IUBB 22/‘23

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Went 9-1 against Purdue, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio State, MSU, and Wisconsin… obviously dropped some games we shouldn’t have but that’s damn impressive.

Yep. 1-4 and the world was ending...even with those close losses to finish 12-8 is pretty darn good. Especially considering the injuries.

Now we push all of that aside and hit reset. Whole another level of intensity coming. Hopefully we know that and bring the most. This seeding couldn't have gone any better for us though. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah man, this team has a lot to be proud of and if they don't take a moment to reflect on it now I'l do it for them.

• Top 2 (tied) finish in the Big Ten, despite playing ZERO games with out full starting five.
  • From 1-4 with no games played yet against Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, or Wisconsin, to going 11-4 over the final 15 including 9-1 against those programs.I know a couple of them were down this year, but when is the last time we won 90% of our games against THOSE programs? 
  • Positioned ourselves for a 4 (outside chance at a 3) in the NCAAT.
  • Saw TJD develop into an All-Time great player for us, and easily our best player in the last 30 seasons.
  • Maybe didn't completely eradicate the road troubles of years past, but we really racked up some great road wins including Xavier, Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan.
  • Gutted out wins left and right, and really the only game we "blew" late was the game at Iowa where I think we all remember the screw job that took place. This team flat out closed the door on teams when they have a chance to win games. 

There's still all the work in the world left to do over the next month, but man this team was tough and relentless the vast majority of the season. They took a lot of body blows throughout the season and within the course of games, and they kept picking themselves back up. I hope we can all appreciate that this has been a special season.... with more to come! 

Very well said. All of that in less than 24 months for Coach Woodson. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah man, this team has a lot to be proud of and if they don't take a moment to reflect on it now I'l do it for them.

• Top 2 (tied) finish in the Big Ten, despite playing ZERO games with out full starting five.
  • From 1-4 with no games played yet against Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, or Wisconsin, to going 11-4 over the final 15 including 9-1 against those programs.I know a couple of them were down this year, but when is the last time we won 90% of our games against THOSE programs? 
  • Positioned ourselves for a 4 (outside chance at a 3) in the NCAAT.
  • Saw TJD develop into an All-Time great player for us, and easily our best player in the last 30 seasons.
  • Maybe didn't completely eradicate the road troubles of years past, but we really racked up some great road wins including Xavier, Purdue, Illinois, and Michigan.
  • Gutted out wins left and right, and really the only game we "blew" late was the game at Iowa where I think we all remember the screw job that took place. This team flat out closed the door on teams when they have a chance to win games. 

There's still all the work in the world left to do over the next month, but man this team was tough and relentless the vast majority of the season. They took a lot of body blows throughout the season and within the course of games, and they kept picking themselves back up. I hope we can all appreciate that this has been a special season.... with more to come! 

21-10 now... 

in my opinion, we are 25-6 with XJ and 16-4 B1G champ. 

• Like 9

To paraphrase a thought another poster deftly pointed out, this team was better, tougher and much more successful than last years team with almost the same players (JHS in, Stewart & XJ out).  TJD & Gallo were improved, probably same for Kopp. 

Hopefully that veteran experience will be advantageous in the post season.

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Was there something with JG injury wise? Any news I mean. Or he's just been removed from the rotation? 

He was in uniform and I'm guessing available for Michigan... But the times they showed him on the bench he didn't look real happy... 

32 minutes ago, rico said:

Wasn't he in a walking boot for the Iowa game?

I believe he was.

He dressed against Michigan. I tried to key in on him when the camera showed the IU bench/timeouts. It was tough to get a read on him, as he stood back and way from the main circle. He could still be banged up, could be disinterested, could be I haven't a clue and he was just held back as a precaution so he's ready for the BTT.

If healthy, I do believe he'll play this weekend. Lot of minutes in a short period of time -- will need small contributions from everyone.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

To paraphrase a thought another poster deftly pointed out, this team was better, tougher and much more successful than last years team with almost the same players (JHS in, Stewart & XJ out).  TJD & Gallo were improved, probably same for Kopp. 

Hopefully that veteran experience will be advantageous in the post season.

I really hope the team was able to absorb the impact of Thompson's high basketball IQ play at the end of the UM game. Those steals were veteran moves, made by someone who understood the time and place; they were key to winning that game. It's especially important for the younger guys to see how instrumental those types of plays are, and how doing the "little things" can really have a huge impact.

Additionally, I think CMW should have Race run the stadium stairs for missing four straight FTs, lol. Have the younger guys also witness that, so they can be jolted into not doing the same.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I really hope the team was able to absorb the impact of Thompson's high basketball IQ play at the end of the UM game. Those steals were veteran moves, made by someone who understood the time and place; they were key to winning that game. It's especially important for the younger guys to see how instrumental those types of plays are, and how doing the "little things" can really have a huge impact.

Additionally, I think CMW should have Race run the stadium stairs for missing four straight FTs, lol. Have the younger guys also witness that, so they can be jolted into not doing the same.

And the layup he missed with 30 seconds to go in regulation...

I was saying the whole time when Race crossed half court he should have slowed and called timeout (and we did have one left) so IU could have set up the last shot, as the score was tied at 69...

We won, so not unhappy, but just thought he made the wrong play... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I was saying the whole time when Race crossed half court he should have slowed and called timeout (and we did have one left) so IU could have set up the last shot, as the score was tied at 69...

Just for that play, how cool would it have been to have a Troy Williams or Oladipo or hell, Tom Pritchard, rise up and slam one home?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Man, if I'm a coach and a guy pulls up in a 2 on 1 with the game tied I'd absolutely come unglued. He missed and may have gotten fouled, but it was absolutely the right play, that was the best look we were going to get to score and win the game. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Man, if I'm a coach and a guy pulls up in a 2 on 1 with the game tied I'd absolutely come unglued. He missed and may have gotten fouled, but it was absolutely the right play, that was the best look we were going to get to score and win the game. 

I agree. I wasn't happy with how Race decided to finish though. Like I thought he should easily finished that play. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

But there still would have been 20+ seconds on the clock... Pull it out, get the last shot, and the worst you can do is tie and go to OT...

Missing the layup gave Michigan that same opportunity...

And Jett Howard had made up ground on Tamar, so it was essentially 2 on 2

• Like 1