NCAAF/National Scene

rico

2 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Knowing the SEC and their Dou*** commissioner they’ll be lobbying HARD for both Alabama and Georgia getting in! I wouldn’t put it past the committee to do exactly that?!

They can lobby all they want. It’s not going to happen. Alabama would need both Michigan and FSU to lose. If you remove Georgia (not likely, no #1 seed losing in the conference championship has ever dropped out of the playoff) then it will be Texas. Alabama really has no path

33 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I just heard that FSU is 3-0 v top 25 and the only team to have 8 wins v bowl eligible teams.  Norvell is right.  There are lots of good teams, but the others lost and FSU didn’t.  They’re in IMO.

And they beat LSU, one of the top SEC schools. They should be in without a doubt. SEC was just down this year; it happens.

Michigan, Washington,  FSU, Texas.

Pretty simple.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

And they beat LSU, one of the top SEC schools. They should be in without a doubt. SEC was just down this year; it happens.

Michigan, Washington,  FSU, Texas.

Pretty simple.

The talking heads really really want an SEC team, some even want two, but the argument is really weak.

6 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

The talking heads really really want an SEC team, some even want two, but the argument is really weak.

The SEC continues to carry the myth of superiority because they only play each other. You saw what happened in the ONLY game Georgia or Alabama played a decent team OOC, they LOST to Texas!

• Like 1

Amazing that a hail mary 8 days ago is the reason in 2 hours we'll have this mess.

Best 4 teams are in no order Michigan, Georgia, Bama, Washington.

Deserving teams Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Texas

Arguments. Texas beat Bama. Georgia only lost 1 game by 3 points. FSU struggled with Florida and Louisville in victory.

Edited by Seeking6

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Amazing that a hail mary 8 days ago is the reason in 2 hours we'll have this mess.

Arguments. Texas beat Bama. Georgia only lost 1 game by 3 points. FSU struggled with Florida and Louisville in victory.

Not sure I agree with saying Alabama is better than Texas. 

Actually, I can say I disagree. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Not sure I agree with saying Alabama is better than Texas. 

Actually, I can say I disagree. 

Personally I want to see Texas left out because I want the committee to squirm for the reasons why  they got left out. I truly believe you can’t leave Texas out. “Eye test.” By using my eyes it appears that Texas beat Alabama at Alabama. Which is considered one of the hardest places to play in…. In all America SEC people would claim by 10..,, only loss a last second touchdown to the #12 team…. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Personally I want to see Texas left out because I want the committee to squirm for the reasons why  they got left out. I truly believe you can’t leave Texas out. “Eye test.” By using my eyes it appears that Texas beat Alabama at Alabama. Which is considered one of the hardest places to play in…. In all America SEC people would claim by 10..,, only loss a last second touchdown to the #12 team…. 

Yeah. To me whether you go by "best 4 teams" or "4 most deserving teams", Texas has to make the cut either way, imo.

And I am not a Texas fan. I am coming from a totally neutral perspective.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Yeah. To me whether you go by "best 4 teams" or "4 most deserving teams", Texas has to make the cut either way, imo.

And I am not a Texas fan. I am coming from a totally neutral perspective.

One thing that gets me about the best/deserving commentary is there is almost no talk about losses! Another thing is why has everyone seemingly forgotten about OSU?! People gleefully talk about how OSU was gifted a win against ND but whitewash the hail mary victory over Auburn just a week ago? ND is a better team than Auburn and it’s not close!

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

FWIW--- ESPN had a little commercial-- Michigan, UGA, Washington, and FSU were featured quite a bit, imo. 

I can get down with those 4. We'll see. 

That's the thing I don't hear many talking about. Georgia has 1 3 point neutral site loss on the year. Shoot Dawgs are saying our 1 neutral site loss to Bama is better than a beating at home by Texas. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Missing from your statement is that Bama struggled with a bad Auburn team and only beat them on some 4th down luck. Also missing is that the refs gifted Bama a TD last night by not reviewing that catch at the end of the first half. That's struggling more than a 9 point road win against Florida and 10 point neutral field win against a ranked Louisville.

edit: I see that it is in fact not missing, but I think being underemphasized by the ESPN types.

Edited by HoosierDom
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

One thing that gets me about the best/deserving commentary is there is almost no talk about losses! Another thing is why has everyone seemingly forgotten about OSU?! People gleefully talk about how OSU was gifted a win against ND but whitewash the hail mary victory over Auburn just a week ago? ND is a better team than Auburn and it’s not close!

I think you have to give a fair bit of weight to being a conference champion. That puts OSU and Georgia out. If you don't put any weight at all on that, then I agree, those two have very strong arguments, but as it stands, they're out.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

FWIW--- ESPN had a little commercial-- Michigan, UGA, Washington, and FSU were featured quite a bit, imo. 

I can get down with those 4. We'll see. 

I’d imagine that commercial was probably made before yesterday’s games. I just can’t see an argument for Georgia over Alabama, and I can’t see an argument for Alabama over Texas.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

I’d imagine that commercial was probably made before yesterday’s games. I just can’t see an argument for Georgia over Alabama, and I can’t see an argument for Alabama over Texas.

They showed clips from yesterday. They had Bama at 8 going into yesterday, no way that performance jumps them all these teams. They've also never overly emphasized conference championship games, outside of OSU in 14. 

If you look at Bama, UGA, and Texas together.... UGA has the "best" loss. And I don't really see that Bama has excelled over the competition enough to jump these teams.  

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

One thing I know is that the ‘chosen’ are going to be argued about for years to come. One thing I agree with Urban on, going to 12 teams isn’t going to stop the arguments!

For sure, but it becomes less consequential. If the argument right now was between Ole Miss and Oklahoma, I just wouldn't care: either team would be out in the first round or two and unless it's my team on the bubble, I just don't care. Similar to Bubble teams in March, I care a lot when it's us, but hardly pay attention when it isn't.

Am I correct that the SEC's biggest out of conference win is Missouri beating currently 25th ranked K-Sate by 3 at Missouri? Why are we so convinced that either Georgia or Alabama is so good? Because of the number of 5 star recruits?