Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't like that at all. If OSU was on the bubble, would they then account for that game as if it was a loss?

Are they doing to count UVAs win against Duke against UVA now?

What about other games that perhaps didn't get a statement, but had controversial finishes (IU @ NU, several others)? 

Exactly.

There are consequential calls throughout the game that can change the entire flow and course of action. A bit reductive to say that 'only' the final play/s have validity to swing a result.

Super slippery slope.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You seriously think Edey would be the #1 option on every team in D1 this year? 😂

A team that runs or shoots a lot from distance won't wait for Edey to set up camp in the paint.

...or perhaps this year is more down than I thought...

Yeah? What coach wouldn’t have a guy that is effective at the most efficient shots in college basketball be their number 1 option?

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree to disagree, I think some folks have tried really hard all year to discredit Edey and Purdue and it comes off really poorly IMO. It's on par with Purdue fans discrediting us because we can take advantage of the NIL better than they can. 

I think you can make a strong case that Trayce should be B1G POTY and Edey National POTY - no part of me making the case for Trayce would involve the weak takes on Edey. I mean, you could make a lot of those same points ya'll make about Edey towards someone like Shaq or Wilt if you need an example of how weak they are (and yes, from a college standpoint Edey has earned a comparison to Shaq and Wilt for how dominant he's been this season).

Boiler is trying to show that Edey is more than just his size, it's a valid point. I mean, what is TJD wasn't an elite level athlete for his size? Take away anyones best trait that they've built their game around and they'll be a lot worse, what a silly point to make.

I personally think TJD and Edey are the two best players in America; TJD had a better Big Ten season and Edey a better overall season IMO. If your argument for TJD as BTPOTY is centered around something wrong with the guy Trayce is competing with, you're doing a massive descredit to Trayce and all he's accomplished.

Here's my case for TJD as BTPOTY:

• 4 straight POTW awards in the middle of conference play
  • Put up numbers that have only been achieved this century at the college and NBA level by Tim Duncan
  • Best "conference only" raw numbers while having very good efficiency
  • Led his team to second place finish despite playing a far and away more difficult schedule than other top teams.
  • Led his team to a sweep of conference champion

With the year TJD had, he probably wins BTPOY 9/10 times. Just sucks for him it was the one year that Edey just went full beast mode. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

Numbers and staying around the rim to do their damage.  The biggest difference between the 3(Sampson, Ewing, Olajuwon) and Edey is that the previous ones are far more athletic than Zach.  There are subtle differences in their overall games but to me the 4 are comparable.

Rik Smits is probably a more apt comparison in numbers, athleticism, and game... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Rik Smits is probably a more apt comparison in numbers, athleticism, and game... 

that's not nearly as cool as saying "a less athletic Ewing".

Personally, I prefer to be compared to a "less athletic Michael Jordan", than "Bob at the YMCA". Technically both are true though. 

Edited by tdhoosier

1 hour ago, BruceDouglas said:

The committee tentatively places one foot on a very slippery slope....

I wish there was more meat on the bone for that "arm bar, shoulder drop, push off", on Galloway from Booeey'z last shot *Northwestern win! Maybe we'd get one of these sticky considerations From the NCAA for another "win".

So is COTY the coach who did the best relative to their expected finish or the coach who did the best job? Collins did a great job no doubt but I have a hard time wrapping my head around a coach who won the league by 3 games in a year where they were picked between 5th and 7th not winning it. 

2 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I wish there was more meat on the bone for that "arm bar, shoulder drop, push off", on Galloway from Booeey'z last shot *Northwestern win! Maybe we'd get one of these sticky considerations From the NCAA for another "win".

Play On!

45 minutes ago, rico said:

Negative.  Smits had an offensive game 10-15 ft. out from the basket when he was in college.  

In the pros, yes, but not in college... 

And besides, Edey can shoot FTs at a 73% clip, and that means he's got a jump shot... At least according to some 😁

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In the pros, yes, but not in college... 

And besides, he can shoot FTs at a 73% clip, and that means he's got a jump shot... At least according to some 😁

Smits shot the "mid-range" in college.  He "perfected" it in the NBA.

27 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So is COTY the coach who did the best relative to their expected finish or the coach who did the best job? Collins did a great job no doubt but I have a hard time wrapping my head around a coach who won the league by 3 games in a year where they were picked between 5th and 7th not winning it. 

Yep, completely opposite of how the women's COTY was selected. Tough when you have more than one deserving candidate.

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not sure how a coach with a blending of Sampson, Hakeem, and Ewing going beast mode can win COTY to be honest.  Northwestern just has mere mortals on the floor.

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Smits shot the "mid-range" in college.  He "perfected" it in the NBA.

If you remember, Hakeem had a killer baseline jumper, even in college, and Sampson was more than proficient mid range... Ewing, I'll give you... 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

With the year TJD had, he probably wins BTPOY 9/10 times. Just sucks for him it was the one year that Edey just went full beast mode. 

Honestly it's similar in a lot of ways to Vic and Trey Burke.

I'd give TJD the BTPOTY because I think he's better in conference play when I look at all the factors, but think Edey has the better case for NPOTY. I don't really think there's a "wrong" answer though either way. 

• Like 1