HSN Fantasy Football 2024

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I've never done a dynasty league but some of you guys on here have my interest peaked. I always enjoy the future stuff too. I mean a player like Quentin Johnston not just this year but when father time catches up with Keenan....where did he go your drafts? Just curious how that stuff plays out in dynasty.

I actually drafted QJ 5th overall. Our format is 1 QB. I wanted him or Addison but went QJ because I have Herbert. Bijan, Gibbs, JSN, and Rashee Rice (reach) went before me. Dynasty is awesome man. Gets the majority of my attention among all my teams for sure. I mean you basically have your own franchise, lol, it's awesome.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I've never done a dynasty league but some of you guys on here have my interest peaked. I always enjoy the future stuff too. I mean a player like Quentin Johnston not just this year but when father time catches up with Keenan....where did he go your drafts? Just curious how that stuff plays out in dynasty.

Yeah I tried to get one going on sleeper for us last year…which has a lot of good tools for fantasy. Very customizable. I’ll happily start one next year if we thought we could get 12 people to sign up. You typically have a taxi squad as well with 2-3 long term guys that acts like your practice squad that can stay on your team for a couple years before you have to call them up (if you do call up they can’t go back on that year). A lot can change…big things I notice is QBs are premium because the top ones don’t go back in pot like redraft…and rbs I think are even less valued because they get old so fast and the systems change or add committees…they just don’t hold the same value year after year. See a lot of teams at trade deadline make trades looking for next season so a win now guy like Mike Evans might go for a young receiver like Addison or Flowers plus a little something. So far the top teams have shuffled quite a bit so it doesn’t stay the same year after year as much as you think.

Big thing is to get an active league…sucks when people don’t continue to play and you have 4 teams with guys you want to trade for and no one running them.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Da'Von Achane will have 0.7 fantasy points this week since I used my #1 waiver position to pick him up in Champions League.  You heard it here first.

Happens to me every time.

Wilson will be coming back soon…then it will be a 3 headed backfield. His and Moserts value will take a hit. Be hard to guess who will hit that week. Of course if they play the Broncos maybe play all 3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDB said:

I actually drafted QJ 5th overall. Our format is 1 QB. I wanted him or Addison but went QJ because I have Herbert. Bijan, Gibbs, JSN, and Rashee Rice (reach) went before me. Dynasty is awesome man. Gets the majority of my attention among all my teams for sure. I mean you basically have your own franchise, lol, it's awesome.

Do you have to dump any of your current players to make room for new? Or do they have years of service so to speak where you can only keep a guy for so long?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wilson will be coming back soon…then it will be a 3 headed backfield. His and Moserts value will take a hit. Be hard to guess who will hit that week. Of course if they play the Broncos maybe play all 3.

That's the scary part because historically they love Wilson over the others. No clue how things shake out there but I'll gladly get as much of that offense as I can. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Do you have to dump any of your current players to make room for new? Or do they have years of service so to speak where you can only keep a guy for so long?

It's different for everyone but ours is 27 roster spots and like 7 or 8 IR spots. We don't do a taxi squad like dgambill was explaining. We transitioned our league to dynasty a few years ago so we're learning and adjusting as we go but next year we will keep 23 guys I believe and then have a 4 round rookie/free agent draft.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Most dynasty you would need to make room by opening day for the new guys you drafted…no one ages out automatically…so you got to manage your roster accordingly. No point in racking up draft picks if you can’t keep them all. I typically just look for a first rd pick and the rest 2nd/3rd rd picks trade away…but if you are rebuilding then yeah you may want multiple picks. One move I like to do is I may trade a first rd pick for a really good player then after the season trade him again for someone else’s first rd pick…and it is usually higher than what mine would be. So I sell my pick which ends up being say 10-12 range…land a guy like Davonte Adams then swap Adams after the season for another guys 1st which ends up being top 4-5. Doesn’t always happen but man it just opens up a lot deeper interactions and thinking.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KDB said:

It's different for everyone but ours is 27 roster spots and like 7 or 8 IR spots. We don't do a taxi squad like dgambill was explaining. We transitioned our league to dynasty a few years ago so we're learning and adjusting as we go but next year we will keep 23 guys I believe and then have a 4 round rookie/free agent draft.

Wow that’s a lot of players? 10 or 12 team and how many flex spots?

I know with a couple of my leagues because they aren’t deep like yours it ends up being more of a keeper league…because you shuffle through the bottom of the roster so there is a lot of turnover each year and you can’t really hord up guys. Heck a lot of mine aren’t deep enough to even have a handcuff because they don’t have IR and very limited bench spots.  But those are more hardcore leagues.

Edited by dgambill

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the scary part because historically they love Wilson over the others. No clue how things shake out there but I'll gladly get as much of that offense as I can. 

Given Wilson's and Mostert's injury history, Achane could have it all to himself at some point this season.  

Being that I am 0-3 and started Tyler Allgeier at RB2 last week, I'm willing to take on a little risk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, KDB said:

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Most dynasty you would need to make room by opening day for the new guys you drafted…no one ages out automatically…so you got to manage your roster accordingly. No point in racking up draft picks if you can’t keep them all. I typically just look for a first rd pick and the rest 2nd/3rd rd picks trade away…but if you are rebuilding then yeah you may want multiple picks. One move I like to do is I may trade a first rd pick for a really good player then after the season trade him again for someone else’s first rd pick…and it is usually higher than what mine would be. So I sell my pick which ends up being say 10-12 range…land a guy like Davonte Adams then swap Adams after the season for another guys 1st which ends up being top 4-5. Doesn’t always happen but man it just opens up a lot deeper interactions and thinking.

