IUBB 22/‘23

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

He forgot a couple...

Screenshot_20230118-075816.thumb.png.f442a89eaf524f65adac5068e11c6dd7.png

Screenshot_20230118-075729.thumb.png.e406ff1e86725dc9d5eef288a03a2427.png

I think we all know the talent wasn't completely up to the standards that we want and expect (Hunter, Phinisee being closest), but I'm happy they all found places where they can play and contribute in some capacity.

Hopefully they're being great teammates and enjoying the experience.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Not necessarily related to this season, but...

Anderson - 4*, #119. Heavily recruited by PU. Offer from MI

Phinisee - 4*, #131. Heavily recruited by PU. Offers from OSU & VA

Hunter - 4*, #59. Offers from OSU, IL, Rutgers, etc

Lander - 5*, #27. Offers from KS, MI, OSU, LVille, IA, PU, IL

Durr and Stewart were both transfers to fill a need

Nothing wrong with the talent on this list. Rob and Hunter both had injuries that seemed to derail their abilities and their confidence. 

Lander is more interested in being a fashion influencer than a bball player. Should never have reclassified. 

Never figured out Anderson. He was a knock down perimeter shooter in HS, who had a really awkward looking shot. Seemed lost in both offense and defense. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Never figured out Anderson. He was a knock down perimeter shooter in HS, who had a really awkward looking shot. Seemed lost in both offense and defense. 

Just chalk him up to not being able to make the jump.  It happens.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

Look at all that mid major talent IU's had the past few years. Amazing.

Exactly. Outside of TJD we had a MAC level roster, under Archie. 

On 1/18/2023 at 8:56 AM, mrflynn03 said:

So it appears past talent and coaching was below expectations?

Massively. Along with awful player development and team building. AWFUL 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Remember when 90% of this board was ready to get rid of Woody a week ago and had a hissy fit over social media posts by the players? I do. 

We've since won 2 straight and have MSU @ Assembly coming up. 

Knock Knock @IUCrazy2

I have been here after both wins in the threads discussing both games.  I also stand by everything I said after that string of losses and the past 2 wins have done nothing but solidify my prior opinion.  (Nor did I call for firing Woodson, I said he/his staff weren't doing a good job at that time and he/they weren't.)

We have the talent to win games against most of the Big Ten with our current roster IF we play like each game is potentially our last.  We dug ourselves a hole and have had our backs against the wall and we responded with more effort and a visibly better attitude on the court.  And lo and behold we managed to win those games without XJ and RT.  And that was my point.  Even without those 2 guys there was and is enough talent on this team to have beaten the teams we lost to over that beginning stretch of the Big Ten.  We didn't because the team was playing like sh--.  They weren't listening to coaches and they very clearly were not playing with the same amount of effort they have in these past 2 games.  When they have, they have won.  

And the players should still stay away from arguing with fans on Twitter.  That was stupid and a bad look.

Frankly I feel vindicated by the past 2 games so not sure why the need to call me out.  There were a few people I have resisted calling out after the past 2 games to inquire if we suddenly got better players....I was told we couldn't expect to beat the Northwestern's of the world at home with 2 starters down, but here we are soundly beating Illinois on the road with the same damn team by doing the very things I was complaining about not happening. Funny that.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I have been here after both wins in the threads discussing both games.  I also stand by everything I said after that string of losses and the past 2 wins have done nothing but solidify my prior opinion.  (Nor did I call for firing Woodson, I said he/his staff weren't doing a good job at that time and he/they weren't.)

We have the talent to win games against most of the Big Ten with our current roster IF we play like each game is potentially our last.  We dug ourselves a hole and have had our backs against the wall and we responded with more effort and a visibly better attitude on the court.  And lo and behold we managed to win those games without XJ and RT.  And that was my point.  Even without those 2 guys there was and is enough talent on this team to have beaten the teams we lost to over that beginning stretch of the Big Ten.  We didn't because the team was playing like sh--.  They weren't listening to coaches and they very clearly were not playing with the same amount of effort they have in these past 2 games.  When they have, they have won.  

And the players should still stay away from arguing with fans on Twitter.  That was stupid and a bad look.

Frankly I feel vindicated by the past 2 games so not sure why the need to call me out.  There were a few people I have resisted calling out after the past 2 games to inquire if we suddenly got better players....I was told we couldn't expect to beat the Northwestern's of the world at home with 2 starters down, but here we are soundly beating Illinois on the road with the same damn team by doing the very things I was complaining about not happening. Funny that.

Good post.  Head nod of respect and move on.  

Kuddos to players and coaches stepping up.  Keep it rolling now.  

Oh and I love OSU falling apart

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Remember when 90% of this board was ready to get rid of Woody a week ago and had a hissy fit over social media posts by the players? I do. 

Knock Knock @IUCrazy2

Almost like there was an adjustment/transition period needed to learn how to play without XJ and RT.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Good post.  Head nod of respect and move on.  

Kuddos to players and coaches stepping up.  Keep it rolling now.  

Oh and I love OSU falling apart

Absolutely, all credit for getting it turned around these past 2 games (they need to keep it up though).  The way they played the last 2 games is exactly the type of play I thought they were capable of and wanted to see.

