IUBB 22/‘23

It's a lot of fun comparing players from different eras and having bar talk on how they match up historically. But the downside is that when it's done with a contemporary player, all of the focus on where they slot in globally naturally takes away from what they're doing right now. We as fans lose sight of their greatness (and it IS greatness or they wouldn't even be in the damn conversation), and miss out on simply enjoying it in the moment.

Where TJD lands on the all-time IU lists has absolutely zero affect on my life, but his day-to-day play (in games) actually does. When he and the team play well, it brings me joy. When they don't, it brings me (via PinkDot) a bottle of whisky.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, btownqb said:

To be clear.... we should all very much want TJD back on our roster next year, regardless of what it would do to the record books. 

Would love to have him back, but it’s time to take his shot at the NBA. I’m betting he’s a second rounder, and has a solid career as a pro - time to go for it.

Edited by Hoosier4Life53

27 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Would love to have him back, but it’s time to take his shot at the NBA. I’m betting he’s a second rounder, and has a solid career as a pro - time to go for it.

Probably.   No one is really debating that.  It's really going to be up to him with brother on campus and an overall lack of success as a team.  Maybe he comes back.  I'd give it maybe a 25% shot.  

If TJD comes back and sits at the top of scoring and rebounding he will have maybe 20ish more games played than the guys below him. Having done most of it with no supporting cast playing double teamed most of his career.  Also, with no outside shot or a right hand. Look what he's been able to do with the tools he's had available.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rico said:

I haven't done the research on it.  But TJD has to be up there in the losses category already.  Another year and he might pass Cy Young?  lol

Records are kinda silly now 

Sacks….no records before 1982😳

college bowl don’t count for Barry Sanders ?

Miller Kopp needs 200 points to pass Jimmy Rayl 

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Hank Aaron played 3298 games to hit 755 home runs.

Babe Ruth played 2503 games to hit 714 home runs.

Set aside Barry Bonds' gargantuan head for a moment.

Who holds the MLB record for most non-steroid home runs?  Ruth or Aaron?

The difference is whether it's a rule. If MLB rules forced Ruth to stop playing, but not Aaron, then a big fat asterisk would be required. TJD is playing in a unique window that neither guys before or after him will have, so it's hard to see it as an actual record.

I think the point of a record is to hold future players up to that comparison, so if they have more restrictive rules, the "record" is not serving its purpose.

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Yep and he never played a NCAAT game!

Because only the SEC champion was allowed to make it.

That brings up another issue regarding tournament records.  We cant count any of those either because the number of teams in the tourney changed over the years.

• Like 1

Teams play close to 40 games a year now...

A player who played 40 games for 4 years would have to average 23 ppg to catch Maravich...

I have a friend who played against him in college... Said whatever you saw on film wasn't nearly as impressive as it was live, on the court...

Also said he might have missed a couple of blocks on Pistol because he was awestruck by the move to get the shot... 

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

That brings up another issue regarding tournament records.  We cant count any of those either because the number of teams in the tourney changed over the years.

I've always found it odd that there was a time playoff/post season stats didn't count in some sports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

True.  But LSU sucked his first 2 years .  NIT his Sr. year.

FYI - Pete's final game, a loss, came at the hands of a Bob Knight coached Army team.  

• Like 1