2025 C Malachi Moreno

DC2345

On 8/15/2024 at 6:53 AM, IUFLA said:

I'm reading a lot of "high school kids are no longer the priority" stuff on X...for example...

Also...

In flux I guess right now, but we'll see which model leads to success I suppose...

Well in a couple short years you won’t have anyone left in the #1 category if you only bring in veteran portal guys. You certainly need to build the backbone of your team with the high schoolers. Just bringing in portal guys you have to teach everyone a new system every year. Defense/offense and instill your culture…and who knows if they will mesh. You need to have a core group that grows with you. Of course the portal is great to then supplement what you lost/need…so hopefully there are less down years…but I can’t imagine successful program for very long on the backs of portal only.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well in a couple short years you won’t have anyone left in the #1 category if you only bring in veteran portal guys. You certainly need to build the backbone of your team with the high schoolers. Just bringing in portal guys you have to teach everyone a new system every year. Defense/offense and instill your culture…and who knows if they will mesh. You need to have a core group that grows with you. Of course the portal is great to then supplement what you lost/need…so hopefully there are less down years…but I can’t imagine successful program for very long on the backs of portal only.

The best portal guys are you can get is Rice and Carlisle who has 3 years of eligibility. Using the portal doesn't mean you get all seniors and have to replenish your whole roster every year

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think things will settle down, and there won't be quite as much portal activity after COVID years dry up, but...

Next year we have 7 that can come back (keep your own)...with the move to 15 scholarships, that would mean we have to fill 8. I'm not sure we can get 8 good kids out of the high school ranks. If we get 4 good players, I'd be happy...then supplement through the portal...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think things will settle down, and there won't be quite as much portal activity after COVID years dry up, but...

Next year we have 7 that can come back (keep your own)...with the move to 15 scholarships, that would mean we have to fill 8. I'm not sure we can get 8 good kids out of the high school ranks. If we get 4 good players, I'd be happy...then supplement through the portal...

I really hope we don't try to fill all 15 scholarships.  There is no need to ever have that many in your roster. You can't keep players happy with a 13 man roster let alone a 15.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The best portal guys are you can get is Rice and Carlisle who has 3 years of eligibility. Using the portal doesn't mean you get all seniors and have to replenish your whole roster every year

The best portal guys go to the nba or enter the portal again typically 

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don’t know how you keep those bottom 3-4 guys on the roster in a 15 man roster…they will have little to no playing time. I guess that is where our money comes in I suppose.

I really hope we don't try to fill all 15 scholarships.  There is no need to ever have that many in your roster. You can't keep players happy with a 13 man roster let alone a 15.

I fill them because you need quality guys to practice against but yeah..would be difficult to retain them if they care about playing.

All they're really doing is putting a couple walk-ons on scholarship. Won't change anything other than cost. 

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Are we really talking about whether or not we made a kids top 8 after he went to another school? Aug. 31st cant get here fast enough.  lol.

It's absolutely riveting. And to think, you wanted to have this thread locked!    😝

• Haha 1