I am completely happy with how they have played and if they keep it up I will remain happy.  It has been a long 20 years and I am just over the suck and the excuses for the suck.  We have a good team without XJ and RT.  We have a very good team with them.  We need that good team to make sure they are maximizing effort so that the very good team has something to play for when we (hopefully) get it back.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Knock Knock @IUCrazy2

They have won 2 games. Not exactly a B1G championship. One game under .500 isn’t that impressive. Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out before breaking out the pedestal.

Your response is just as knee jerk as the reaction you’re calling out.

The team is playing to their potential now which is what folks was calling out.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Inequality said:

They have won 2 games. Not exactly a B1G championship. One game under .500 isn’t that impressive. Let’s see how the rest of the season plays out before breaking out the pedestal.

Your response is just as knee jerk as the reaction you’re calling out.

The team is playing to their potential now which is what folks was calling out.

Did I say anything about a big ten championship? Pedestal? All I am saying is for everyone to lighten up. 

When people lose their minds over a couple losses without 2 starters, this board gets very annoying. People were acting like teenage girls. Yes, I called out IUCRAZY because he was being a psychopath over a few losses. I can call out whoever I want. Its a public forum. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I tend to think our struggles vs Iowa, Northwestern, and Penn State were simply the residue of players like Geronimo and JHS adjusting to new roles...

Now that Jordan is comfortable starting and knows the expectations, he's playing much better...

And I think JHS has finally realized that this is his team on both ends...He's elevated his leaership...Did anyone else see him grab CJ by the shoulders and physically reposition him on an inbounds play to sandwich Shannon?

This is going to pay dividends down the road for us...

And I don't think the players "weren't listening." I think it was more not executing...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I tend to think our struggles vs Iowa, Northwestern, and Penn State were simply the residue of players like Geronimo and JHS adjusting to new roles...

Now that Jordan is comfortable starting and knows the expectations, he's playing much better...

And I think JHS has finally realized that this is his team on both ends...He's elevated his leaership...Did anyone else see him grab CJ by the shoulders and physically reposition him on an inbounds play to sandwich Shannon?

This is going to pay dividends down the road for us...

And I don't think the players "weren't listening." I think it was more not executing...

I think we will all have to just agree to disagree.  We are winning, I made my point when we were losing, and I just don't have the want or energy to rehash that all again.

I am content to just leave it at this right now if you all are as well:  Whatever button got pushed, role figured out, magical ju-ju ingested, etc. we are happy with the effort and outcome of the past 2 games.  If that continues, we should have put ourselves in a position to take advantage of getting players back next month to hopefully have the opportunity to make noise in March or, dare say, April.

21 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Did I say anything about a big ten championship? Pedestal? All I am saying is for everyone to lighten up. 

When people lose their minds over a couple losses without 2 starters, this board gets very annoying. People were acting like teenage girls. Yes, I called out IUCRAZY because he was being a psychopath over a few losses. I can call out whoever I want. Its a public forum. 

Eye roll.  Enjoy your Friday and weekend. 

26 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Yeah, thanks for all that? Your completely missing the point.

3 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Your argument is folks overreact in your opinion. My point is your reaction to call those people out over the most recent two games is just as much an over reaction considering the whole picture up to this point. Fair enough?

I tend to side with @RoadToZion on this...After the Penn State game, people were losing their minds, saying Woody lost the team, and they weren't listening, ect...He's just saying that wasn't the issue...And I 100% agree...There is no "magic switch" Coach Woodson flipped...it's a time matter...Kids get use to new roles, and they play better...Simple as that...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

Just now, IUFLA said:

I tend to side with @RoadToZion on this...After the Penn State game, people were losing their minds, saying Woddy lost the team, and they weren't listening, ect...

There is no "magic switch" Coach Woodson flipped...it's a time matter...Kids get use to new roles, and they play better...Simple as that...

Guys, reading tea leaves is what folks do on a fan board. Go read the Illinois board and I bet you will find their fans questioning Underwood’s in game adjustment abilities. It’s all part of it.

I don’t think anyone here is not pulling for the team. I’m not sure why anyone would waste a minute here otherwise.

Some folks remember the RMK years and have a different expectation than someone that came into the IUBB fandom during the CTC tenure. Some would be happy with a .500 season and a first out in the tourney and some would see that as a complete failure given the talent on the roster.

My only point to Zion earlier was what I stated in a previous post. I see his post as the pot calling the kettle black. You cant exactly call others out for premature judgement when you’re doing exactly the same thing.

The team is playing good basketball the last two games but the jury is still out on the season.

Just now, Inequality said:

Guys, reading tea leaves is what folks do on a fan board. Go read the Illinois board and I bet you will find their fans questioning Underwood’s in game adjustment abilities. It’s all part of it.

I don’t think anyone here is not pulling for the team. I’m not sure why anyone would waste a minute here otherwise.

Some folks remember the RMK years and have a different expectation than someone that came into the IUBB fandom during the CTC tenure. Some would be happy with a .500 season and a first out in the tourney and some would see that as a complete failure given the talent on the roster.

My only point to Zion earlier was what I stated in a previous post. I see his post as the pot calling the kettle black. You cant exactly call others out for premature judgement when you’re doing exactly the same thing.

The team is playing good basketball the last two games but the jury is still out on the season.

It definitely is, but as I said in the PSU postgame, exiting the ship at this point is crazy...

If 1983 taught me one thing, it's that a team's season isn't over until it's OVER...Anything can happen...Yes, that's an extreme, but looking for the exit door 15 games into the season is a bit on the panicky side to me too...