling that way. Thing is, there was a time when we expected the best shot from our opponents but expected to win anyway. Ready to get that swagger back again. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

There is no doubt that it is understandable and it goes back well before 2016. Having been a student during the best 4 years ever in IU basketball history and then experiencing national championships in '81 and '87 I never imagined that such a draught was on the horizon.  I am certainly not throwing stones at those who have adopted the philosophy that our opponents, regardless of their statistics to date, will somehow rise to the occasion when playing us and set the world on fire because I am among those who have been relegated to feeling that way. Thing is, there was a time when we expected the best shot from our opponents but expected to win anyway. Ready to get that swagger back again. 

There needs to be a “love” emoji on this forum 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, eddy4iu said:

This is from an Athletic article that I posted on the National thread about KY

No doubt they still walk into frenzied road atmospheres — evidenced at Missouri three days after Christmas — but the air of invincibility and inevitability that usually came with the sight of a Kentucky uniform is fading. “People don’t fear them,’’ one coach says. “I think they play hard for the most part. I do. But I also think Cal is trying to figure it out himself. Can he? Absolutely. Will he? That’s a different question.’’

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Impossible to say since I’m guessing Painter will probably coach another 20 years and who knows what the coaching landscape looks like at that time. But a top 25 job can do better than Richard Pitino is all I’m saying. 

Top 25 job?

I don't know... This has you 8th in the Big 10 alone... I actually had you a spot higher in 7th and Illinois 8th, but that's kinda picking lesser of 2 mediocre programs to me...

Painter is 52... You actually think he'll coach until he's 72?

I expect you to pick out of the Purdue tree when the time comes... 

Edited by IUFLA

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Top 25 job?

I don't know... This has you 8th in the Big 10 alone... I actually had you a spot higher in 7th and Illinois 8th, but that's kinda picking lesser of 2 mediocre programs to me...

Painter is 52... You actually think he'll coach until he's 72?

I expect you to pick out of the Purdue tree when the time comes... 

Yeah I think it’s top 25 probably in the 20-25 range. And I don’t agree that Wisconsin is a better job than Purdue either tbh but no arguments for the other teams ahead of Purdue. I wouldn’t be surprised at all for CMP to coach that long. 

Could see us picking out of the Purdue tree for sure.