High School Hoops

rico

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

9 sectionals and 3 title appearances. He'll get hired somewhere. Like we all know the only thing you can't do as a coach is lose. Everything else is ok. 

Absolutely.  Someone will take a chance with that pedigree, especially after he's out of rehab.  I mean, Kelvin Sampson, Rick Pitino and Bruce Pearl are all working.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:28 PM, FKIM01 said:

Joey Hart out at Linton.  At least it sounds like he's addressing his drinking issue.

54b0370e0e5bc5cb2c5d3849223c71679858359db32f94eb14725ac82052edd8.thumb.jpg.242e50a24c4cb91b6cb24af812db1eba.jpg

I hope he can continue down the road to sobriety. No matter how long it's been since the last drink,you are always an alcoholic. I view as suicide, one shot at a time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Absolutely.  Someone will take a chance with that pedigree, especially after he's out of rehab.  I mean, Kelvin Sampson, Rick Pitino and Bruce Pearl are all working.

Yeah… kinda, sorta, maybe. College basketball is big business. ADs are hiring a CEO to be the focal point of their program. High school basketball is about molding young people. Being a mentor. Being an example. Studies show that young people are choosing alcohol as their preferred vice of choice. School board officials have to get re-elected endorsing an alcoholic, even a recovering one, may be a tough sell 

2 hours ago, Milosh68 said:

Forgot about him.

that begs the question of which indiana HS coach has the most mr. Basketball winners under his belt.

Seems like Indianapolis North Central spit out quite a few Mr. Basketballs at the turn of the century(same coach?).  But yeah, impressive that Al coached 3 of them.

31 minutes ago, Milosh68 said:

If Bill Green was the coach of George McGinnis, then he is tied with Doug Mitchell at 4 players. Green had both Lyndon and Jay share the award in 87. Mitchell had 4 players in 4 separate years (99,04,07,2017)

Green did indeed coach Big George... Green's first year at Washington I believe. Jerry Oliver was the Continental's coach when they won the state championship in 65

• 3 weeks later...

@Boiler Sam and @btownqb

To disparage Romeo's high school career after playing injured at IU and his NBA career very much unwritten, its important to note he's only 94 points shy of Steve Alford's nba career scoring totals.   The point.  His post high school career has no bearing on how great it was.  And it was friggin great.  New Albany sought out competition and Romeo carried them.  Sometimes triple teamed.  He was so elusive,  he would slip through guys and still get buckets.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

@Boiler Sam and @btownqb

To disparage Romeo's high school career after playing injured at IU and his NBA career very much unwritten, its important to note he's only 94 points shy of Steve Alford's nba career scoring totals.   The point.  His post high school career has no bearing on how great it was.  And it was friggin great.  New Albany sought out competition and Romeo carried them.  Sometimes triple teamed.  He was so elusive,  he would slip through guys and still get buckets.  

Yep. Thank you. 

Catch it wing/elbow extended-- rip and go baseline.. thing of beauty. 

He avged 37 as a SR 🤣...

But I did ask the parameters of that list, if we are including college/NBA.. sure he moves down the list... 

But if we are talking straight HS.. he is quite a bit higher than someone like Larry Bird. Who obviously dwarfs Romeo post HS, I get that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

As a talent yes but Conley was the most important player the team.

Oden probably disrupted 50 shots a game on the defensive end. 

So, no, I don't agree. 

Conley was the most skilled player on that team and absolutely elite, he's proven that. 

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Oden probably disrupted 50 shots a game on the defensive end. 

So, no, I don't agree. 

Conley was the most skilled player on that team and absolutely elite, he's proven that. 

The fact that those two guys played on the same team middle school through college is amazing.

Obviously Oden couldn’t stay healthy, but that’s the only thing holding them both back from having really good NBA careers on top of all the other accomplishments. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

The fact that those two guys played on the same team middle school through college is amazing.

Obviously Oden couldn’t stay healthy, but that’s the only thing holding them both back from having really good NBA careers on top of all the other accomplishments. 

Playing against them both in 8th grade was something haha. And they had another kid that played at Valpo too. 

I'm wondering if that list was made like Pre 2017. That is the only reason I could think of for Romeo not being in the Top 15. TKR should be very high, as well. Same with Furst. 

But, where was Bailey? who should be #1.... 

Putting Larry Bird #1 sort of shows the true lack of knowledge, imo. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Playing against them both in 8th grade was something haha. And they had another kid that played at Valpo too. 

McPherson was a year older than them but yeah, having a guy that was a 3 year D1 starter and averaged double figures all of those years as your third option is pretty scary.