IUBB 22/‘23

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

The Woodson quote that Osterman posted is the culture problem.  First 3 sentences is just God awful messaging to convey to your team.  Absolutely terrible.

This photo says it all about our defense last night....... Good Lord!!!! This &h*t happened all night....🤬

It reminds of playing basketball during recess in elementary school. Everyone is bunched up under the basket hoping for a rebound so you can go out and shoot. Penn St. had to be thinking.....,"Is this really happening? This is too easy! It's like shooting fish in a barrel!"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

This photo says it all about our defense last night....... Good Lord!!!! This &h*t happened all night....🤬

It reminds of playing basketball during recess in elementary school. Everyone is bunched up under the basket hoping for a rebound so you can go out and shoot. Penn St. had to be thinking.....,"Is this really happening? This is too easy! It's like shooting fish in a barrel!"

Against a team with no interior game and really no drivers who lives on three point shooting. Honestly, it is inexplicable. Any high school coach in Indiana could have done better. If they weren't following the game plan (why not?), how long does it take to correct that, the first timeout? Certainly at halftime. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Purdue7 said:

Can’t imagine the frustration of the bench guys…..

you will never convince me Gunn, Banks. Logan, Leal can’t contribute 

Cupps will arrive and realize they ran a better motion offense in High School 

This season is going so bad I am agreeing with the Purdue guy now...😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just going to remind everyone that back when the remaining 23 recruits were coming off the board, it was stated by one of the media guys, that IU was done recruiting high school seniors for the class and would fill remaining spots with through the portal.  

It was also said that some very high major transfer prospects reached out to the staff last off season, some that never even entered the portal, wanting to come to IU.  Now here we are crying bigger rivers than Tom Izzo as if the world is falling apart.  

Get ahold of your selves, men and women.  Not that I'm throwing in the towel on the season,  the players, and coaches.  They still need their feet to the fire.  Surely someone will pull their britches up.  

2 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

First the Colts and now this with the Hoosiers. I seem to have the kiss of death for any team I cheer for. That being said…

GO BOILERS! 

I think I am a jinx 

IU football bad coaching , poor play, injuries 

IU basketball see above 

Colts the same 

Reds just plain bad in every aspect 

Pacers only good thing for my sports team. Last night had two starters plus a key bench guy out and then Haliburton got injured in tbe 3rd quarter 

4 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Is she related to Justin Smith’s dad?

Didn't the dad's criticisms of Indiana turn out to be mostly correct?

Justin transferred to Arkansas, led them to an Elite Eight in the NCAAs, averaged career high in scoring, and shot 55% from the field.  Made at least all-conference, maybe higher.  He had a great time playing basketball.  Played well, had energy, delivered on the court.

His team finished #6 in the coach's poll, and lost in the NCAAs to the eventually national champion.

While the IU basketball coach got fired.

Edited by Madison22

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think I am a jinx 

IU basketball see above 

Colts the same 

Pacers only good thing for my sports team. Last night had two starters plus a key bench guy out and then Haliburton got injured in tbe 3rd quarter 

I feel your pain. 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think I am a jinx 

IU basketball see above 

Colts the same 

Might need to start calling you Charlie Brown.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

This is starting to feel like a “player A slept with player B’s girlfriend” situation. 

I don't think that for the most part.  From Grandma's tweet there might be a little bitterness at the end of the bench, but I think the players are together.

I think it is a coaching issue.  I don't know whom exactly to point the finger at.  I mean we know where the buck stops but I am not super convinced that we have a really great assistant staff.  Hunter has been around a little bit and so have Rosemond but it seems to me like they always filled the recruiting role at other stops.  The poor defensive positioning and rotations, fundamental lapses on rebounding, poor FT shooting, not so great scouting of teams (something that Rosemond is horrible at if you believe the info Dakich gets), etc. are the types of things that assistants are usually working on with guys.

We have sleepy NBA guy whois an unofficial assistant and then the 4 Indiana players who come along and probably give opinions (like Wittman) but Woody has a pretty deficient assistant staff when it comes to anything outside recruiting.  You need those guys to be developers and teachers too. 

