IUBB 22/‘23

21 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Far too often we have lost games we are 'supposed' to win. It's been a while since we've done the opposite.

That, to me, is more of a testament to the stuff going on between the ears than anything physically.

The first 15 minutes against Iowa was some of the best, most in-sync basketball I've seen IU play in a long time. Maybe Race's injury affected them more than I'm willing to admit, but the team really lost its mojo and focus.

Against NU, the lack of defensive positioning, anticipation, and decisiveness was appalling. Lazy passes, lazy footwork, matador defense... this team needs someone (ie a player) to get in their face and demand accountability. Be the teammate first, friend second.

that and maybe the 247 fouls called against us the 4 against them. Could have had an effect on the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Artesian_86 said:

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/grace-berger-back-without-minutes-restriction-indiana-womens-basketball

Sorry if this has already been posted, but IU women got a huge lift when Grace Berger returned to the court for IU. I say this because of the immense level of confidence a team has when an injured starter returns to the lineup. This is what I’m hoping for X and Race this year. We are down and very vulnerable right now. IMO, being dropped from the top 25 is a blessing in disguise. Until our bench becomes competitive, turnovers are cut down and free throws improve, we are just another soft team. Until these things show improvement, I’m afraid the losses will most likely continue. Man, that hurts to think and talk that way, but it’s just the brutal reality right now! I’m just going to use X’s and Race’s absence as a opportunities for others to get better. They have to, if we want wins. 

The women mostly handled business with her out though.  Maybe the men need to go take some toughness lessons from them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

We really need a different offensive scheme.  The stand around the perimeter and watch TJD either go to the hole like the man child he is or hope he passes it out.  Occasionally when the ball moves around the perimeter is a thing of beauty.  The one thing @IU Scottand I will always seem to agree on is out guards do not move or cut or try to get to open spots nearly enough.  We don't go inside out nearly enough and wait for TJD to do everything.  The 3 man weave at the top of the key is not an offense.  Its time delay.  When was the last time you saw a baseline pass to a cutting player that ended up as an easy layup or HUGE dunk.  We can do better.  Coach needs to do better with as much talent as we have.  

Great post. I agree completely with the 3 man weave. It rarely generates any significant opportunities and we end up with only 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. Severely limits what we’re capable of doing for the remainder of the possession.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

Great post. I agree completely with the 3 man weave. It rarely generates any significant opportunities and we end up with only 15-20 seconds left on the shot clock. Severely limits what we’re capable of doing for the remainder of the possession.

Especially when we run it slow motion with no apparent purpose. If we made hard cuts to the basket off it, then maybe. Most of the time I just don't get what we are trying to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Earl-Calloway-Brian-Evans-202575511/

Brian Evans shares his thoughts on current IUBB starting around the 20 minute mark and extending for roughly 50 minutes.

Summary: Brian Evans is less than thrilled with the current state of the program.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Inequality said:

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Article/Hoosier-Hysterics-Podcast-Earl-Calloway-Brian-Evans-202575511/

Brian Evans shares his thoughts on current IUBB starting around the 20 minute mark and extending for roughly 50 minutes.

One point made during the segment that really stood out to me was about recruiting.  I think it was Ward who said that Woodson is going after some big names in the 2024 class, then asked are we supposed to wait around until then.  I've been worried about this.  It really looked like this staff was going to recruit at a higher level with what they were able to bring in for 2022, but 2023 isn't anywhere near the same level and there is no realistic option left. I like Cupps and Newton, but we needed to add a 5 star level player to the class, but weren't abel to. We will be losing our pre-injury starting 5 more than likely assuming JHS keeps playing at a high level.  Woodson will need to get some big time transfers to get anywhere close to having a competitive team next season.  If by miracle, this team somehow meets or gets close to the preseason expectations that were put on it,  the fans might tolerate a slight drop off next season.  If the season ends in another bottom half of the Big 10 finish, injuries or not, I don't know how anyone can have confidence in the direction the program is heading in with the roster we are projecting to have next season.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Mike said:

Can Woodson survive not making tournament this year and next?Would a 2024 top 5 rated class safe him for another year?

Definitely not 2 years in a row and even if we get some big time recruits in 2024, future classes could be impacted by not making the tournament 2 years in a row, but I guess who really knows with all the NIL stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvilleHoosier said:

One point made during the segment that really stood out to me was about recruiting.  I think it was Ward who said that Woodson is going after some big names in the 2024 class, then asked are we supposed to wait around until then.  I've been worried about this.  It really looked like this staff was going to recruit at a higher level with what they were able to bring in for 2022, but 2023 isn't anywhere near the same level and there is no realistic option left. I like Cupps and Newton, but we needed to add a 5 star level player to the class, but weren't abel to. We will be losing our pre-injury starting 5 more than likely assuming JHS keeps playing at a high level.  Woodson will need to get some big time transfers to get anywhere close to having a competitive team next season.  If by miracle, this team somehow meets or gets close to the preseason expectations that were put on it,  the fans might tolerate a slight drop off next season.  If the season ends in another bottom half of the Big 10 finish, injuries or not, I don't know how anyone can have confidence in the direction the program is heading in with the roster we are projecting to have next season.  

