NIL, the AD, and where does the line get drawn (Hoosier Hysterics)

15 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, I can watch it and hope Mike Woodson pulls a rabbit out of a hat and if he doesn't and gets fired, well, I at least got that going for me too.

I support the program, it is bigger than one person.  

And that's fine...🍻Here's to an enjoyable season

• Like 1

15 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Provides a more considered take IMO than the Bozich article. Both ask the question "why now?" with regards to why the Hysterics were cut loose. Bozich assumes it can only be because they turned critical of the coach. TDH makes the economic case that with the rise of other collectives, the value the Hysterics provided was no longer worth the cost of their association with the program. Probably there's some truth in both perspectives, but I appreciate having this counterpoint from someone capable of reading between the lines, and not just transcribing what they heard on a podcast.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Provides a more considered take IMO than the Bozich article. Both ask the question "why now?" with regards to why the Hysterics were cut loose. Bozich assumes it can only be because they turned critical of the coach. TDH makes the economic case that with the rise of other collectives, the value the Hysterics provided was no longer worth the cost of their association with the program. Probably there's some truth in both perspectives, but I appreciate having this counterpoint from someone capable of reading between the lines, and not just transcribing what they heard on a podcast.

I just don't get why some people don't understand this. Of course part of ending the relationship was because of them criticizing the program. What other program would partner with an outside organization, in this case a podcast, that is going to do and say whatever then expect full access to program while getting a cut of what they raised? It made ZERO sense for the program to continue the relationship. The school can do everything those guys were doing and most likely much better. They don't even live in Bloomington!! 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

I just don't get why some people don't understand this. Of course part of ending the relationship was because of them criticizing the program. What other program would partner with an outside organization, in this case a podcast, that is going to do and say whatever then expect full access to program while getting a cut of what they raised? It made ZERO sense for the program to continue the relationship. The school can do everything those guys were doing and most likely much better. They don't even live in Bloomington!! 

A lot of BTB posts on this situation are really off the mark. They just don't like Woody. No matter what he does they'll find something to bag on him about. If he wins it will because he bought players with NIL. If he makes the Final Four but loses then they'll blame him for the loss. If he wins the Big Ten but only gets to the sweet 16, it will be his fault. I am no Woody fanboy or apologist, but some guys bias against him is really just "hoosier hysterics". 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

A lot of BTB posts on this situation are really off the mark. They just don't like Woody. No matter what he does they'll find something to bag on him about. If he wins it will because he bought players with NIL. If he makes the Final Four but loses then they'll blame him for the loss. If he wins the Big Ten but only gets to the sweet 16, it will be his fault. I am no Woody fanboy or apologist, but some guys bias against him is really just "hoosier hysterics". 

A good part of why I left that board.

3 hours ago, Tom White said:

A good part of why I left that board.

Like the old saying, misery loves company. Sports are supposed to be an escape and fun. The anger and pure hatred  directed at a Woody by some is beyond being "passionate". It's borderline psychotic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

Like the old saying, misery loves company. Sports are supposed to be an escape and fun. The anger and pure hatred  directed at a Woody by some is beyond being "passionate". It's borderline psychotic. 

They have an unhealthy hatred for Woodson.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

This article states that...

"It’s important to note that revenue sharing to athletes is all in addition to NIL deals — the sponsorships players negotiate with booster collectives or companies to make appearances in commercials and at charity events. Those can still continue, but an April ruling allowed schools to directly facilitate NIL deals, meaning universities can be an intermediary between athletes and collectives. 

NIL allows the big booster programs to maintain an advantage because with revenue sharing, every power-conference school is paying athletes the same roughly $22 million amount. However, those with big collectives can make up the difference by offering lucrative NIL deals."

So far, we've been very competitive NIL wise, and I'd expect us to maintain that...

Some of the schools that were late to the party are going to suffer for it...

I know this is more football related at this point, but this guy is pretty well connected to Purdue sports, and he sees this coming for the Boilers...

If you read some of the replies, some Boilies still have their heads in the sand (like some of the Boiler posters here)...

As for the comment about "in the gutter fast" like Saturday afternoon fast? ;) 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know this is more football related at this point, but this guy is pretty well connected to Purdue sports, and he sees this coming for the Boilers...

If you read some of the replies, some Boilies still have their heads in the sand (like some of the Boiler posters here)...

As for the comment about "in the gutter fast" like Saturday afternoon fast? ;) 

Wonder if they got tired of saying IU sucks over and over again after each time ND scored. 😆

• Haha 5