I expect Woody to be around next year and I expect this year to continue to go down the toilet.  If I am right on both of those things, I hope he shakes up his staff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madison22 said:

Didn't the dad's criticisms of Indiana turn out to be mostly correct?

Justin transferred to Arkansas, led them to an Elite Eight in the NCAAs, averaged career high in scoring, and shot 55% from the field.  Made at least all-conference, maybe higher.  He had a great time playing basketball.  Played well, had energy, delivered on the court.

His team finished #6 in the coach's poll, and lost in the NCAAs to the eventually national champion.

While the IU basketball coach got fired.

Smith just needed a better fit. All the social media stuff from dad, while maybe correct, was unnecessary. 

7 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Smith just needed a better fit. All the social media stuff from dad, while maybe correct, was unnecessary. 

He shot around 50% from the field in his 3 years at IU.  Horrid 3 point shooter and he proved that at Arkansas.   He was basically the exact same player but surrounded with competent shooters for once.  He fed off of back cuts, dunks, and put backs.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think that for the most part.  From Grandma's tweet there might be a little bitterness at the end of the bench, but I think the players are together.

I think it is a coaching issue.  I don't know whom exactly to point the finger at.  I mean we know where the buck stops but I am not super convinced that we have a really great assistant staff.  Hunter has been around a little bit and so have Rosemond but it seems to me like they always filled the recruiting role at other stops.  The poor defensive positioning and rotations, fundamental lapses on rebounding, poor FT shooting, not so great scouting of teams (something that Rosemond is horrible at if you believe the info Dakich gets), etc. are the types of things that assistants are usually working on with guys.

We have sleepy NBA guy whois an unofficial assistant and then the 4 Indiana players who come along and probably give opinions (like Wittman) but Woody has a pretty deficient assistant staff when it comes to anything outside recruiting.  You need those guys to be developers and teachers too. 

I expect Woody to be around next year and I expect this year to continue to go down the toilet.  If I am right on both of those things, I hope he shakes up his staff.

There’s similarity to when Isiaih Thomas coached the Pacers and had about 10 of his friends as assistants. That didn’t go well 

• Like 1

If Logan feels believes what his grandma said then he should just leave now too. Can’t have parents or grandparents saying that shit. Maybe Logan should get some minutes. He definitely is taken them from TJD so maybe he can play 4 or 5 minutes. But nothing he has done on the court to date says he would make the better if playing more. Has a future if he puts work in but family members saying that shit only hurts his chances. 

59 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

If Logan feels believes what his grandma said then he should just leave now too. Can’t have parents or grandparents saying that shit. Maybe Logan should get some minutes. He definitely is taken them from TJD so maybe he can play 4 or 5 minutes. But nothing he has done on the court to date says he would make the better if playing more. Has a future if he puts work in but family members saying that shit only hurts his chances. 

Very poor taste by Dumcomb’s family member. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The men’s team could learn a lot by watching the women play.  I’m watching them play #9 Maryland and they do everything well - run an offense with purpose, play defense, rebound, hit free throws and close out games!

Absolutely. These ladies aren’t drama queens. They play hard and practice hard. If you’ve ever listened to Teri Moren talk to them, she is a great coach. Some of the things she says is like a snippet off an RMK quote. She gets it. The whole team plays with pride and full of heart. 

• Like 4

This is a really good watch. Unfortunately, Purdue is a prime example of this video (deservedly so). I’ve noticed the past few years they’ve had very good motion on offense and this video picks out a couple reasons why. 
Many of us have noticed our poor offense and how it lacks motion (aside from the weave that delays our offense at the beginning of possessions). Notice how shooters are able to get open looks in this offensive scheme? Their Miller Kopp’s aren’t just standing in the corner waiting for an open look. I don’t claim to know more than CMW or anyone on his staff, but it certainly feels like we could benefit from implementing some of this action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe I am paying for all the success some of my teams had when I was young.

Reds 75,76, 90 champions 

IU basketball 76,81,87 plus 75 going undefeated until losing elite 8

Same here but with the added pleasure of 3 ABA crowns for the Pacers. (Not old enough enough to have known about IU in the Rose Bowl LOL).