So for a draft coming up like this where you have potentially generational talents do you guys have systems in place to prevent tanking? Or is tanking just part of it like in real sports? I mean Williams, Drake, Harrison Jr....

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Given Wilson's and Mostert's injury history, Achane could have it all to himself at some point this season.  

Being that I am 0-3 and started Tyler Allgeier at RB2 last week, I'm willing to take on a little risk.

You might be right…although Archane missed most the preseason with inuries…I still think it’s a good add. Worth the risk if you can pick the right spots to play him.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow that’s a lot of players? 10 or 12 team and how many flex spots?

I know with a couple of my leagues because they aren’t deep like yours it ends up being more of a keeper league…because you shuffle through the bottom of the roster so there is a lot of turnover each year and you can’t really hord up guys. Heck a lot of mine aren’t deep enough to even have a handcuff because they don’t have IR and very limited bench spots.  But those are more hardcore leagues.

12 team 1 QB, 2 flex

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To get a feel for what the roster size does to the player pool, do you mind sharing a name or two of non-rookies that you consider to be the end of your bench?

Possibly related question.  How many QBs do you typically carry?

Some guys I would consider to be the end of my bench that are non-rookies: Trey McBride, Isaiah Likely, Chase Claypool, Devin Singletary ... I would add that I have like 5 or 6 unproven dart throw rookies rostered.

I literally only have 1 QB. Justin Herbert. I guess I do have Hendon Hooker in one of my IR spots, but yeah I don't really even have a backup QB. I am probably the only person in the league who's employing that strategy. LOL. There's no real reason, I just don't have one. We only kept 17 going into this year so our draft was actually 8 rounds for rookies/free agents.. my plan was to draft a QB in the middle rounds and I ended up getting Hooker but no actual starting QB's. Jameis Winston and Zach Wilson are the only available QBs who actually are currently starting.. There is a guy in the league who has Patrick Mahomes, Trevor Lawrence, Dak Presscott, and Bryce Young - so it really just depends. (Now that you bring it up, I am noticing I should probably trade for a serviceable backup QB!) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So for a draft coming up like this where you have potentially generational talents do you guys have systems in place to prevent tanking? Or is tanking just part of it like in real sports? I mean Williams, Drake, Harrison Jr....

Up to the commissioner honestly. Some have random drafts every year regardless of finish…I think it’s hard to limit tanking other than kick a guy out of the league if you think he is creating a league imbalance. That said I mean so you get 1 pick…on a bad team…how much will that put you over the top? Is landing Williams any better than having Joe Burrow? I think we all have seen enough fantasy to know that just having one top player won’t move the needle much. If a guy wants to lose games on purpose it isn’t ideal but I’ll just take my W when we play and he can have the rookies when the time comes for the draft. I think the first year of a dynasty draft is the most crucial because if you make poor decisions then it really can set you back from awhile and you can get locked out of some really good players you like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I tried to get one going on sleeper for us last year…which has a lot of good tools for fantasy. Very customizable. I’ll happily start one next year if we thought we could get 12 people to sign up. You typically have a taxi squad as well with 2-3 long term guys that acts like your practice squad that can stay on your team for a couple years before you have to call them up (if you do call up they can’t go back on that year). A lot can change…big things I notice is QBs are premium because the top ones don’t go back in pot like redraft…and rbs I think are even less valued because they get old so fast and the systems change or add committees…they just don’t hold the same value year after year. See a lot of teams at trade deadline make trades looking for next season so a win now guy like Mike Evans might go for a young receiver like Addison or Flowers plus a little something. So far the top teams have shuffled quite a bit so it doesn’t stay the same year after year as much as you think.

Big thing is to get an active league…sucks when people don’t continue to play and you have 4 teams with guys you want to trade for and no one running them.

What is this trade you speak of.....:coffee:

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Edit disclaimer.  My$ league is 2 man keeper.

So I drafted Mark Andrew's in the 14th rd years ago and I just picked up Chubb off waivers and stashed him in IR.  I can keep him as my 16th pick if I choose to do so.  I'm 0-3 on the year and thinking I should dump Kelsey before his value as a #1 pick starts to slip.  He did have his first injury and he's bound to have woman issues sooner than later.  

I'm ready to ship anyone for higher draft picks at this point for the year and start fresh next year.  I won the league in year 2 so I'm still playing g with house money.  Screwed up royally with this year's draft, by forgetting about the draft until 45 mins in.  

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I strongly prefer dynasty over redraft at this point. Only redraft leagues I do are HSN and a long-time one I've been in, everything else is dynasty for me at this point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I strongly prefer dynasty over redraft at this point. Only redraft leagues I do are HSN and a long-time one I've been in, everything else is dynasty for me at this point. 

Never done pure Dynasty, but am in year 2 of a keeper league with 26 man rosters that includes IDP instead of team defense.

Kept 6 after last season and that number increases to 9 after this season.  No round attachment to any keeper.

I enjoy it, but even in just year 2, I see other teams in the league that will struggle for years to contend.  

I enjoy both formats, but one of the things I enjoy the most is the draft itself.  Did some  bestball drafts this year for the first time (20 of them).  That's been helpful in further developing my draft strategy.

Edited by 5fouls

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

One of my leagues is a hybrid of redraft each year (been doing for 25+ years) but we also added the Fanduel component to it as well where guys can win still even if their regular fantasy has been decimated by injuries.

Been a fun way to mix the past and present.