We need the RIGHT kids, period! The ones that are certainly talented, but also have an internal fire about competing and winning, along with a high basketball IQ. I don’t care what they are rated. I’d rather have a less talented kid that knows how to play as opposed to a super athlete that doesn’t have a clue like JG. I’m not sure we have five kids on this team that truly know the game. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EvilleHoosier said:

Have to wait to the spring to see what the 23 class looks like. Last two years we got Bates and Reneau in April

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Have to wait to the spring to see what the 23 class looks like. Last two years we got Bates and Reneau in April

Lots of work to be done in the spring. They don't currently have enough incoming players (2) to replace the 3 players who will run out of eligibility after this season. Then there is almost certainly gone TJD, likely gone JHS, and probably some transfers (Duncomb and JG seem likely to me). For a coaching staff that says they don't want to rely on the portal, they're not doing a good job of landing HS players to fill the needs. Counting on landing players in the spring doesn't seem like a sustainable option, especially if the wheels come off this season.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Lots of work to be done in the spring. They don't currently have enough incoming players (2) to replace the 3 players who will run out of eligibility after this season. Then there is almost certainly gone TJD, likely gone JHS, and probably some transfers (Duncomb and JG seem likely to me). For a coaching staff that says they don't want to rely on the portal, they're not doing a good job of landing HS players to fill the needs. Counting on landing players in the spring doesn't seem like a sustainable option, especially if the wheels come off this season.

No reason not to go to the portal now. You can rebuild teams in a year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

You are right it is still early and Woodson can still can sign a guy late like Reneau or Bates, but neither have been immediate help.  Reneau looked good early, but has since struggled and Bates is playing well in year 2. Need guys who can help immediately with what we are losing and unless someone opens up their recruitment late because of a coaching change, there really aren't many options.  I'm not too optimistic about Woodson going after transfers since he could've have done it last year to further upgrade the talent on the roster, but chose not to. We could've used a perimeter defender like a Dexter Dennis that was available in the portal last year.  Not sure how close he was to transferring here, but we definitely could use a player like him right now.

2 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

You are right it is still early and Woodson can still can sign a guy late like Reneau or Bates, but neither have been immediate help.  Reneau looked good early, but has since struggled and Bates is playing well in year 2. Need guys who can help immediately with what we are losing and unless someone opens up their recruitment late because of a coaching change, there really aren't many options.  I'm not too optimistic about Woodson going after transfers since he could've have done it last year to further upgrade the talent on the roster, but chose not to. We could've used a perimeter defender like a Dexter Dennis that was available in the portal last year.  Not sure how close he was to transferring here, but we definitely could use a player like him right now.

I don’t think Woodson has a choice. He has to hit the portal hard and turnover some of the roster. Call it what you will…”creaning” but there are a few players on this year’s team we need to move on from for next year. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

But... most of this board said that DD wasn't a good fit. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, EvilleHoosier said:

He chose to last year because we didn't have any openings and didn't want to push players out. This year we will be losing 4 guys to graduation and possibly JHS to the draft. I see a couple of transfers so there will be plenty of openings to go after transfers. He got two transfers his first year.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He chose to last year because we didn't have any openings and didn't want to push players out. This year we will be losing 4 guys to graduation and possibly JHS to the draft. I see a couple of transfers so there will be plenty of openings to go after transfers. He got two transfers his first year.

Only 3 players run out of eligibility. TJD could play another year of college ball if he wants to, it's just highly unlikely that he will.

13 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

I don’t think Woodson has a choice. He has to hit the portal hard and turnover some of the roster. Call it what you will…”creaning” but there are a few players on this year’s team we need to move on from for next year. 

They get paid now.  They aren't getting "creaned" anymore, they are getting cut like a pro team does.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Two starters are hurt longterm and our best player has been battling back issues all year. What team in the country would be successful? The social media shit doesnt bother me. Thats the life we live in. This isnt the 80's. 

Go get some fresh air. 

I buy that excuse against Michigan State on the road, I don't against Northwestern at home.  

On the bright side, if your meaning of "fresh air" is once again taking the approach that these games and this team isn't appointment viewing...way ahead of you there.  This wasn't supposed to be that year, but hey, it has been 20 years of this at this point so what's another?

We are basically Excuses University at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I buy that excuse against Michigan State on the road, I don't against Northwestern at home.  

On the bright side, if your meaning of "fresh air" is once again taking the approach that these games and this team isn't appointment viewing...way ahead of you there.  This wasn't supposed to be that year, but hey, it has been 20 years of this at this point so what's another?

We are basically Excuses University at this point.

I don't understand what that means. As in, we should be better than NW without 2 of our starters? We aren't. And more importantly, we played poorly. 

We are not better than NW without 2 of our top 4 players. It's not that hard to admit.  

• Like 4

It's also NOT been 20 years of that, either. Crean won 2 B1G Titles outright and we were damn good those two years, plus Watfords JR year (ya know, when we beat UK) that team was a top 10-12 team, as well. 3 of 5 years we were REALLY good, but no one cared because few liked Crean... so no one wanted to enjoy those times. Or they just wanted to bitch about his mannerisms. Or they wanted to bitch about the over sign.... or insert another useless complaint. 

If it's "been 20 years" it's actually been more like... 30 years or even 35 years.

• Like 4