USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

9 hours ago, ledies22 said:

can someone explain the AAU thing and why in the deuce it matters?

Because they share academic resources of accredited research universities….and they like to pretend academics still matter. If it becomes two conferences like NFL then it won’t obviously much longer.

On 7/24/2024 at 11:41 AM, TiminNC said:

I wonder if GT would make a big enough splash in Atlanta market.

Just for sh and giggles.  How about these two? 

Texas A&M-  gets Big10 into Texas market and A&M away from UT.  Bigger payout. AAU member

Missouri- gets Big 10 into St. Louis and KC markets, regional rivalries, bigger payout, AAU member.

UNC for the reasons you listed.  FSU if they can get AAU.  

A&M would be a big coup for the BIG…and I could see it after the Texas betrayal. 

If ACC goes then to me it’s this order of most desirable.

1. FSU

2. North Carolina

3. Miami

4. Clemson

5 Virginia

6 NC State

7 Virginia Tech

8 Georgia Tech

Everyrhing else is basically crumbs 

To me if it’s a bidding war I’m spending my money on the top 2 going all in.

Kinda think NC and NC st likely will have to come in a pair like USC UCLA. No doubt SEC would prioritize NC over all others since they already have presence in SC and FL already.

Dream scenario for BIG would be to squirrel A&M away, add FSU, NC, Virginia, and Miami imo and then have ND come aboard to round out 24 teams.

Then have 4 divisions of 6 to play their own final 4 to crown a champ.

West: USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, A&M, Nebraska

North: Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan St, Northwestern

East: Notre Dame, Indiana Illinois, Purdue, Ohio St, Penn St

South: Maryland, Rutgers, Virginia,

NC, FSU, Miami

Football you play your division every year, plus rotate two teams from the other 3 divisions so 10 conference games (two out of conference warm ups??) Seems reasonable to me. Basketball would likely be playing playing everyone once and 1 rival twice for 24 game schedule?? Not sure there. I’ll take my commissioner check direct deposit now lol 😂 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

A&M would be a big coup for the BIG…and I could see it after the Texas betrayal. 

1. FSU

2. North Carolina

3. Miami

4. Clemson

5 Virginia

6 NC State

7 Virginia Tech

8 Georgia Tech

Kinda think NC and NC st likely will have to come in a pair like USC UCLA. No doubt SEC would prioritize NC over all others since they already have presence in SC and FL already.

Dream scenario for BIG would be to squirrel A&M away, add FSU, NC, Virginia, and Miami imo and then have ND come aboard to round out 24 teams.

NC, FSU, Miami

Football you play your division every year, plus rotate two teams from the other 3 divisions so 10 conference games (two out of conference warm ups??) Seems reasonable to me. Basketball would likely be playing playing everyone once and 1 rival twice for 24 game schedule?? Not sure there. I’ll take my commissioner check direct deposit now lol 😂 

No Duke for basketball?

22 hours ago, dgambill said:

1. FSU

2. North Carolina

3. Miami

4. Clemson

5 Virginia

6 NC State

7 Virginia Tech

8 Georgia Tech

NC, FSU, Miami

I had to take one of my shoes off to count conference games in that scenario and I ain't missing any fingers.

IU would play

- 5 division games

- 2 from the West

- 2 from the North

- 2 from the South

That's 11.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

No Duke for basketball?

College Basketball will be a greatly diminished sport from a relevancy standpoint 30 years from now.

The mega conferences will eventually push the mid and lower majors out of the tournament.  Combined with pkayer Free Agency and poor quality/style of play on the court, sports like baseball and volleyball will whittle away at basketball's audience.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I had to take one of my shoes off to count conference games in that scenario and I ain't missing any fingers.

IU would play

- 5 division games

- 2 from the West

- 2 from the North

- 2 from the South

That's 11.

Your right…I failed 😣 

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

College Basketball will be a greatly diminished sport from a relevancy standpoint 30 years from now.

The mega conferences will eventually push the mid and lower majors out of the tournament.  Combined with pkayer Free Agency and poor quality/style of play on the court, sports like baseball and volleyball will whittle away at basketball's audience.

The only reason it has an audience now is there is nothing on in March after football season and before baseball…although that too is fading. We need to get on the pickleball train now…it’s the future!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/26/2024 at 7:50 PM, dgambill said:

Because they share academic resources of accredited research universities….and they like to pretend academics still matter. If it becomes two conferences like NFL then it won’t obviously much longer.

