NCAAF/National Scene

rico

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They showed clips from yesterday. They had Bama at 8 going into yesterday, no way that performance jumps them all these teams. They've also never overly emphasized conference championship games, outside of OSU in 14. 

If you look at Bama, UGA, and Texas together.... UGA has the "best" loss. And I don't really see that Bama has excelled over the competition enough to jump these teams.  

I’m pretty sure conference championships is supposed to be a criteria. In my mind there are 3 one loss teams, Georgia is the only one who is not a conference champion, which I think should eliminate them. Alabama and Texas are both conference champions and have relatively close resumes, so the head to head win should make the difference.

4 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Am I correct that the SEC's biggest out of conference win is Missouri beating currently 25th ranked K-Sate by 3 at Missouri? Why are we so convinced that either Georgia or Alabama is so good? Because of the number of 5 star recruits?

Just doing a quick search yesterday the biggest OOC win I saw was Kentucky beating Louisville.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Missing from your statement is that Bama struggled with a bad Auburn team and only beat them on some 4th down luck. Also missing is that the refs gifted Bama a TD last night by not reviewing that catch at the end of the first half. That's struggling more than a 9 point road win against Florida and 10 point neutral field win against a ranked Louisville.

edit: I see that it is in fact not missing, but I think being underemphasized by the ESPN types.

Yes! This might be one of the biggest points not discussed enough. Bama fans want to cry about the Texas loss, at home, being early in the season. Unfortunately,  they got completely outplayed by a terrible Auburn team in their last game. They won on a complete fluke play. That has to be a significant factor for the committee.

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I’m pretty sure conference championships is supposed to be a criteria. In my mind there are 3 one loss teams, Georgia is the only one who is not a conference champion, which I think should eliminate them. Alabama and Texas are both conference champions and have relatively close resumes, so the head to head win should make the difference.

I’d put Ohio State over Georgia.  The win at Notre Dame and that close loss at Michigan are better than what Georgia has done this year IMO, but to your point they are both out since they aren’t conference champs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

For sure, but it becomes less consequential. If the argument right now was between Ole Miss and Oklahoma, I just wouldn't care: either team would be out in the first round or two and unless it's my team on the bubble, I just don't care. Similar to Bubble teams in March, I care a lot when it's us, but hardly pay attention when it isn't.

Am I correct that the SEC's biggest out of conference win is Missouri beating currently 25th ranked K-Sate by 3 at Missouri? Why are we so convinced that either Georgia or Alabama is so good? Because of the number of 5 star recruits?

I think I heard yesterday that the SEC was 6-9 against the other power conferences.

2 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I think you really have to emphasize past years to see an argument for Alabama over FSU. 

Here’s the thing, the SEC has been the dominant conference for years and people are still evaluating things based on that. But the transfer portal and NIL throws that history out. No longer can teams horde the best players. How many of the QB’s playing in the big games came from different teams? I think the SEC dominance is on the precipice not of a cliff but of a hill they’re going to take a couple tumbles down. Just my opinion!

Just now, thirdgenhoosier said:

I’d put Ohio State over Georgia.  The win at Notre Dame and that close loss at Michigan are better than what Georgia has done this year IMO, but to your point they are both out since they aren’t conference champs.

They had UGA #1 a week ago, I don't understand how you could drop them out of the top 4 with a 3pt loss to a Top 10 team on a neutral field.  

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

They had UGA #1 a week ago, I don't understand how you could drop them out of the top 4 with a 3pt loss to a Top 10 team on a neutral field.  

That's fair. But, they had OSU #2 two weeks ago. I don't understand how you could drop them out of the top 6 with a 6 point loss to the number 1 team on a road field. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Maybe they shouldn’t have been 1 in the first place?  Maybe they were 1 only because of the conference reputation?The same team that beat them lost at home by 10 to Texas.  Because three other teams haven’t lost and then UGA just lost to that top ten team.  And the biggest factor.  The committee is made up of people and people do all kinds of crazy stuff!  You ask a valid question but at best Georgia should be 5th.  They lost to Alabama so should fall behind them.

3 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The question is were they really #1?

Based off their prior two seasons, unfortunately.  The same reason they kept harping about their 29 game win streak. This year's Georgia team was mediocre and had a terrible schedule. Their two best offensive players were limping last night. The SEC, and especially the east, was really down. Mizzou of all people dominated. I guess someone has to not lose each game.

Maybe they shouldn’t have been 1 in the first place?  Maybe they were 1 only because of the conference reputation?The same team that beat them lost at home by 10 to Texas.  Because three other teams haven’t lost and then UGA just lost to that top ten team.  And the biggest factor.  The committee is made up of people and people do all kinds of crazy stuff!  You ask a valid question but at best Georgia should be 5th.  They lost to Alabama so should fall behind 

Ehhh.. I'm in on the SEC. Any rep they get is deserved. 

1. UM

2. Wash 

3. UGA 

4. Texas 

would by my 4. Sorry, but there isn't a way for me to believe UGA isn't in the Top 4. 

Just now, btownqb said:

1. UM

2. Wash 

3. UGA 

4. Texas 

would by my 4. Sorry, but there isn't a way for me to believe UGA isn't in the Top 4. 

I get the SEC.  But FSU pounded LSU and didn’t lose.  How do you keep them out of the top 4?  That one win was a better noncon win than anyone in the SEC had.  Debate is fun but in a little over an hour I’d be stunned if FSU was out.

I get the SEC.  But FSU pounded LSU and didn’t lose.  How do you keep them out of the top 4?  That one win was a better noncon win than anyone in the SEC had.  Debate is fun but in a little over an hour I’d be stunned if FSU was out.

Thats a very simple answer for me.. because they arent one of the top 4 currently. They had 2 weeks to show what they were without Travis. 

I didn't necessarily say what I thought the committee would do, I said my opinion. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

1. UM

2. Wash 

3. UGA 

4. Texas 

The SEC has the 2nd worst record against other P5 conferences this year, and is 4-6 against the ACC, who has an undefeated conference champ left out in this scenario. I think I probably agree with you that Georgia talent-wise is a top 4 team, but results should matter.

10 minutes ago, Kdug said:

The SEC has the 2nd worst record against other P5 conferences this year, and is 4-6 against the ACC, who has an undefeated conference champ left out in this scenario. I think I probably agree with you that Georgia talent-wise is a top 4 team, but results should matter.

They won their first 12 games?