Big 10 Basketball 2022-23

IUFLA

41 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What’s wild is why is Northwestern getting the benefit of the doubt here? They’ve made the tournament a whopping ONE time yet the refs seem to treat them like they’re Duke when they played IU and Purdue. Wild 

Now enough of this adversity makes strange bedfellows crap 😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What’s wild is why is Northwestern getting the benefit of the doubt here? They’ve made the tournament a whopping ONE time yet the refs seem to treat them like they’re Duke when they played IU and Purdue. Wild 

Cynically it might be because the B10 wants the "Cinderella" team (and the crying NU kids when they get eliminated, lol).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Cynically it might be because the B10 wants the "Cinderella" team (and the crying NU kids when they get eliminated, lol).

Indiana and Purdue are solidly in the tournament, Northwestern was more likely to need a push.  I wholeheartedly believe that the Big Ten generally has a goal of getting 9 teams in the tournament each year.  In order to do that, you have to muddy up your better teams in order to allow those average teams to resume build.  You can do that by giving an overwhelming advantage to home teams.  The Big Ten home advantage is worth more than in any other conference and it isn't because of fans.

Edit to add:  I think this also impacts tournament performance.  The tournament is about match ups.  The Big Ten is willing to let teams fall off a few lines if it means another BIG school getting an invite.  If you are a 6 who suddenly finds yourself an 8/9 you are in a much more tough position as you are likely playing a 1 seed somewhere close to their region as opposed to a 3 seed (or a cinderella) someplace truly neutral.  Conversely, you can be a 1 that falls to a lower 1 or 2 seed and be one of the teams that falls victim to location.  Even the pods ship teams away.  So if you are an MSU and a Kentucky is a higher 1, you may end up in Dallas while Kentucky is playing in Indianapolis.

Edited by IUCrazy2

6 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Refs are human 

it’s exciting to be part of history & court storms 

otherwise how is this not called ?

47 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Cylinder rule ?

Assault & Battery?

play on 

you can’t blame NW if the refs allow it 

I read the cylinder rule to say that if I, as an offensive player, hit you, when you are in my cylinder, the foul is on you. That doesn't mean that you can't be in my cylinder, just that any contact that happens when you are is on you. I don't see the kind of contact here that would make this a foul.

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Cylinder rule ?

Assault & Battery?

play on 

you can’t blame NW if the refs allow it 

My first job was working for a company in Mishawaka, we manufactured and sold industrial power transmission equipment. One product line was V-belts. We didn’t score on a scale of 10. We had the High Noon scale. Based on the size of V-belt needed to surround a persons shadow at high noon. Is that the cylinder rule you are alluding to?