According to the AAU, faculty at their member universities perform 63% of the total amount of federally funded basic research ($28.8 billion).  Federal agencies, such as the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health and the U.S. Department of Defense rely on universities to perform critical research in the national interest.

The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige. Since the AAU's founding, it has "been a grouping of the elite in the American university world", and "[n]ew presidents of nonmember universities often list gaining admission to the AAU as a goal of their administration."[8] For example, in 2010 the chancellor of nonmember North Carolina State University described it as "the pre-eminent research-intensive membership group. To be a part of that organization is something N.C. State aspires to."[10] A spokesman for nonmember University of Connecticut called it "perhaps the most elite organization in higher education. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a major research university that didn't want to be a member of the AAU."[11] In 2012, the newly elected chancellor of University of Massachusetts Amherst, a nonmember of AAU, reaffirmed the objective of elevating the campus to AAU standards and the hope of becoming a member in the near future, and called it a distinctive status.[12] Because of the lengthy and difficult entrance process, boards of trustees, state legislators, and donors often see membership as evidence of the quality of a university.[10]

The AAU acts as a lobbyist at its headquarters in Washington, DC, for research and higher education funding and for policy and regulatory issues affecting research universities. The association holds two meetings annually, both in Washington. Separate meetings are held for university presidents, provosts, and other officials. Because the meetings are private, they offer the opportunity for discussion without media coverage. Prominent government officials, business leaders, and others often speak to the groups.[10]

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Yeah the SEC rolled up a BIG middle finger to TAMU when they brought Texas in. Like the invite perk of veto power over any Texas interest! Interesting that info coming from an Auburn site?

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

Yeah the SEC rolled up a BIG middle finger to TAMU when they brought Texas in. Like the invite perk of veto power over any Texas interest! Interesting that info coming from an Auburn site?

I'd love A&M in the Big 10...College Station is only 97 miles as the crow flies 🙂

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Reacher said:

I wonder when non power football schools start getting pushed out or asked to take a second tier share of the money? My hope would be that we end up with a couple of power basketball conferences, where teams like IU, Kansas and Arizona that don’t have strong football programs form another version of the Big East basketball conference!

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I wonder when non power football schools start getting pushed out or asked to take a second tier share of the money? My hope would be that we end up with a couple of power basketball conferences, where teams like IU, Kansas and Arizona that don’t have strong football programs form another version of the Big East basketball conference!

zero interest in that. We need to keep investing in football and I believe Whitten wants to be good in football. 

Indiana alumni base is massive, multiple times in recent seasons we have finished with very high viewers on some of our games. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

zero interest in that. We need to keep investing in football and I believe Whitten wants to be good in football. 

Indiana alumni base is massive, multiple times in recent seasons we have finished with very high viewers on some of our games. 

Exactly.  That's why a coach like coach Cig is so important.  He isn't here to make us respectable, he's here to win without limitations.  It will be a challenge to compete with OSU and Michigan, but I want someone that instills confidence it can happen. Throw the bank at Julian Lewis and get recruiting elevated; then we'll be in the conversation. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Exactly.  That's why a coach like coach Cig is so important.  He isn't here to make us respectable, he's here to win without limitations.  It will be a challenge to compete with OSU and Michigan, but I want someone that instills confidence it can happen. Throw the bank at Julian Lewis and get recruiting elevated; then we'll be in the conversation. 

I'd rather be good in football than basketball. At the same time, it isn't an either or proposition. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Drroogh said:

IU bball in a power conf? As diehard IU as I am. I think we may need to do the play in for a bit, to re earn that privilege. 
but I’m praying that we can !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUKane21 said:

Most non-alumni that I know who root for IU hoops are ND football fans. 

I fall in that category, but I also as a former competitive athlete think of ND as my big brother! They supported my small college team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drroogh said:

I fall in that category, but I also as a former competitive athlete think of ND as my big brother! They supported my small college team.

I was alway sa ND football fan and IU basketball fan. I want IU football to be good, i just don't think it will ever happen.  More money needs to be thrown around and i don't think that will even happen on a big enough scale to build IU into a legit football program.  Will we have year, yeah, but overall i think we'll always be in the bottom 1/3 to 1/4 of the list.  

7 hours ago, IUKane21 said:

Most non-alumni that I know who root for IU hoops are ND football fans. 

I know 1 person that is an IU hoops, ND football person. I know BOAT LOADS of non-alumni that are huge IUFB fans. 

Edited by btownqb